Author Topic: what is the "festal vigil"?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
what is the "festal vigil"?
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »
my Church is having something called "festal vigil" on Christmas eve.  I'm not sure what it is.  how long is it?  will he need me to serve in the altar?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: what is the "festal vigil"?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:08:20 AM »
A festal vigil is a series of services held on the eve of a feast. In churches following Russian usage, this usually consists of Great Vespers, Matins, and the First Hour. For the Nativity, Theophany, and the Annunciation, if these feasts do not fall on a Sunday, then the Vigil is made up of Great Compline, Vespers from the Litia onwards (including blessing of bread, wine and oil), Matins and First Hour. In my experience, these vigils run for about two and a half hours, but this would, of course, vary from parish to parish. Ask your priest for a more accurate answer.

will he need me to serve in the altar?

From what I know, there's less for an altar server to do during a vigil than there is during a Divine Liturgy, but altar servers are still needed, particularly at the blessing of the bread, and at the Polyeleos and Magnification. Again, ask your priest for more details.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: what is the "festal vigil"?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
A festal vigil is a series of services held on the eve of a feast. In churches following Russian usage, this usually consists of Great Vespers, Matins, and the First Hour. For the Nativity, Theophany, and the Annunciation, if these feasts do not fall on a Sunday, then the Vigil is made up of Great Compline, Vespers from the Litia onwards (including blessing of bread, wine and oil), Matins and First Hour. In my experience, these vigils run for about two and a half hours, but this would, of course, vary from parish to parish. Ask your priest for a more accurate answer.

will he need me to serve in the altar?

From what I know, there's less for an altar server to do during a vigil than there is during a Divine Liturgy, but altar servers are still needed, particularly at the blessing of the bread, and at the Polyeleos and Magnification. Again, ask your priest for more details.

thanks, I will!   :)