OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:19:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Mathews: Confessing between the Lines  (Read 1633 times) Average Rating: 0
Romanos

OC.net

« on: April 17, 2004, 12:16:27 AM »

Just a quick note to anyone who hasn't heard it...Former Prostestant ricker Fuzzy Mathews became Orthodox about  7 years ago, then dropped off the face of the earth.  Finally he has resurfaced, releasing a new CD of great music.
His Orthodox spirituality and earthy guitar licks come together to create a really cool sound.  I'm a new fan, and thought I'd share.  Check out www.JustinMathews.com
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 01:08:32 AM »

Romanos, my friend, I've noticed you've only had two posts here so this thought comes to my mind.  Are you working/affiliated for this guy? Just curious.

Anyway, I listened to the See Paradise mp3 and to me this sounds like CCM schlock sung by someone who is an Orthodox Christian.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Romanos

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 05:09:29 PM »

Thanks for asking.  I appreciate your pointedness.  I'm not working for Justin, just impressed by his commitment to the Church and his attempts to live out of the Gospel.  No luke-warmness there.  
I just discovered "chat rooms" and I had hoped it was acceptable to share something I had found helpful with other Orthodox people.
By the way, I'd like to know what "CCM schlock" you've ever heard that talked about "the uncreated light," "the Mother of my Hope," and the icons of the saints.  Justin's liner notes say that "See Paradise" was somewhat based on Ephriam the Syrian's "Hymns on Paradise."  Nice Schlock.  Take another listen and give the guy some credit.
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 05:47:25 PM »

Romanos, I apologize for the unnecesarilly beligerent and negative response you last received, which was in no way typical of what you will find in this forum.  I appreciate the tip about Mathews, and look forward to having a chance to listen to him.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 05:54:55 PM »

Just listened to one of the MP3s available on-line, and love it.  I can't wait to get to the bookstore to use my "birthday money" to order it!

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Romanos

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 12:41:29 AM »

Thanks, Ambrose.  You'll love the rest of the disc.
Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: