OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True Doctrine vs Gnosticism  (Read 594 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« on: December 22, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »

In the hotseat, if not in a place far hotter.

Very droll. But true only if you make salvation dependent on assent to true doctrine. A sixth sola? - sola doctrina?
Can't rightly say, as I do not subscribe to any of the sola/os anymore.

But as for Orthodoxy, assent to true doctrine, i.e. Orthodoxy, is the bare minimum.

This made me wonder, where is the line between True Doctrine and Gnosticism?

We need a correct faith for our relationship with God, but when does this become something else?

Discuss.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »

I don't understand why you are singling out Gnosticism from other heresies. Expand or reframe your question.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »

I don't understand why you are singling out Gnosticism from other heresies. Expand or reframe your question.

Gnosticism, in general, is "salvation through knowledge".

One of the arguments for Orthodoxy, as with many of the Christian faiths, is that "this" faith is the "fullness of Truth". Often times, this fullness of truth is presented as "necessary" for salvation (e.g the quote from Isa, above).

When does this necessity of "Truth" cross the line from "true doctrine" into "gnosticism". That is, the knowledge not only benefits your faith and relationship with God, but without it, your salvation is impossible.

I'm going to need this.
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »

Forgive my humble, and possibly uninformed opinion. As a newcomer to Orthodoxy, I would think that True Doctrine can more accurately be found in the teachings of Orthodoxy, and the writings of the Fathers that have been with the True Faith since the earliest of times. As for Gnosticism being focused on as a heresy, there is much merit there. I have recently come to Orthodoxy from a pentecostal denomination, and gnostism runs rampant there, and in most other protestant traditions if one examines them properly. After all, their traditions are built on the self-revelation of only a few, and then expounded upon based on those few misguided revelations. You can't get more "hidden-knowledge" based than to build a denomination on the few passages of scripture that speaks of "tongues." This is an important heresy to stand against when the majority of "christians," other than the Catholic church has left the history, Tradition, and Apostolic truth of the real Church. Again...this is only my 2 cents, but I hope it contributes in some small way.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »

Well, it's a bit more than that actually. Defining "Gnosticism" that way is neither meaningful nor useful- every religion can be called "gnosticism" by that definition.

I would say that someone has slipped into Gnosticism, if, for example, he believe that the material world is a prison for souls created by a demiurge, and that we need to to escape materiality through esoteric knowledge and thereby merge into the Godhead.

Christian gnosis is different, is acquired differently, and for a different purpose. So long as someone maintain Orthodox faith, in the life of the Church and its Mysteries, he is an Orthodox Christian and certainly no Gnostic.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »

Well, it's a bit more than that actually. Defining "Gnosticism" that way is neither meaningful nor useful- every religion can be called "gnosticism" by that definition.

I would say that someone has slipped into Gnosticism, if, for example, he believe that the material world is a prison for souls created by a demiurge, and that we need to to escape materiality through esoteric knowledge and thereby merge into the Godhead.

Christian gnosis is different, is acquired differently, and for a different purpose. So long as someone maintain Orthodox faith, in the life of the Church and its Mysteries, he is an Orthodox Christian and certainly no Gnostic.

I agree. The devil behind Gnosticism is the "cosmic cynicism" that goes with it, formulating the impulse "if I tough it out and be good, I can get out of here".

At the same time though, Gnosticism is "alleviated" by the correct knowledge. Hence, my wondering of the "line".

A Baptist, perhaps, would claim the only necessity is to accept Jesus as your savior. But if there is a need to accept a certain amount of truth more to this to understand and fully appreciate God, why is that not tip-toeing the line of "special knowledge" that will save you from Hell?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:10:40 PM by Azurestone » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »

I would say that Orthodoxy is salvation by work and grace.
Tags: Gnosticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: