OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons...what are appropriate places to get them?  (Read 1182 times) Average Rating: 0
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« on: December 25, 2010, 11:27:36 PM »

Christ is born!!!

As the subject line suggests, I am looking for Icons to place in our soon to be Prayer Corner. I know that Icons can be gotten at many EO supply stores, monasteries, and such...but are there other places to get Icons? When I say acceptable, what I mean is in relation to where the Icon is created and or bought. There are some very pretty ones on Etsy.com, but I don't know if that is appropriate within Orthodoxy. Also, the only Icon prayer card I have now is the Theotokos with Christ...but it is a RC card done in Byzantine style. Being so new to everything, this has been a question to only begin to form in my learning mind...  laugh Any help is appreciated!

In Christ,
     Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »

I would think any icon as long as it is a Holy Orthodox Icon can be purchased from most any source.  People may buy them from antique shops, etc.  There are icons that do not meet the qualifications of being Orthodox that are sold on the mass market.  Some icons sold by Roman Catholic sources are sometimes deficient.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »

Best bet would be to ask your priest... I looked at the website you mentioned and I saw some black and white icons and I do not know how well that would go over as I am new to Orthodoxy, but I do know (or think) that the color can be important and has some kind of meaning. You can go to certain actual Orthodox websites that have pictures of icons you can save and sometimes print off (if the quality is good enough) then have laminated, framed and blessed (again with the blessing of your priest.) I wish I could offer more insight for you.

Christ is born!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

Thanks for the responses! I will check with my priest. I guess I'm wondering about if there are questions of "valid" Icons. Are some sacrementally good, and others not. I realize to stay from RC icon images...I would only want Orthodox Icons...but I suppose I want to know how to tell....is there prayers or blessings that must be said over Icons before they may be venerated?

I appreciate any responses...Icons are beyond my experience as a newcomer.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »

Thanks for the responses! I will check with my priest. I guess I'm wondering about if there are questions of "valid" Icons. Are some sacrementally good, and others not. I realize to stay from RC icon images...I would only want Orthodox Icons...but I suppose I want to know how to tell....is there prayers or blessings that must be said over Icons before they may be venerated?

From my experience, priests will place your icons on the altar during the Divine Liturgy and bless them. That would be my recommendation for you. It may be hard for you to do that as it's difficult for you to get to a temple very often, but that's something you can talk to your priest about.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »

From my experience, priests will place your icons on the altar during the Divine Liturgy and bless them. That would be my recommendation for you. It may be hard for you to do that as it's difficult for you to get to a temple very often, but that's something you can talk to your priest about.

In Christ,
Andrew

I believe there's also a tradition that simply has the priest say a prayer of blessing over the icons and possibly sprinkle them with holy water for a blessing.

I also believe that it is a typical understanding that icons received from a monastery are already blessed.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:41 PM »

Perhaps you can inquire about finding an iconographer who has been blessed by his/her teacher or Bishop.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
silouancampbell
Moderated

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »

damascenegallery.com sells high quality mounted icons, authentic antique icons, newly painted icons, and printed frescoes.  you may have a look at their site.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »

Some more experienced Orthodox Christians I know have taken up creating their own Icons to save money and going through all of the trouble to find them. They do it by printing out a full page picture of a particular Orthodox Icon, buy a frame or even a sturdy piece of cardboard, and laminate the picture onto it and boom, you got yourself a homemade Icon. They said that it is really easy and you get can all the stuff at an arts & crafts store for only like $15-$20.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

Have you guys checked out damascene gallery? I mean the damascene gallery? It's probably the best site to find icons, that damascene gallery. So head on over to the damascene gallery and get your icons.

Oh and damascene gallery.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Have you guys checked out damascene gallery? I mean the damascene gallery? It's probably the best site to find icons, that damascene gallery. So head on over to the damascene gallery and get your icons.

Oh and damascene gallery.

Naughty boy!  Shocked Grin
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: