OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Instrument Do You Play?  (Read 1922 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebenezer

Faith: Potential Convert
Jurisdiction: ROC

« on: December 18, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »

What instrument do you play? I play the bass and by bass I do not mean electric bass, I mean the string, double, upright, etc. bass and have played for over 15 years and I absolutely love it. I was apart of an orchestra and was formerly the bass section leader but I haven't played in an orchestra for around 5 years now but I still play daily. What's your instrument? What genre is your favorite? How long have you played?

"We all make choices. But in the end, our choices make us."-Andrew Ryan.

"Shot? Or killed?"-Rooster Cogburn.
thebigee

Faith: Moving towards Orthodoxy

thebige61
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:53:02 AM »

Cool. A Fellow bass thumper! I went to Berklee College of music for a year. Majored in Jazz Performance. I've played a long time on worship teams playing Contemporary worship tunes. Now (for the most part) I write music for my Youtube videos (http://www.youtube.com/thebige61).  Here's where I post most of my tunes (http://www.reverbnation.com/fakeparadise).  I've only recently acquired a taste for upright bass.  I've been going to a music store where they have informal Folk/country jams a few times a month.  I love it!  I've never felt more connected to music. I just need to save up my $ get one now...

Progressive rock is my fav genre.

E
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:18 AM »

What instrument do you play? I play the bass and by bass I do not mean electric bass, I mean the string, double, upright, etc. bass and have played for over 15 years and I absolutely love it. I was apart of an orchestra and was formerly the bass section leader but I haven't played in an orchestra for around 5 years now but I still play daily. What's your instrument? What genre is your favorite? How long have you played?
I've been playing trombone since 1982. Some jazz, some symphonic wind ensemble, some orchestra... I've been playing with an orchestra now for the past several years.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:11 AM »

I play the piano well, and the guitar competently. I mostly know my way around the violin, but I'm not sure anyone would want to listen.

Piano since 1991, violin since '96 and guitar since '98. I mostly haven't played for the last six months, and that makes me sad.

My favorite music is baroque orchestral/religious music, followed by 1990s grunge. I also like Russian music from the early- to mid-1900s, and sad jazz.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:17:44 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:19 AM »

In band through high school, I played them all mainly to plug holes when people were absent from marching band competition. The only instruments that I was deemed proficient to play were clarinet (still my first love), tenor sax, french horn, trumpet, baritone. In concert season, I'd also dabble in the oboe.

I also play string instruments, the viola and cello. Now, I mainly play metal bass lines on my four string 1970s Ibanez Sound Gear bass with active pickups.

I also do play a little piano though I'm horribly out of practice.

The instrument that I focus on much more now than anything is my own voice which I use, for better or for worse, in the church services to the greater glory of God.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:33:21 AM »

A little guitar and a little feadog.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ebenezer

Faith: Potential Convert
Jurisdiction: ROC

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »

Cool. A Fellow bass thumper! I went to Berklee College of music for a year. Majored in Jazz Performance. I've played a long time on worship teams playing Contemporary worship tunes. Now (for the most part) I write music for my Youtube videos (http://www.youtube.com/thebige61).  Here's where I post most of my tunes (http://www.reverbnation.com/fakeparadise).  I've only recently acquired a taste for upright bass.  I've been going to a music store where they have informal Folk/country jams a few times a month.  I love it!  I've never felt more connected to music. I just need to save up my $ get one now...

You should get some sheet music for some classical music, by far my favorite to play, pretty much all I play. I have had the chance to play some jazz and other more contemporary music style but didn't much care for it, not my my cup of tea but that's cool. I was hoping there was some fellow bassists here! I did play some 'religious' music when I still played in the orchestra such as Hava Naglia and even got to play some Christmas music aside from the classic traditional Christian religious music.

"We all make choices. But in the end, our choices make us."-Andrew Ryan.

"Shot? Or killed?"-Rooster Cogburn.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »

I have played bass guitar for about 20 years at this point. I wanted to learn to play the upright bass, but at the time I was too short and the cost made the idea impossible. I would like to learn cello once I can get myself one. I would still love to play upright bass as well, but the cello has a special place in my heart.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »

I play guitar and am competent at writing beats or arranging instruments in pc synth programs.  I can play a little piano, but was never able to get the whole left hand does this while right hand does that down pat.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

I play the guitar and harmonica. Not a great guitarist by any means, but I enjoy it so much. My favorite genre is reggae, but I love about everything except for heavy metal, gangsta rap, contemporary country, and contemporary Christian. Basically I love "roots" music, i.e. music that is deeply cultural and expresses the soul, spirit, and struggle of the people.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »

Guitar, electric and acoustic, as well as vocals. I write songs, and play both rhythm and lead. I have been playing six-string for 25 years, have played in a few bands, and have recorded a heap of original songs. I love pretty much all music, but my favorite genres to play are blues, bluegrass, folk, rock... and I've also dabbled with metal and electronica (and more experimental stuff during my art school days). I have also worked as an elementary music teacher in the Canadian school system. Music!! It's my drug.  Cheesy

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »

Trumpet and piano, among other things.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »

I play the same instrument played in Heaven, the trombone.  I also dabble with the electric bass and trumpet/cornet, and 12 string guitar.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

I play the same instrument played in Heaven, the trombone.
It's good to know we have something in common. Wink

I'm reminded of that old Non Sequitur comic panel I have posted just outside my bedroom door. This was given me by another trombonist. (See attached.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:21:52 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

I have this illusion that I will some day learn to play the lyra (either Cretan or Pontian).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:39:00 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

I'm reminded of that old Non Sequitur comic panel I have posted just outside my bedroom door. This was given me by another trombonist. (See attached.)

How many trumpeters does it take to change a light bulb?

Four.  One to screw in the bulb and three to say how much better they could have done it.

How many trombone players does it take to change a light bulb?

Four.  One to hold the bulb and three to drink until the room spins.

At least that is what I was always told . . . Smiley

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »

How many trumpeters does it take to change a light bulb?

Four.  One to screw in the bulb and three to say how much better they could have done it.

How many trombone players does it take to change a light bulb?

Four.  One to hold the bulb and three to drink until the room spins.

At least that is what I was always told . . . Smiley
You know how you can tell that a trombonist is knocking on your door?

The Domino's Pizza sign on his car. laugh
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:17:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »

I played the guitar in the '60s.  We had a garage band and played at the churches and synogogues.  I finally picked it back up about 10 tears ago, but now my arthritic fingers don't let me play as good as I used to.  But the doc says it's good exercise for my fingers.
trifon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 04:46:55 AM »

Played drums in a jazz ensemble for a while back in my teenage years
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »

Classical piano, on and off for about 15 yrs.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »

I played the guitar in the '60s.  We had a garage band and played at the churches and synogogues.  I finally picked it back up about 10 tears ago, but now my arthritic fingers don't let me play as good as I used to.  But the doc says it's good exercise for my fingers.

Sorry to hear about the fingers. My uncle, a guitar player for decades, now has the same problem. He switched to playing a dobro so he can at least make music without straining his fingers. Ever play slide guitar? Might be an option.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about the fingers. My uncle, a guitar player for decades, now has the same problem. He switched to playing a dobro so he can at least make music without straining his fingers. Ever play slide guitar? Might be an option.

Slide guitar, now that's what i'm talking about!

Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »

Dobro . . . slide . . . hmm . . . thanks for the idea.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

Played piano for years, and now have been "away" from it for years (probably as long as I played it).  All I play now are the Vocal Cords and the radio/cd/iTunes/etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »

I am currently learning the bagpipes, and am a semi-probationary member of a local bagpipe ensemble.

My neighbors are thrilled with my new interest, btw!  Cheesy

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »

I am currently learning the bagpipes, and am a semi-probationary member of a local bagpipe ensemble.

I guess it beats the accordion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:02 AM »

Nice, Father! BTW, are they the Highland pipes or Uilleann pipes?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 01:48:24 AM »

Nice, Father! BTW, are they the Highland pipes or Uilleann pipes?

Well, right now what I have are a chanter and I borrow a Highland set to get used to the air requirements...that is what the neighbors complain about!

I wanted to learn on the Uilleann set, but no one in the group plays those. I'm hoping to get used to the Highland pipes and then work my way over.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »

3 things I love about the Scots: bagpipes, scotch, and golf.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »

Guitar - Mostly acoustic these days, and my playing is poor (I was actually probably better 15 years ago when I was playing with friends in basements, garages, and attics). I have to take a "fine arts" class for school, and I've been thinking about taking a guitar class, maybe that'll get me back into things.

Bass Guitar - Sort of. I sold my bass, and I was never especially good anyway. I mostly just muddled through doing Metallica and Megadeth covers. I also played the bass with my fingers, but using an acoustic guitar style, so I never really learned how to "properly" play it.

Drums - Ok, I'm lying. I bought a drum set but completely stunk at it, so I sold it a few months after I got it. I probably couldn't even keep a steady beat on a practice pad now  Cheesy
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

Bass guitar, six-string guitar, clarinet and keyboard.  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »

Drums - Ok, I'm lying. I bought a drum set but completely stunk at it, so I sold it a few months after I got it. I probably couldn't even keep a steady beat on a practice pad now  Cheesy

Rock Band.  Say what you want about the game and guitars (oh, "expert" five stars with a toy guitar, you're special!) that game will teach you how to play drums....

Unless you're like me and absolutely positively cannot get the whole "foot-hands" rhythm thing going.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:33:52 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: