OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:20:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A movement to beautify Chesterton?  (Read 680 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: December 17, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

Taken from this post:
GK Chesterton wrote, among other things, a book called Orthodoxy. Although he is not talking about the Orthodox church he quite easily could be. All his books are worth reading and so I am surprised he gets no mention.

I believe there is a movement to beatify him in the RCC. From reading about him and reading him he comes over as a thoroughly lovely man and maybe deserving of the RCC's higher accolades. His works don't, however,jar on Orthodox sensibilities

I have heard this before, and I will agree that while Chesterton may not be one of the greatest theologians of the last century, he is certainly one of the most accessible to the common man and even moreso probably the most quotable. But I really don't see what he did that was worth canonization... Then again, I'm not nearly as big an Anglophile as I used to be.

I am certainly open to hearing why someone thinks otherwise.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Aidan

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »

Agabus, there is a brief youtube clip of Chesterton amusing some American students during the 1930s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wUYTMcXBE

Pardon me though, I don't think we should be talking about his potential for beatification but his thoroughly amusing and enjoyable books especially Orthodoxy which, more than many books mentioned, has the potential to lead people to faith.

My two pen'orth as we Anglos might say.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »

Hahaha, the portly Chesterton would have been amused by this thread title---"Most certainly I require some beautifying, my soul even more than my body!"
 Cheesy
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »

Hmmm, let's first look at a couple of pics of Chesterton:

I suppose it's reasonable to consider starting a campaign to "beautify" him.  On the other hand, I expect God will "beautify" him brilliantly at the General Resurrection, as I hope he will beautify all of us.  Smiley

P.S.  I love Chesterton's writings.  Not only was he a marvelous writer and incisive apologist for the Christian faith; but he was also insightful and wise.  He represents a kind of sacramental Christian humanism that I find congenial and warm.  But i don't think there will ever be a movement to beatify Mr. Chesterton in the Catholic Church; indeed, I suspect he would be horrified by that prospect.  He no doubt is sitting with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien before a roaring celestial fire, with a mug of beer in his hands.  Smiley  

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »

Hahaha, the portly Chesterton would have been amused by this thread title---"Most certainly I require some beautifying, my soul even more than my body!"
 Cheesy
Haha, I had "beatify" right and changed it, thinking myself wrong. This is what I get for trusting that anyone in the news pronounces anything correctly. Grin

He no doubt is sitting with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien before a roaring celestial fire, with a mug of beer in his hands.  Smiley 

No doubt those three have downed quite a bit of Heaven's best.  Cheesy

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: