Author Topic: Irritating Navigation  (Read 405 times)

Offline sainthieu

• Abstractor of the Quintessence
  • High Elder
Irritating Navigation
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
Is it necessary for the last post in a thread to come up by default? This is the only list, of the many I frequent, that doesn't load the first post by default. This means I always have to go back to the first post to see what the original topic is, or page up to the top of the page first to read it, and it is a pain in the neck.

I'm serious, no other list does this. From a usability point of view, it makes it harder than it needs to be.

If you load the first post by default, a reader can scroll through to see the responses or just speed-click to the end of the thread to see the latest response.

Think of it from the point of view of someone reading the thread for the first time.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
Re: Irritating Navigation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
I find the lists you are describing as incredibally annoying, since most often I follow certain threads frequently enough here that I want to see the latest posts, not scroll through old posts that I have reviewed before.

Perhaps once you read more threads you'll see the utility of this method. Additionally, you can always hit the Page Up/Page Down buttons, depending on where you are on the page.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:02:31 PM by FrChris »
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus