OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 03:01:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is the "festal vigil"?  (Read 529 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »

my Church is having something called "festal vigil" on Christmas eve.  I'm not sure what it is.  how long is it?  will he need me to serve in the altar?

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:08:20 AM »

A festal vigil is a series of services held on the eve of a feast. In churches following Russian usage, this usually consists of Great Vespers, Matins, and the First Hour. For the Nativity, Theophany, and the Annunciation, if these feasts do not fall on a Sunday, then the Vigil is made up of Great Compline, Vespers from the Litia onwards (including blessing of bread, wine and oil), Matins and First Hour. In my experience, these vigils run for about two and a half hours, but this would, of course, vary from parish to parish. Ask your priest for a more accurate answer.

will he need me to serve in the altar?

From what I know, there's less for an altar server to do during a vigil than there is during a Divine Liturgy, but altar servers are still needed, particularly at the blessing of the bread, and at the Polyeleos and Magnification. Again, ask your priest for more details.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

A festal vigil is a series of services held on the eve of a feast. In churches following Russian usage, this usually consists of Great Vespers, Matins, and the First Hour. For the Nativity, Theophany, and the Annunciation, if these feasts do not fall on a Sunday, then the Vigil is made up of Great Compline, Vespers from the Litia onwards (including blessing of bread, wine and oil), Matins and First Hour. In my experience, these vigils run for about two and a half hours, but this would, of course, vary from parish to parish. Ask your priest for a more accurate answer.

will he need me to serve in the altar?

From what I know, there's less for an altar server to do during a vigil than there is during a Divine Liturgy, but altar servers are still needed, particularly at the blessing of the bread, and at the Polyeleos and Magnification. Again, ask your priest for more details.

thanks, I will!   Smiley

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
Tags: vigil 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: