Author Topic: Daily devotional books...  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Daily devotional books...
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
I have recently acquired the prayer book from Jordanville (Holy Trinity Monastery) and along with my Bible use both daily.

I would like to include the Psalter in my daily prayer, is this a good one to use? http://www.amazon.com/Psalter-According-Holy-Transfiguration-Monastery/dp/0943405009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292885508&sr=1-1

Any other books one would recommend for daily usage in one's spiritual life?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
Re: Daily devotional books...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
It would be good to check with your priest and ask for a little rule of prayer. Otherwise, one can try to do too much and burn out. Or, one may be doing a lot in the spirit of pride. With a prayerbook and a psalter, however, one already has an inexhaustible treasury.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
It's a great book to have, but I agree with Shanghaiski.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Margaret S.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
Before I found a priest who bears fools gladly, ie, my spiritual father, I found the Jordanville Prayer Book to be a good resource.

regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
It would be good to check with your priest and ask for a little rule of prayer. Otherwise, one can try to do too much and burn out. Or, one may be doing a lot in the spirit of pride. With a prayerbook and a psalter, however, one already has an inexhaustible treasury.

I hear you on the doing too much and burning out, it's hard for me since I love reading up on the patristics, the Bible, and things regarding Orthodoxy. I'm just really excited about it and it's hard to incorporate all of this slowly; I guess I can blame the impatient society I have grown up in.

I guess I'm scared as well that if I don't get baptized, christmated and partake in the communion that my soul won't be saved.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »
Have you talked to a priest yet ?
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
I have recently acquired the prayer book from Jordanville (Holy Trinity Monastery) and along with my Bible use both daily.

I would like to include the Psalter in my daily prayer, is this a good one to use? http://www.amazon.com/Psalter-According-Holy-Transfiguration-Monastery/dp/0943405009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292885508&sr=1-1

Any other books one would recommend for daily usage in one's spiritual life?

Jordanville is planning on publishing its own Psalter within the year I believe. It will have more supplementary material than the HTM version and it is based on the Coverdale translation.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »

I've talked to him by email, met him in the bookstore (and it was that same day I bought the prayer book, and he talked a little bit about it...but no guidance on how to use it. He was actually preparing for a funeral so I am not sure how much time he had to discuss).

I try to sit on the right side of the pews, so when I take the blessed bread at the end of the Liturgy, I take it from the priest side which I hope he sees as me taking this very seriously.

I'm in my twenties, so I don't know if judgment is being placed because of my age and if because of that I'm not taking it seriously.

I initially sent the priest an email to convert into Orthodoxy and attend the Wednesday inquiry classes. I have regularly attended, but I don't feel as if I am a "catchumen".

It's just disheartening, I don't feel a part of the congregation, I just dont know how to express how serious I am with Orthodoxy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:39 AM »

I've talked to him by email, met him in the bookstore (and it was that same day I bought the prayer book, and he talked a little bit about it...but no guidance on how to use it. He was actually preparing for a funeral so I am not sure how much time he had to discuss).

I try to sit on the right side of the pews, so when I take the blessed bread at the end of the Liturgy, I take it from the priest side which I hope he sees as me taking this very seriously.

I'm in my twenties, so I don't know if judgment is being placed because of my age and if because of that I'm not taking it seriously.

I initially sent the priest an email to convert into Orthodoxy and attend the Wednesday inquiry classes. I have regularly attended, but I don't feel as if I am a "catchumen".

It's just disheartening, I don't feel a part of the congregation, I just dont know how to express how serious I am with Orthodoxy.

Have you considered attending a different Orthodox parish?  I visited several over an extended period until I was sure I was where I belonged.  While all parishes/ Jurisdictions are equally Orthodox, each has its own feel and nuances.  Priests are human-beings and are different as individuals also.

I love my priest and feel blessed to have him as my pastor.  I began attending his parish in December and was baptized and chrismated on Holy Saturday four months later.  Of course I attended (and still do) each Sunday, and every feast day that I can make.  I also had done quite a bit of study on my own about Orthodoxy over the years prior to approaching the Church about becoming a member.

At the other parishes I had visited I did not get that "I am home" feeling that I did at the parish and jurisdiction that I ultimately joined.  I do not know all of the details concerning your situation, but you might want to give some thought to visiting other parishes in your area if that is a possibility and speaking with the priests if the opportunity arises.

I will keep you in my prayers.  I certainly understand your anxiety.

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »
P.S.

I am only guessing that you are in Denver (Western-rite of the Antiochian Archdiocese) by the information that you have given.  If this is correct, the Greek Orthodox Assumption of the Theotokos and the Orthodox Church in America Holy Transfiguration parishes are there, as well as All Saints of Russia, which is part of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

In nearby Lakewood is St. John the Baptist Serbian (part of the diocese that I belong to), as well as St. Herman's Orthodox Church in America parish in Littleton.

Perhaps you are aware of these already.  I hope that I have been of some help.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
Doesn't Antiochian WR Vicariate have some kind of WR prayerbook? To each his/her own I guess and of course there's nothing wrong with Eastern prayer books but why not to stick with one's own tradition?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:15:40 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 04:15:18 AM »
Doesn't Antiochian WR Vicariate have some kind of WR prayerbook? I find it a little weird that WR faithful are using Byzantiner prayerbook.

I wondered about that as well.  Also, when it was mentioned about being on the right side of the church to be able to see the priest when taking the antidoron.  We always meet the priest at the end of the liturgy to kiss the cross and receive the blessing, at which time Father hands us the bread.  There is no way to get the bread without meeting the priest.

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:26:02 AM »
Doesn't Antiochian WR Vicariate have some kind of WR prayerbook? To each his/her own I guess and of course there's nothing wrong with Eastern prayer books but why not to stick with one's own tradition?
This prayer book might be the one for WRO. It says it's specifically designed for use by Orthodox Christians of the Western Rite: http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose.html

A glance at the contents: http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose_prayer.pdf

I like it :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:27:26 AM by ChristusDominus »
There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 04:38:16 AM »
This prayer book might be the one for WRO. It says it's specifically designed for use by Orthodox Christians of the Western Rite:

It might have been intended as such and might serve it's purpose but it seems to be work of some enthusiastic individual since it contains devotion to Sacred Heart of Jesus which is unapproved even in the Antiochian Archdiocese if I remember correctly. I meant something a little more official or standard.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:39:03 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »
Have you considered attending a different Orthodox parish?  I visited several over an extended period until I was sure I was where I belonged.  While all parishes/ Jurisdictions are equally Orthodox, each has its own feel and nuances.  Priests are human-beings and are different as individuals also.
Oh absolutely on the last part. I don't fault the priest I visited before. His congregation is huge, so that was a reason why I had to go to another parish for help with my spirituality. I didn't feel I could be transformed as in the other parish.

I love my priest and feel blessed to have him as my pastor.  I began attending his parish in December and was baptized and chrismated on Holy Saturday four months later.  Of course I attended (and still do) each Sunday, and every feast day that I can make.  I also had done quite a bit of study on my own about Orthodoxy over the years prior to approaching the Church about becoming a member.

Congratulations on your baptism and chrismastion, many years! I am happy you found a priest that you love!

At the other parishes I had visited I did not get that "I am home" feeling that I did at the parish and jurisdiction that I ultimately joined.  I do not know all of the details concerning your situation, but you might want to give some thought to visiting other parishes in your area if that is a possibility and speaking with the priests if the opportunity arises.

I will keep you in my prayers.  I certainly understand your anxiety.

Thank you for your prayers. And yes I agree, get a good feel of other parishes. I think it's nice to see each different type (Greek, Serbian, Russian etc), and see what makes you feel at home.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:32 AM »
P.S.

I am only guessing that you are in Denver (Western-rite of the Antiochian Archdiocese) by the information that you have given.  If this is correct, the Greek Orthodox Assumption of the Theotokos and the Orthodox Church in America Holy Transfiguration parishes are there, as well as All Saints of Russia, which is part of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

Yep I love the Assumption Cathedral, and as much as I love it I had to leave due to size reasons. For me I think the intimacy with a smaller parish gives a little more attention to the spiritual hunger I am feeling. I hope that doesn't sound selfish. The priest at the Cathedral truly is a godly man, that parish should be very appreciative of him.

In nearby Lakewood is St. John the Baptist Serbian (part of the diocese that I belong to), as well as St. Herman's Orthodox Church in America parish in Littleton.
Too far for me, I actually wanted to go to St. Luke's up in Broomfield but again too far away.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »
For prayer, I highly recommend the Monastic Diurnal. It is the day hours of the traditional Benedictine breviary: Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline.

There are two versions available:

The first is published by the press of St. Michael's Abbey in Farnborough, England. This one is a breviary with Latin and English on both sides of the page.

http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/press/dirunal.php

The second is published by Lancelot Andrews Press. This one comes from an Anglican source and is only in English, but it has the incomparable Coverdale Psalter.

http://www.andrewespress.com/md.html

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations.

Regarding my prayer book...what exactly are these "canons" in them?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »

Regarding my prayer book...what exactly are these "canons" in them?
A canon is a structured hymn used in a number of Orthodox services. It consists of nine odes, sometimes called canticles or songs depending on the translation, based on compositions (also called odes) found in the Bible and, with one exception, the Old Testament.

For more, go here: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Canon_(hymn)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:58:17 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.