OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Near-Death Experiences / "Afterlife" experiences  (Read 1155 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 25, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences regarding the above two? If not is there any sort of scientific/psychological observatons on these topics? I'm a bit skeptical on diving into NDE books because it seems like it would be an easy topic to sensationalize about.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »

I saw a PBS documentary - can't remember what it was called that was pretty interesting.  There are a few scientists out there that are doing some experimenting, but there is not a lot of support or funding.  There are some experiments with quantum physics that are seeking to prove that there is something that does exist after the body dies - but I don't know much about it. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »

Near death experiences are not actual transitions into an afterlife.  Your brain can hallucinate when deprived of oxygen.  

Though I am sure there are many authors who would wish to sell you their book based on their experience.  For your money you'd be better off buying a stoner lunch and asking him some questions. 

Sorry I do not know of any studies or evaluations of those that have had a nde.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:18:54 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »

"Pim Van Lommel and his team at Hospital Rijnstate in the Netherlands interviewed 344 patients who were resuscitated after heart failure at 10 hospitals across the country. The patients were questioned as soon as they were well enough.

Eighteen per cent reported an NDE - classed as a memory of "a special state of consciousness, including specific elements such as out-of-body experience, pleasant feelings and seeing a tunnel."
Van Lommel's team report anecdotal stories of patients recalling events that happened around them during out of body experiences while they were clinically dead. These experiences "push at the limit of medical ideas about the range of human consciousness and the mind/brain relationship," Van Lommel says.

Christopher French, at the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths College, London, says the team's paper is "intriguing", though he notes that van Lommel's team failed to contact the patients for corroboration. He points out that NDEs are impossible to objectively verify - and that out of body experiences have not been proved to exist.

But, in a commentary on the research, he writes: "the out of body component of the NDE offers probably the best hope of launching any kind of attack on current concepts of the relationship between consciousness and brain function."

If researchers could prove that clinically dead patients, with no electrical activity in their cortex, can be aware of events around them and form memories, this would suggest that the brain does not generate consciousness, French and Van Lommel think."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »

"Pim Van Lommel and his team at Hospital Rijnstate in the Netherlands interviewed 344 patients who were resuscitated after heart failure at 10 hospitals across the country. The patients were questioned as soon as they were well enough.

Eighteen per cent reported an NDE - classed as a memory of "a special state of consciousness, including specific elements such as out-of-body experience, pleasant feelings and seeing a tunnel."
Van Lommel's team report anecdotal stories of patients recalling events that happened around them during out of body experiences while they were clinically dead. These experiences "push at the limit of medical ideas about the range of human consciousness and the mind/brain relationship," Van Lommel says.

Christopher French, at the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths College, London, says the team's paper is "intriguing", though he notes that van Lommel's team failed to contact the patients for corroboration. He points out that NDEs are impossible to objectively verify - and that out of body experiences have not been proved to exist.

But, in a commentary on the research, he writes: "the out of body component of the NDE offers probably the best hope of launching any kind of attack on current concepts of the relationship between consciousness and brain function."

If researchers could prove that clinically dead patients, with no electrical activity in their cortex, can be aware of events around them and form memories, this would suggest that the brain does not generate consciousness, French and Van Lommel think."

Does not the soul generate consciousness and enliven the body?

On a side note regarding earliest memories: I can remember some events that took place when I was only 1.5 years old. And no, my mother did not tell me about them, but when I asked questions about those events, my mom was simply amazed. My dad remembered events when he was only about 1.5 to 2.0 years of age to the embarrassment of his aunts who were breastfeeding their children in his presence. They did not think that children that young could remember such things.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:46:29 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »

According to modern Western science, the physical body generates consciousness and the 'soul', and consciousness and the 'soul' cease to exist with the death of the physical body.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:06:24 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »

According to modern Western science, the physical body generates consciousness and the 'soul', and consciousness and the 'soul' cease to exist with the death of the physical body.

Yet what findings does science have regarding the 'soul'?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »

Yet what findings does science have regarding the 'soul'?
How are you defining "soul"? Awareness? The nous? The spiritual core of your self? In modern Western science, any or all these processes would be generated by the physical body.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 01:00:36 AM »

Well I was about to ask what you meant by 'soul' regarding Western science's approach to it. They say it's connected from the body, but how exactly do they determine what this 'soul' even is?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »

Well I was about to ask what you meant by 'soul' regarding Western science's approach to it. They say it's connected from the body, but how exactly do they determine what this 'soul' even is?
Whatever it is, if it exists, it is generated by the physical body.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »

Whatever it is, if it exists, it is generated by the physical body.

In my opinion, that is backwards Western thinking.

The soul enlivens the body, not the other way around.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »

In my opinion, that is backwards Western thinking.

The soul enlivens the body, not the other way around.

Exactly.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »

I suppose I have experienced what most associate with NDEs after an incident when I lost a good deal of blood.  Odd visuals, sounds, feeling content, etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:46:44 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »

Wasn't this discussed on this forum before somewhere....... Huh

What about the people that encounter a Being of Light ,They interpret as Christ,all welcoming,
they claim that he eminated peace,, though in their lifes they never repented or were religious ,but this being accepts them as they are....
Could this being be the Angel of Light[Statan ], to decieve them into thinking their not sinners......Curious about it....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:14:58 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »

What about the people that encounter a Being of Light ,They interpret as Christ,all welcoming,
they claim that he eminated peace,, though in their lifes they never repented or were religious ,but this being accepts them as they are....
Could this being be the Angel of Light[Statan ], to decieve them into thinking their not sinners......Curious about it....

This "Being of Light" bothers me too.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »

Wasn't this discussed on this forum before somewhere....... Huh

I did not consider this before, I believe you have a good point.  I do think a solely physical phenomenon can explain near-death experiences, but indeed if I am wrong I agree one must be cautious for reasons like you stated.  

I am unfamiliar with the Orthodox church but I wonder if there will be any official guidance concerning near-death experiences?  There is no papacy so I do not know what is customary in such a situation.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:10:08 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: