OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Readings  (Read 593 times) Average Rating: 0
Morgan

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »

Hi all,

Im new here and I wanted to post regarding my dilemma on which ascetical book to buy for my Christmas break. I have read on orthodoxwiki that The Ladder of Divine Ascent being labelled as the most theologically important work second only to the Bible (this is what Im looking for). In Bishop Kallistos intro in that book I glimpsed his recommendation of St Basil's Asketikon as the most major ascetic work -- is it? or is The Ladder the most major? This confused me as to which book I should get.   Huh  ---The Philokalia is out of my scope due to its immense size that would require a longer and more dedictaed period of time to study and it being a work composed from many writers rather than one.--- so please recommend one from the two mentioned above and mention why you chose it.

In Christ,

Morgan
Morgan

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »

Bump! Smiley
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »

My spiritual father had me read "The Ladder" about two years ago.  It requires a lot of spiritual guidance to get through it.  And one needs to be solid in their spiritual life, which includes attending the divine services regularly, doing your daily prayer rule, keeping the fasts, and other such things as prescribed by the Church and your spiritual father. 

And the Philokalia is probably a bad idea anyway, so just avoid it for a while. 

If you are looking for a good ascetical work, I'd recommend "Discourses and Sayings" of Abba Dorotheos.  With all of these works mentioned, it is good to remember that their primary audience was/is monastics and so the application for a layman is probably going to be different.

John

P.S.  Your profile says you are "Oriental Orthodox" but in the OCA.  Can you explain that?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:36:48 PM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »

I am Coptic Orthodox to be more specific. The reasoon I specified OCA was because I live here in the US so I live under the Orthodox Church jurisdiction in the American region.

i understand that the applications of these works should be different for a layman, but I believe that Im ready to read it and other similar works. I am considering becoming a monk one day and wanted to know which work was the primiere choice for monasticism in the Eastern Orthodox realm.

In Christ,

Morgan
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »

I'm finding "St. Silouan the Athonite" by Archimandrite Sophrony to be an excellent read. Granted, I'm only a few chapters into it-- but it's worth checking into if you're interested/considering monasticism.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:54:27 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: