OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:40:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet Another Icon Corner Question (YAICQ)  (Read 1837 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: December 22, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »

Everyone, I could use some help.

I've been considering using a icon at home ("using an icon" doesn't quite sound right, but there you go).

I have some very specific questions, with pictures and dimensions and all kinda fun stuff.

First of all, I live nearly like a monastic, or so that is the typical response I get when most folks visit me. My apartment is very small and rather spartan.

I sleep in the NE corner of my apartment, so that is out of the question. I do have this shelf on an eastward facing wall:

Its dimensions:

Width: 16"
Height of each "cube": 6 3/8"
Height of entire unit: 69 5/8"

If you just have to have one, here is the link to the IKEA page:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116274

The top "cube" is basically eye level for me and probably can accommodate a single icon. This is not much of a problem, as I don't want to have more than one at least for now, but more questions on that later.

I've thought and prayed about which icon to start with. An icon of the Theotokos with Christ seems to be what is most appropriate. Many of my prayers are for my deceased mother and thanks to the Church and its teachings on the prayers for the departed, it played no small role in a complete change in my relationship with her.

So, since I am so limited in space, what could I place on the other shelves? I've read a lot and looked at many prayer corners, mine has to be a little more utilitarian. Would using some of the spaces below for Bibles I actually use along with some theological texts be out of line? Perhaps on the bottom shelf a non-descript box containing some correspondence and mementos I keep from friends and family over the years? I imagine adding another icon below eye-level wouldn't be very kosher.

Mounted icon or not for this situation?

I am not going to use incense. I've mentioned my allergy before. But I would like to use a candle, but as you see from the space, a very small candle (tea candle size) would be probably the most practical and fitting.

Thoughts?

As with most things in my inquiry into Orthodoxy I do not want to run head long and dedicate an entire wall to a dozen icons, if you get my meaning.

Thank you for your input.

In an ideal situation, I would to commission an icon from this iconographer:

http://web.me.com/iconmotif/Site/Home.html

He did the icons for the church I attend and I really admire his work.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »

Oh yeah, another thought I had, since the space is small, is using a diptych or triptych.

Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

When I was in a similar situation I had the largest icon of Christ Pantocrator I could fit in the space (it now hangs six inches above my bed so that I can reach out and touch it in the night) with a smaller icon of the Theotokos propped against it.

On the other shelves I kept my Bible, prayer books, print-outs of Akathists, lists of people to pray for, censers, incense, etc, plus unmounted icons and the letters from my SF I felt needed to be both in a private and a special place. I also confess to hiding books I didn't want people to ask to borrow (!) as I had made a curtain for it. My then SF said give to those who ask - it's training in poverty - but I had a few books I had no intentions of giving away! I don't recommend this I'm "just sayin'" Smiley

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:15:56 PM »

I would caution you on one point. Tea candles put out much more heat than most expect. I use them quite a bit. So if you plan on using one on a shelf just be careful, because it still is an enclosed space.

As far as the icon question goes, do you do any wood working? You can find many icons on google images, for example, and you could make a collage, so to speak. Cut a pine board, because this is the cheapest, that would fit the space, and decoupage the icons on the board. 3 parts elmers white school glue, with one part water, brush it on the board, and then brush it over the whole icon/s, as well as the edges. You could print out Christ, the Theotokos, The Baptist, and any other saints that you would like. This way you won't have to try to find a perfect fit for the space. You can make a perfect fit.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »

My first prayer corner was a simple triptyc and a tealight with a good sized votive to make sure there werent any flame complications. Good luck! It seems like you have some good ideas.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:55 AM »

I'm still just starting out (and have about 10 small icons up).  my first icon was a small byzantine icon of Christ.  I had only that for a few months.  then, when I was chrismated, my godparents bought me an icon of my patron saint (St. Tikhon) and the Mother of God.  from there, my icons just increased in number. 

your plan sounds good.  while I have quite a few, my godmother just has a large icon of Christ pantocrator on her wall.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »

I would just say put them up wherever you have room for them.  They are for prayer, not to look pretty.  But this is coming from someone who has nearly zero taste and has been told so more than once. Smiley

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:18 PM »

I would just say put them up wherever you have room for them.  They are for prayer, not to look pretty.  But this is coming from someone who has nearly zero taste and has been told so more than once. Smiley

I am more concerned about being tastelessly impious.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

When I was in a similar situation I had the largest icon of Christ Pantocrator I could fit in the space (it now hangs six inches above my bed so that I can reach out and touch it in the night) with a smaller icon of the Theotokos propped against it.

On the other shelves I kept my Bible, prayer books, print-outs of Akathists, lists of people to pray for, censers, incense, etc, plus unmounted icons and the letters from my SF I felt needed to be both in a private and a special place. I also confess to hiding books I didn't want people to ask to borrow (!) as I had made a curtain for it. My then SF said give to those who ask - it's training in poverty - but I had a few books I had no intentions of giving away! I don't recommend this I'm "just sayin'" Smiley

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh

Thanks you for your reply. It is very helpful.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »

I would caution you on one point. Tea candles put out much more heat than most expect. I use them quite a bit. So if you plan on using one on a shelf just be careful, because it still is an enclosed space.

As far as the icon question goes, do you do any wood working? You can find many icons on google images, for example, and you could make a collage, so to speak. Cut a pine board, because this is the cheapest, that would fit the space, and decoupage the icons on the board. 3 parts elmers white school glue, with one part water, brush it on the board, and then brush it over the whole icon/s, as well as the edges. You could print out Christ, the Theotokos, The Baptist, and any other saints that you would like. This way you won't have to try to find a perfect fit for the space. You can make a perfect fit.

Thank you for the warning about the tea candles and the interesting idea of creating a collage!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:22 PM »

I'm still just starting out (and have about 10 small icons up).  my first icon was a small byzantine icon of Christ.  I had only that for a few months.  then, when I was chrismated, my godparents bought me an icon of my patron saint (St. Tikhon) and the Mother of God.  from there, my icons just increased in number. 

your plan sounds good.  while I have quite a few, my godmother just has a large icon of Christ pantocrator on her wall.

My poor memory about your posts on icons, I imagine you will have a second home to house them after a few decades ; )

I've always tended toward the minimal and "spartan" in life outside of jackets and shoes. But who knows?

In a few decades I will probably be living in a shack on a straw mattress.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

If you want to keep it simple like your apartment, then just hang up an icon of the Theotokos with the Christ child and then hang a vigil lamp in front of it. That's all you'll ever need:

If you had a candle on the shelf then the shelf would catch fire, so don't do that!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:51:58 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »

If you want to keep it simple like your apartment, then just hang up an icon of the Theotokos with the Christ child and then hang a vigil lamp in front of it. That's all you'll ever need:

If you had a candle on the shelf then the shelf would catch fire, so don't do that!

Hanging things on the wall! Sacrilege!

Just kidding, sorta. I can't remember when I had something attached to a wall.

Over the break, I will have figure out arrange stuff in a living space < 550 ft^2, "kitchen" and bathroom inclusive to make better use of my space.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:05:39 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »

Where can I get a smilar picture of Virgin Mary and Jesus like that one hanging on the wall (from the pic) and that vigil lamp?

Anyone burn incense while they do their morning and evening prayers?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 03:11:30 AM »

Where can I get a smilar picture of Virgin Mary and Jesus like that one hanging on the wall (from the pic) and that vigil lamp?

I have been thinking of burning incense, and probably will in time.  you can get Orthodox icons and vigil lamps at any good Eastern Christian supplier such as:
http://www.skete.com/
http://www.archangelsbooks.com/
http://www.orthodoxincense.com/
http://www.orthodoxgoods.com/

there are many more, and parish bookstores you can visit.  good luck, my brother in Christ  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 03:31:40 AM »

I have been thinking of burning incense, and probably will in time.  you can get Orthodox icons and vigil lamps at any good Eastern Christian supplier such as:

there are many more, and parish bookstores you can visit.  good luck, my brother in Christ  Grin

Looks like we have skete here in Colorado that has a store as well, if you are interested. http://www.dormitionskete.org/

Much appreciated!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 03:39:39 AM »

Looks like we have skete here in Colorado that has a store as well, if you are interested. http://www.dormitionskete.org/

Much appreciated!
I've never noticed that, how interesting!!!  another monastery we have is Holy Protection.  Mother Cassiana (and sometimes another nun or a few young people descerning monasticism) live there.  she makes things in the little basement she converted into a store/library. 

Tags: icon icon corner decoupage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: