OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian hypocrisy  (Read 495 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »

I've been having some issues dealing with someone who considers themselves a Baptist (he used to go to church all the time, did some sermons etc; still listens to Christian radio programs and such) and we are always conflicting with certain views. This evening I brought up hypothetically if I won the lottery I would buy all the foreclosed homes and give it back to the people that lost them. He went on about how I shouldn't do that and that people need to learn a lesson for their "bad decision".

He is very machavellian and not an ounce of humility. He'll go off on monolouges and not even listen to your opinion, and have a response already created before you even finish. He's all about the profit motive, which is not a Christian virtue, and all about the wealth.

Yet he thinks he will just get the red carpet when he faces God and gets into Heaven. He is so arrogant that he could argue his point to get into Heaven.

I don't know what could get some sense into him, but any sort of an argument, let alone a conversation, is lost on this person.

It's a shame to see people like him who claim they are Christians and go against their very principles. It amazes me how much the West has watered down the Christian faith.

Sorry for my rant.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »

Didn't Christ say something about "He who is without sin cast the first stone"? And what was that whole parable about the Publican and the Pharisee?

Perhaps rather than ranting on the internet about your acquaintance, your time would be better served praying for him.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »

Didn't Christ say something about "He who is without sin cast the first stone"? And what was that whole parable about the Publican and the Pharisee?

Perhaps rather than ranting on the internet about your acquaintance, your time would be better served praying for him.
Amen!

your friend seems quite content on justifying himself. So he can join the Pharisees.  He worrys only about his own salvation. Christ worried about saving others.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »

For what it's worth, I notice that relatively few American Christians truly understand Christianity. I don't mean that they are mere hypocrites--after all, like a hospital, the church is a place for sick people--I mean that they really don't understand how to interpret the Bible, and they have virtually no awareness of the original church. The Orthodox understand it best of all (in my opinion), but many of us are, nevertheless, caught up in legalism and internecine ethnic struggles--but that's another thread.

The only thing we can do is pray for greater understanding for us all. St Paul tells us to avoid arguing with those who won't listen, and I think that's good advice. Let's trust in God and remove the log from our own eye first. Living in imitation of Christ is the hardest thing a person can do.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: