OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Prayer movie  (Read 1904 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: December 18, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »

Has anyone heard anything about this movie that is coming out?

http://www.mysteriesofthejesusprayer.com/

thismanisdan

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »

Yes I heard about probably a year back and have been looking forward to seeing it for some time. I think its finally being released this month or next.

I'm still trying to figure out the religious background of the two main guys. I think one must be orthodox but the other im not sure.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »

I think one of them is Fr. John McGuckin, who is an Eastern Orthodox priest.  I think he is also a professor at a university and he has published books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_2?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=John%20Anthony%20McGuckin

I'm not familiar with the other man.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

Yes, I have hearing about this movie for quite a while. I hope it will be released soon.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:00:39 PM »

The other man is:

"Norris J. Chumley, Ph.D. is an Emmy Award-winning documentary producer, director, and author. His work has been featured on PBS, NBC, ABC, A&E, USA, Showtime/The Movie Channel, HBO/Cinemax, and WNET/13. Born in Bloomington, Indiana, he graduated with a B.F.A., Magna Cum Laude, from New York University in 1981, in Film and Television, and went on to create hundreds of commercials, made for television movies, documentaries and specials, including Mark Twain’s:The Diaries of Adam and Eve (for PBS American Playhouse), Getting the Love You Want (PBS, with Oprah Winfrey, Harville Hendrix and Helen L. Hunt), and The Gospel According to Jesus (HBO/Cinemax). Chumley’s documentary Little Mike was recipient of the SONY/American Film Institute’s Grand Prize in Video in 1981. His dance performance special, Grand Central Dances, was a recipient of a National Endowment for the Humanities grant, and received the Emmy award for Outstanding Cultural Programming in 1986. Chumley has authored The Joy of Weight Loss: A Spiritual Guide to Fitness, and appears with Susan Sarandon in the
documentary DVD, The Spiritual Guide to Weight Loss. He is currently a featured daily columnist for Huffington Post and Beliefnet.com Dr. Norris Chumley Satisfied Life, and is Executive Producer and Director of Media for Columbia University’s Department of Religion: Institute for Religion, Culture and Public Life. Additionally, Chumley is an adjunct professor at New York University’s Kanbar Institute of Film and Television, and is Chairman of Manhattan Neighborhood Networks, the original and largest public access television network in America"

http://www.romarch.org/files/editor/File/PRESS_RELEASE_Mysteries_of_the_Jesus_prayer.pdf

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »

I need to get some popcorn for the moview.
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »

This is from the news section of their website:

"Coming DECEMBER 15 - "Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer" has a pre-theatrical release from SnagFilms, beginning December 15, 2010, for three months. It's on COMCAST and VERIZON FIOS Video-On-Demand. Coming soon to theaters, then DVD's in early 2011."

http://www.mysteriesofthejesusprayer.com/news.html

I'll have to look for it on on-demand.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Fr Spyridon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

FrSpyridon
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

Thank you for sharing this information, it looks a very interesting piece of work.
Tags: Jesus Prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: