OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Greek Diners  (Read 270 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: December 29, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »

Does anyone have any favorite Greek diners?

I was in New York over Christmas weekend, and on my way out to Astoria in Queens to check out the Bohemian Beer Hall, I discovered that it was closed (yes, it was Christmas Day, but they say on their website they're open 365 days a year). So what was I to do? I caught this place called Neptune Diner, literally right in front of the subway station (Astoria Blvd).

My reaction? Freakin' awesome.

So the place was very clean and attractive, with very nice paneling and blue wallpaper. Our waiter was full of Greek moxy and kept us laughing the whole time.

I ordered the gyro, which came out like this:

Was it good? Is the Pope Catholic? I could barely finish the whole thing, and it was fun making my own---I like a lot of feta and a lot of tzatziki on my gyro.

Loved it. Dipping my crunchy fries in the remaining tzatziki was an extra treat.

Since it was Christmas, and despite being stuffed, I decided to order dessert. Thinking $4.30 is awfully cheap for a strawberry cheesecake, I ordered it, thinking it would be nice and small.

Nope! It wasn't easy, but I did manage to stuff every scrumptious bit in my mouth.

All in all, it was a very satisfying Christmas jaunt in Queens. I shall try the Bohemian Beer Hall again next time I'm in town---after having dinner at Neptune's.

Oh, did I add that a framed photo of His All-Holiness Bartholomew of the Ecumenical Patriarchate was prominently displayed near the entrance? There was some Greek handwriting over the photo, which could have been from His All-Holiness's own hand.

---------------------

Another Greek diner I really like is Zoe's in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I'm probably there every week. One of the few places I've seen that serve real maple syrup with all of their breakfasts for no extra charge.

They also have some solid Greek food and absolutely delectable frappes (that's what milkshakes are called in New England).

It's the best breakfast spot in Harvard Square.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: