OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:52:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went to a a midnight mass last night...  (Read 727 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: December 25, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »

and all I can say is WOW! I have been to a couple Catholic services before, but this was like none other I've been to. The choir was absolutely incredible (they also had trumpets, strings, etc.) and they sung all the well known Christmas songs...Gloria, Come all ye faithful, Silent Night, etc. The balcony looked like it would only hold a dozen people, but it sounded like 100! I brought my protestant brother and his g/f along, and they really enjoyed it as well. In fact, they couldn't find one thing to 'protest' about. Anyways, I always heard that Catholics knew how to do Christmas services, but I had no idea it was this good...anyways just thought I would share my experiences and give my official seal of approval...
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

Well, we didn't have instruments. but the music at our mass was great, too. It was a joyous evening. Afterward, we sang carols for a while.

It was snowing gently in Chicago at 2 AM when I drove home. I didn't go into the house at first. I just stood there for 5 minutes. All was silent and perfectly still, not a branch moved. Snow crystals kissed my cheeks. The sky glowed and the snow in the trees shown with a silvery light. All was peace. I felt I was in heaven. I could have stood there forever. Truly, it was the most perfect Christmas Eve I can ever remember. Glorify Him.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:18:06 PM by sainthieu » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »

I would love to go to a Catholic tridentine Rite Midnight Mass. Too bad they don't do those anymore, at least not often. Now, THAT is beautiful!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »

I thought about going to a Catholic mass, since the Orthodox liturgy was impossible to attend due to my work schedule. I didn't go though, although I wish I did.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »

I went to a Roman Catholic mass at 10:00 today to take my dear Grandma, and it was a bit lackluster (not that I like critiquing others' prayers). But there were three minstrels playing triple-guitars, doing folk renditions of Christmas carols. The church itself was old and gorgeous, but nothing about the service fit with the building. I saw statues of saints but felt like hippies had taken over the place, and the saints were kind of uncomfortably standing along the sides, a bit confused. The whole affair took about 40 minutes, and I left feeling very glad to be in the Orthodox Church.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

I went to a Roman Catholic mass at 10:00 today to take my dear Grandma, and it was a bit lackluster (not that I like critiquing others' prayers). But there were three minstrels playing triple-guitars, doing folk renditions of Christmas carols. The church itself was old and gorgeous, but nothing about the service fit with the building. I saw statues of saints but felt like hippies had taken over the place, and the saints were kind of uncomfortably standing along the sides, a bit confused. The whole affair took about 40 minutes, and I left feeling very glad to be in the Orthodox Church.

That indeed sounds lackluster. I guess it's kind of a mixed bag these days.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »

Thank God every day for the strength of your liturgy.

At my parish, it was beautiful. The parish was wonderfully decorated. We had adoration, exposition, and benediction immediately before. The prayers were all chanted. The priest and the deacons wore beautiful gothic style vestments - the altar servers were incredibly reverent (one acolyte on his way to the diaconate, three seminarians, and a host of other young men). The priest even offered Mass ad orientem.

My parish was packed, and there are many, many young people. Do not worry, while the hippies dominated for a bit, things are getting much better.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »

I think that the descriptions here of Midnight Mass experiences provide us with some anecdotal evidence of the 'fault line' within the Roman Church today. If theological consultations move us ever so closer to some sort of 'rapprochement' between East and West, I suspect that you will see an 'earthquake' within the Roman Church that would fracture that 'fault line' between those of a more 'modernist' preference and the 'traditionalists'. Of course, I suspect that my Roman brothers here would make a similar observation about us!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »

Well, we didn't have instruments. but the music at our mass was great, too. It was a joyous evening. Afterward, we sang carols for a while.

It was snowing gently in Chicago at 2 AM when I drove home. I didn't go into the house at first. I just stood there for 5 minutes. All was silent and perfectly still, not a branch moved. Snow crystals kissed my cheeks. The sky glowed and the snow in the trees shown with a silvery light. All was peace. I felt I was in heaven. I could have stood there forever. Truly, it was the most perfect Christmas Eve I can ever remember. Glorify Him.
Chicago? Where did you go for DL?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

I think that the descriptions here of Midnight Mass experiences provide us with some anecdotal evidence of the 'fault line' within the Roman Church today. If theological consultations move us ever so closer to some sort of 'rapprochement' between East and West, I suspect that you will see an 'earthquake' within the Roman Church that would fracture that 'fault line' between those of a more 'modernist' preference and the 'traditionalists'. Of course, I suspect that my Roman brothers here would make a similar observation about us!

One must never wish for such a thing...Not that I think that you do!!...but I hear others, including our own Papa saying that the Church would be smaller and more devout for it.    Not that he wishes it either!!!

But the danger is in the idea that we might rightfully leave behind those who would vehemently refuse to go.

I would argue that we must never stop thinking about those souls and encouraging those near us who are in that situation, to try their best to reconsider, and not stop exhorting them.

M.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: