OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:13:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever been to Poland?  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 19, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »

A few OC.net members confessed to me via PM that they had visited Poland. I suppose there are more such people here. I would like you to share your impressions about places you had visited etc.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »

1987. It was still communist.

Friendly enough, but rather obsessed with an inferiority complex, and the question of whom they hated more, the Germans or the Russians.

Since my best friend in High School was Polish, most of my girlfriends Polish (my love a Ukrainian born in Poland), my granparents caregiver Polish, and, it being Chicago, my home town very Polish, etc.  I'm not sure my impressions weren't compromised because very little was new to me.  I did like the sense of history (e.g. the broadcast of the Hejnał mariacki), and the care the Wawel, the reconstruction of Warsaw etc. received.  I prefered Krakow, btw., especially with the city wall parks.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:35:55 PM »

I took a course at the Warsaw University of Technology, which is about my only experience there.  It was definitely fun.  Good people, good food, good facilities, etc.  Did some site-seeing too, mostly WWII sites and sites about Chopin.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »

What were you studying?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »

I watched Quite a few Polish Orthodox u-tube Video's ,And i'v been to Both of the Red Apple [црвена јабука ] restaurants a polish buffet on Milwaukee Ave.  all you can eat here in the Chicago's polish neighborhood.....

So does this Count....... Grin

I still prefer the serbian Stuffed Cabbage[ Sarma], to the Polish Stuffed Cabbage..... police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »

What were you studying?
It was a course on intelligent systems; I'm a computer science student.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »

I hitchhike through there frequently, doing my seasonal migration between Finland and Romania. Besides the long road between Rzeszow and the Lithuanian border, I've also seen the centres of Krakow and Warsaw. For some reason I've never been drawn to spend more time in Poland than I absolutely need to. It's nice and all but it's just not my thing. My drivers don't understand this and take it as an insult to their country. Undecided
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »

My wife's grandparents live about 30 miles from the Polish border, but my suggestion that we go cross it just so I could say I had been to Poland was ignored Smiley  Maybe next time.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »

It's nice and all but it's just not my thing. My drivers don't understand this and take it as an insult to their country. Undecided

Maybe it's because you are hitchhiking as opposed to some other form of transportation that is less personal? Perhaps it seems confusing to some people that you would go through their country in this manner if you didn't want to see it. Maybe you should take a bus or something next time  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:00:19 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »

On my bucket list...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »

My wife's grandparents live about 30 miles from the Polish border, but my suggestion that we go cross it just so I could say I had been to Poland was ignored Smiley  Maybe next time.
30 miles inside where, if I may ask, Father.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:40:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »

My wife's grandparents live about 30 miles from the Polish border, but my suggestion that we go cross it just so I could say I had been to Poland was ignored Smiley  Maybe next time.

Žilina, Slovakia. My wife was born there as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:51:50 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »

Ah, Slovakia. Spent some time in Bratislava that same summer.

synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »

Isa:
I have never heard anyone talk about inferiority to Russia or Germany in Poland.. But perhaps I am wrong, but I live here and speak the language. Actually Poles feel that they are the opposite of inferior to Germans and Russians. I think you must of heard of Polish messianism once or another?
Actually it is a very common point of view, that Britons and Germans are less intelligent than we are. The Germans are the butt of many jokes here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:06:21 PM by synLeszka » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

Isa:
I have never heard anyone talk about inferiority to Russia or Germany in Poland.. But perhaps I am wrong, but I live here and speak the language.
and have a HUGE axe to grind.
Actually Poles feel that they are the opposite of inferior to Germans and Russians.
Those with inferiority complexes always do, consciously. Their unconscious, subliminal fears are the problem.
I think you must of heard of Polish messianism once or another?
What's another false messianism.
Actually it is a very common point of view, that Britons and Germans are less intelligent than we are.
lol. Held world wide in Poland, no doubt.
The Germans are the butt of many jokes here.
Btw, do you know of Polish jokes in the US?

Btw, these jokes are without basis. I found Poland a fine country, and a fine people. Just with some issues, and what country doesn't?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:47:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

trifon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »

I was born and raised in Kraków, and used to go back almost every year emigrating.  Last visit was in 2007.  Certainly never felt any inferiority towards Germans and Russians for being a Pole (but then my paternal grandmother was Russian Grin), but have heard it from many non-Poles, so perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »

I've been there Smiley

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

Isa:
I have never heard anyone talk about inferiority to Russia or Germany in Poland.. But perhaps I am wrong, but I live here and speak the language.
Actually Poles feel that they are the opposite of inferior to Germans and Russians.
Those with inferiority complexes always do, consciously. Their unconscious, subliminal fears are the problem.

Fear is always a matter conscious, just like sex. Your knowledge of psychology and psychoanalysis is meagre, very meagre.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »

Isa:

Fear is always a matter conscious, just like sex. Your knowledge of psychology and psychoanalysis is meagre, very meagre.

LOL. I worked for years in the locked ward of a pysch hospital. What's your background?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »

Friendly enough, but rather obsessed with an inferiority complex, and the question of whom they hated more, the Germans or the Russians.

LOL! Brilliant.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »

Isa:

LOL. I worked for years in the locked ward of a pysch hospital. What's your background?

So did I, or at least that is what I told myself I was doing there.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »

Seriously, beautiful Country and the home of one of the most beautiful pieces of television ever:

Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:41:23 PM by orthonorm » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »

Isa:

So did I, or at least that is what I told myself I was doing there.
I have to say, a lot of the psychiatrists made me wonder who the patients were.

Tags: Polish Poland 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: