OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:49:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems With my Dad's Health.  (Read 294 times) Average Rating: 0
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: December 27, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »

My Dad has temporal lobe epilepsy, he is over weight, and very very stubborn.
I love him very much but I often feel he takes advantage of my love for him. As in he makes excuses as to why he can't do the dishes when he has plenty of energy. I am trying to get him to start walking but he wont.
Is there anything that I can do to help him?
I have already used the excuses such as "I want you around to see me get married and see my children." But even that didn't work after a while.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »

What if you just put him in a wheelchair and take him out somewhere?  Just as a start....to get him interested in life again...seeing other people....seeing nature, etc.  Does he go to church?

As for the dishes...what if you didn't do them?  Would he just let them pile up?

Remember, you can't "force" anyone to do anything.  They have to want to do it....especially our parents.  You will always be a "child" to him, and he may even boycott purposefully and not do what you ask...because he is the parent, not you.

Try turning it around.  Tell him you need help...you can't do it alone, etc.  Parents always want to "help" their kids.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »

Sadly yeah he does let them pile and if they aren't done he doesn't eat.
We try to make it to church but our parish is 2 and a half hours away and his epilepsy makes it hard for him to leave town often.
 Embarrassed
He's getting better, I gave him a good talking to.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: