OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:28:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Jesus of Nazareth celebrate Chanukah  (Read 1441 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: December 06, 2002, 04:36:18 PM »

I am curious what people think of this column here:
http://www.blossomingrose.org/yaffahdvarcurrent.htm

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 04:48:13 PM »

The answer is yes, He probably did, and it's important because the story of Hanukkah comes from books in the Orthodox and Catholic Old Testament (Septuagint) but not the shortened modern Jewish and Protestant OT. However, the judaizing movement of the Messianic groups is wrong because the issue had been settled as far back as the Acts of the Apostles, at the council of Jerusalem. Case closed.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 06:28:04 PM »

The Messianics don't know enough about history to know that Rabbinic Judaism didn't develop under several hundred years after Christ.  And I believe (it's been awhile since I studied this) that the formal laws for celebrating the holidays were not codied until about 200 AD?  When were the 613 mitzvot codified?  

I don't think we know for certain if Jesus did celebrate Hanukah.  I believe that I read somewhere that there was controversy among the rabbis who wrote the Talmud about whether Hanukah was really a religious festival or not.  And I think I read somewhere that the part about the oil (where they derived the way that Hanukah is celebrated) was never mentioned until the Talmud.  

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 06:32:54 PM »

Right: modern Judaism is based on Pharisaim but didn't evolve until after the destruction of the Temple in 70, and Hanukkah is a very minor holiday (basically just saying some prayers at home at night). It wasn't until about the past 100 years in America that it became 'Jewish Christmas'.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: