OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardinal Husar Claims Kiev Mother Of All Eastern European Christians!  (Read 1880 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: April 18, 2004, 11:30:30 AM »

In a recent letter regarding the movement of the UGCC from Livov to Kiev Cardinal Husar (head of the UGCC) makes the following comment.  {Caps are mine}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinal Lubomyr writes:

[Without doubt, the past grandeur and glory of Kyiv was associated with its Church. The city built on the winding banks of the Dnipro River was able to become “the mother of the cities of Rus’” and the “new Jerusalem” of the Slavs BECAUSE ITS CHURCH BECAME THE MOTHER OF ALL CHRISTIANS IN EASTERN EUROPE]

Comment:

When the heck did the Church of Kiev become the mother of all christians in Eastern Europe? The Carpatho Russians received their christianity from Sts Cyril & Methodious in 863-864, not St Vladimir in 988. Which makes them Christians with a culture for over a century (124 years to be exact) before what is now Ukraine became christian. This means that they already had an established church while their Ukrainian neighbors were still bowing down before carved tree trunks!

How could the descendents of St Vladimir in 988 become the mother of the descendents of Sts Cyril & Methodius who christianized parts of Eastern Europe in the later part of the 800's.  Or the mother of the Bulgarian Church which received christianity in 863.  Not to mention the Poles.

Perhaps the good Cardinal can explain how a mother can be born 124 years after her child!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 10:43:07 AM »

LOL, Ukrainians (no offense to the Ukies out there, I'm 1/8 or something like that myself), tend to live in their own little world, and naturally make themselves the center of it.  Did you hear the one about Adam & Eve being Ukrainian?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 10:44:05 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 11:31:42 AM »

:rofl: :bounce:  :cwm3:

Too much...

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

LOL, Ukrainians (no offense to the Ukies out there, I'm 1/8 or something like that myself), tend to live in their own little world, and naturally make themselves the center of it.  Did you hear the one about Adam & Eve being Ukrainian?

No, but on the Iconstasis of one of the local Ukrainian Orthodox Churches im my area the Theotokos is pictured wearing a Ukranian embroidered peasant blouse while the infant Jesus is wearing a Ukranian blouse with cossack pants and boots.  So I guess Our Lord and His Mother were Ukranian!  Wonder what the Irish would have to say about that!!! laugh Cheesy

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:02:08 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »

You know, it's like spitting into someone's face and then saying, "oh, I did not really mean anyone who is present here." Sorry.

Yes, SOME Ukrainians are stupid. Some (fill the blanks) are stupid, too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:13:15 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

You know, it's like spitting into someone's face and then saying, "oh, I did not really mean anyone who is present here." Sorry.

The post you are responding to is over 4 years old.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »

The post you are responding to is over 4 years old.

Sorry, my bad, disregard. Smiley

Love never fails.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 04:06:58 AM »

Nevermind the Rusyns. What happened to the Greeks being Eastern European and Christian hundreds of years before any Slav?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »

Nevermind the Rusyns. What happened to the Greeks being Eastern European and Christian hundreds of years before any Slav?

Most people nowadays would consider Greeks to be Mediterraneans as opposed to "Eastern Europeans", I would think.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:59 PM »

The post is now over 5 years old.   Shocked
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

The post is now over 5 years old.   Shocked
A few more years and it'll qualify for Cash for Clunkers.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

Who bumped the clunker ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:27:55 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »

What I think the Cardinal is trying to say (or would have said if he was being more honest) is that the Kievian Rus civilization (880s-1240) is the mother of all East Slavic civilizations today - Russian, Ukranian and Byelorussian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kievan-rus-1015-1113-(en).png

Kiev was its capital, but the Mongols wiped it off the map. The modern Kiev dates from much later, or so I've read.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: