OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A VERY Ecumenical Patriarch  (Read 12815 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

Christos Earnest! Christ is Risen!

so lets say that almost all orthodox bishops want to reunite with the west as voted in a unorthodox council but there is a lone bishop that refuses, what happens next?

Been there, done that Smiley. Ask Saint Mark of Ephesus.

John.

St. Mark is my patron.

If one Bishop refuses the impact depends upon who that Bishop is. Without Mark, the false union had no hope. But the process includes how the people accept or  reject such agreements. Back then, it was St. Mark plus the rejection of the mass of Othodox people that did in the false union.

So it will be with us today.

Mark

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »

I just concluded a three week email correspondence with a Catholic Priest about the unity issue. I had seen him on EWTN take cheap shot at the Orthodox. So I wrote to him and we went over the issues. It was fun and informative. However, I have to say that if his attitudes is at all representative of the RCC..there is no shot at unity for a long while.

He is a bit unusual since he is a converted Anglican Priest whom Rome allows to be married. But basically he wants us to come to heel. The air of superiority that he took was not a pretty site. Add to that his basic misconceptions about the Orthodox ( though he had clearly made a study of us) and his unquestioning adherence to Roman dogma hit the trifecta..  "Arrogant, Ignorant and Proud" 

And this guy is an author and lecturer and professional apologist, his specialty is with the Evangelicals. He said we and the Evangelicals are both "primitives"..........anyway I wont bore you with more details but the unity thing is a long long long way off IMHO

Mark

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »

One Anglican convert to Catholicism does not equal Pope Benedict XVI.   Wink
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2014, 05:58:59 AM »

Just stumbling on the past:
So you are saying that the Holy Spirit was guiding the Pope when he decided that Galileo was wrong and that the Earth really is the center of the Universe? That the Holy Spirit was guiding the Pope when he either instigated, or at the least, approved of WESTERN Christians slaughtering (what was it, 13 times?),  hundreds of thousands of people in the Crusades in the name of Christianity? etc, etc, etc.....

Reading the histiory of your church, I would not be questioning how the Holy Spirit operates in the EO Churches, I would be asking how it operates in yours.

Er. Tom, do you have any idea how ignorant these questions are?

I tried to find a more diplomatic word than "ignorant," but it really seemed like the mot juste. If I have offended, forgive me, but I don't know what else to say.

Do you honestly think Catholics believe the Pope is infallible every time he sneezes? That's a common misconception among fundamentalist Protestants, but ISTM an Orthodox should know better.

I'm sorry if that seems abrasive, but OTOH you seem to feel you can insult our Faith with impunity (and with more zeal than knowledge, frankly). Ben merely asks a *question*--and you respond with insulting cracks about Catholicism.

Moreover, you're very misinformed about the Galileo incident. Let's just say that you seem to have bought into the typical anti-Catholic Galileo Myth. Bob Jones, call your office. :p

AMDG,

Diane, wondering if non-proselytizing diplomacy means that we Catholics have to sit here and take it when our Faith and Church are grossly misrepresented
Very odd words from someone bearing responsibility of the banishment of the Orthodox on CAF to the "non-Catholic" religions, or just plain banishment.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.msg189120.html#msg189120
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:00:43 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:11 AM »

Lord have mercy. If the creed is to be believed, we can not accept the two lungs theory.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »

I translated the material below from the French Orthodox forum, Orthodoxie.  I find myself perplexed by His Holiness's enthusiasm for dialogue leading toward eventual unity with the Roman Catholic Church, given the state of the latter in the post-Vatican II environment.

I am also somewhat confused and troubled by His Holiness's endorsement of the terms, "two lungs of the Church" and "sister Churches," and his statements concerning the "tearing apart" of "the Body of Christ."  I was catechized that the Church has consistently held that the body of Christ is One, and always will be One, whether the Roman patriarch is in communion with that Body, or not.

You can find the original posting, in French, at http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodoxie/message/849.

It is the body of Christ that makes him(Roman Pope) a Patriarch, his patriarchy does not make or break the Body of Christ

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »

Bumping a ten-year old thread; now that's some impressive e-archaeology.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.  For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee. (Deuteronomy 18:10-13)"

Thread necromancers are an abomination.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:30:43 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »

Hey the forum still talks about the same thing 10 years later, Patriarchate of Constantinople speaking of the Roman Catholics as a sister church!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.  For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee. (Deuteronomy 18:10-13)"

Thread necromancers are an abomination.

Many things described as "abominations" in the OT are ok now. This is one of them.  angel
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:25 PM »

I like "A Very Cutlip Christmas".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: