OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:22:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benedictine and Augustinian spirituality  (Read 2090 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: December 18, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »

For me it seems that different Catholic religious orders have born to cultivate some specific form of piety or spiritual life. For example Dominicans' idea is to preach and Fransiscans' idea is to cultivate poverty in a radical way. Am I correct? If so, what kind is Benedictine and Augustinian spirituality?

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »

Benedictine Spirituality is "ora et labora" prayer and work

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »

The main monastic rules of the Catholic Church are the Basilian, Benedictine, Augustinian and Franciscan. The orders of the Roman Catholic Church follow one of these four rules or a variation.mix of them. The Dominicans are placed in the Augustinian family.
In terms of spirituality, there is only one Catholic spirituality but there are different manifestations/intrepretations of spiritual life within Christ. I would like to reaffirm that there is only one Catholic spirituality for all. The message of Christ has different ramifications for the laity, for the worker, for the politician, for the priest, for the bishop but there is only one spiritual way, the way of Christ.

The Franciscans' love of poverty or the Dominicans love of preaching are more like specializations in the field of Christian life than different ways of spiritual life. Each Christian is called to be poor in spirit, to preach the Gospel, to care for the sick, to teach Christian doctrine.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »

The main monastic rules of the Catholic Church are the Basilian, Benedictine, Augustinian and Franciscan. The orders of the Roman Catholic Church follow one of these four rules or a variation.mix of them. The Dominicans are placed in the Augustinian family.
In terms of spirituality, there is only one Catholic spirituality but there are different manifestations/intrepretations of spiritual life within Christ. I would like to reaffirm that there is only one Catholic spirituality for all. The message of Christ has different ramifications for the laity, for the worker, for the politician, for the priest, for the bishop but there is only one spiritual way, the way of Christ.

The Franciscans' love of poverty or the Dominicans love of preaching are more like specializations in the field of Christian life than different ways of spiritual life. Each Christian is called to be poor in spirit, to preach the Gospel, to care for the sick, to teach Christian doctrine.

Carmelites

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

To what degree are these rules followed today?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »

To what degree are these rules followed today?

Those rules are kept to this day, although each monastery/abbey has its own interpretation of the original Rule of s.Benedict which is the basis of those rules ellicited in that article. All these rules are done according to the law of charity. If any of these rules causes the monk to go against fraternal charity, he must accept the more charitable solution.
This below is a link to the rule of s.Benedict:
http://www.osb.org/rb/text/toc.html#toc
The rule is kept today in the same manner as it was in the time of s.Benedict.
One rule I like in the rule is that a poor man should treated twice as well in the monastery as a rich man, whom everyone respects.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: