OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the wings of the eagle to the Orthodox  (Read 1380 times) Average Rating: 1
Alfred Persson
Jesus is LORD, God the Eternal Son
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant but no Filioque
Jurisdiction: usa

Primitive Orthodox

« on: December 17, 2010, 04:21:52 AM »

The daughter of Zion, the people of true Israel, Jew and Gentile. are the woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars. (Rev 12:1 NKJ)

NKJ  Isaiah 66:8 Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Shall the earth be made to give birth in one day? Or shall a nation be born at once? For as soon as Zion was in labor, She gave birth to her children. (Isa 66:8 NKJ)

The sign is in heaven, the birth happens on earth.

1 Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars.
 2 Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth.
 3 And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads.
 4 His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born.
 5 She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.
 6 Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.
 (Rev 12:1-6 NKJ)

The story shifts to heavenly warfare, then returns to the daughter of Zion:

13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child.
 14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.
 15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood.
 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth.
 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Rev 12:13-17 NKJ)

[COLOR="blue"]From the first time I read this I wondered "why is she not called out of the wilderness" later in the book?
[/COLOR]
[/B]
I now realize, she is:

4 And I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. (Rev 18:4 NKJ)
10 Be in pain, and labor to bring forth, O daughter of Zion, Like a woman in birth pangs. For now you shall go forth from the city, You shall dwell in the field, And to Babylon you shall go. There you shall be delivered; There the LORD will redeem you From the hand of your enemies.
11 Now also many nations have gathered against you, Who say, "Let her be defiled, And let our eye look upon Zion."
12 But they do not know the thoughts of the LORD, Nor do they understand His counsel; For He will gather them like sheaves to the threshing floor.
13 "Arise and thresh, O daughter of Zion; For I will make your horn iron, And I will make your hooves bronze; You shall beat in pieces many peoples; I will consecrate their gain to the LORD, And their substance to the Lord of the whole earth."
(Mic 4:10-13 NKJ)
 11 Indeed the LORD has proclaimed To the end of the world: "Say to the daughter of Zion,`Surely your salvation is coming; Behold, His reward is with Him, And His work before Him.'"
 12 And they shall call them The Holy People, The Redeemed of the LORD; And you shall be called Sought Out, A City Not Forsaken. (Isa 62:11-12 NKJ)

Its amazing few expositors note "the great eagle" in the Old Testament is both Nebuchadnezzar (Ezek 17:3,12)  and Pharaoh (Ezek 17:7, 15), hence "great eagle" stands for a kingdom. Babylon the Great includes apostate Christendom with all the worlds Babylonianish religions since the tower of Babel. Satan has ridden this beast of false religion throughout the seven empires of human history.

Therefore, to get wings of a great eagle is to derive protection from earthly kingdoms, Because "the one holy church" is a "little flock" separate from the apostate church, it can exist in the wilderness of Babylon (separateness)  which is the place God would have her be, free to feast upon God's Word the Bible.

When Satan via the eighth king-Beast (the One World Government, perhaps the UN), commands Christians be killed, Babylon the Great protects it, for it thereby protects itself.  The flood of violence the Serpent commanded be done against them is overruled, Zion flees into the wilderness of Babylon the Great, and the earth (nations) swallows  up the torrent of hate.

But this coincides with the end of the harlots usefulness to the Serpent, about the middle of the week, for he is now promoting the Antichrist as God, rendering all other religion obsolete. He breaks the covenant he made with his religious supporters.

Therefore Satan turns on the harlot Babylon to destroy her, hoping to thereby kill also the daughter of Zion, all those who obey God's commandments and have the testimony of Jesus.

10 Be in pain, and labor to bring forth, O daughter of Zion, Like a woman in birth pangs. For now you shall go forth from the city, You shall dwell in the field, And to Babylon you shall go. There you shall be delivered; There the LORD will redeem you From the hand of your enemies.
 11 Now also many nations have gathered against you, Who say, "Let her be defiled, And let our eye look upon Zion."
 12 But they do not know the thoughts of the LORD, Nor do they understand His counsel; For He will gather them like sheaves to the threshing floor.
 13 "Arise and thresh, O daughter of Zion; For I will make your horn iron, And I will make your hooves bronze; You shall beat in pieces many peoples; I will consecrate their gain to the LORD, And their substance to the Lord of the whole earth."
 (Mic 4:10-13 NKJ)

While Satan is following his own plan, elevating the Anti Christ to godhood, rendering all other religion redundant, it also fulfills God's wrath against Babylon for its history of persecuting the Zion of God.

NKJ  Revelation 17:1 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, "Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, (Rev 17:1 NKJ)
5 And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
 6 I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement.
 7 But the angel said to me, "Why did you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns.
 8 "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
 9 "Here is the mind which has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits.
 10 "There are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time.
 11 "And the beast that was, and is not, is himself also the eighth, and is of the seven, and is going to perdition.
 12 "The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.
 13 "These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast.
 (Rev 17:5-13 NKJ)

To encapsulate, at the beginning of the week Satan persecutes the true church, hoping to destroy it, but Babylon the Great, sensing a threat to herself, prevents  him. The true church is in the wilderness of Babylon, feasting on God's word to the appointed time. Then in the middle of the week, when Satan turns on obsolete Babylonish religion to promote the deity of the Antichrist, God calls His people out of Babylon lest they suffer with her, total destruction. The Daughter of Zion, unlike the false church, overcomes the devil by her confession Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, her LORD:

7 "Up, Zion! Escape, you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon."
 8 For thus says the LORD of hosts: "He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye.
 9 "For surely I will shake My hand against them, and they shall become spoil for their servants. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent Me.
 10 "Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming and I will dwell in your midst," says the LORD.
 11 "Many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and they shall become My people. And I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent Me to you (Zec 2:7-11 NKJ)

10 Be in pain, and labor to bring forth, O daughter of Zion, Like a woman in birth pangs. For now you shall go forth from the city, You shall dwell in the field, And to Babylon you shall go. There you shall be delivered; There the LORD will redeem you From the hand of your enemies. (Mic 4:10 NKJ)

6 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people--
 7 saying with a loud voice, "Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water."
 8 And another angel followed, saying, "Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she has made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."
 9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand,
 10 "he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
 11 "And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."
 12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
 13 Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, "Write:`Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.'" "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them."

THEN comes the Rapture, Supreme Commander Jesus Christ rescues His assets from harm lest they become Collateral damage, just as He did in the Days of Noah, and Sodom, just before God's wrath rains fiery destruction upon His enemies...at the last trump, we will meet Him in the air just prior to His arrival, lest any of His be hurt by the plagues that are sure to come.

14 Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and on the cloud sat One like the Son of Man, having on His head a golden crown, and in His hand a sharp sickle.
 15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to Him who sat on the cloud, "Thrust in Your sickle and reap, for the time has come for You to reap, for the harvest of the earth is ripe."
 16 So He who sat on the cloud thrust in His sickle on the earth, and the earth was reaped.

Then the end comes:

17 Then another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
 18 And another angel came out from the altar, who had power over fire, and he cried with a loud cry to him who had the sharp sickle, saying, "Thrust in your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe."
 19 So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.
 20 And the winepress was trampled outside the city, and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses' bridles, for one thousand six hundred furlongs. (Rev 14:6-20 NKJ)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. (Rom 1:18-19 NKJ)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:12 AM »

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »

The is eagle's wings are God's deliverance, guidance, salvation and protection. God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt "on eagles' wings" and it was the point where God established His covenant with them. This is why the Psalms describe God as renewing our strength like the eagle's (Ps 103:5) and rebellion is described as making one's nest as high as the eagle (Jer 49:16, Obadiah 1:4).

Ex 19:3-6
And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Deut 32:9-12
For the LORD's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.

Is 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alfred Persson
Jesus is LORD, God the Eternal Son
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant but no Filioque
Jurisdiction: usa

Primitive Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »

The is eagle's wings are God's deliverance, guidance, salvation and protection. God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt "on eagles' wings" and it was the point where God established His covenant with them. This is why the Psalms describe God as renewing our strength like the eagle's (Ps 103:5) and rebellion is described as making one's nest as high as the eagle (Jer 49:16, Obadiah 1:4).

Ex 19:3-6
And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Deut 32:9-12
For the LORD's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.

Is 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

The imagery here is somewhat different, the woman is given wings like an eagle, giving her the  ability to fly herself to safety...she is not being borne to safety.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. (Rom 1:18-19 NKJ)
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:59 PM »

You think the Bears are going to be able to overcome the Vikings tomorrow?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »

You think the Bears are going to be able to overcome the Vikings tomorrow?

I don't really follow sports too much but my sister and her husband are Bengals fans. They've had quite a season this year.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »

I'm really enjoying the Samuel Adams Winter Lager. Merry Christmas!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14:02 AM »

It is delicious!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:55:09 AM »

LOL. I see you have heard Alfred's fish tales before.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »

Back to the OP: are they like buffalon wings?  They're good with a draft beer.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 02:17:38 AM »

Maybe it means Paul McCartney named his band "Wings" as an homage to the Eagles.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 02:21:24 AM »

Go Clippers!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:43:44 AM »

Is He Back Again ,I thought he Slammed the door and took his Blessings with him,
But left the dust of his shoes here... Grin

Had Samuel Adams beer Before ,Didn't care for it though ,
reminded me of Goose Island Beer Ugh....

Coors Good ,Rolling Rock excellent......

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »

Maybe it means Paul McCartney named his band "Wings" as an homage to the Eagles.

Take it easy

(if I could only figure out how to do it, I could post my own picture from that corner).

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »

Is He Back Again ,I thought he Slammed the door and took his Blessings with him,

Goose Island Honker's Ale FTW!!1
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:47:46 AM »

Excellent choice.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »

Coors?! Rolling Rock?! Are you SERIOUS?

Get thee to a micro-brewery immediately so thou may partake of truly excellent beer and not mass produced swill!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

Coors?! Rolling Rock?! Are you SERIOUS?

Get thee to a micro-brewery immediately so thou may partake of truly excellent beer and not mass produced swill!

I agree, micro brew FTW! and Guinness (mmmmm motor oil)  Cool

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

Micro Brewed Beer Has a awful After/taste ...Hate it... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »

Eh? I don't think it's possible to make such a generalization.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »

A very broad stroke indeed!  Huh
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

I think what he's trying to say is that non-BudMillCoors beer has an actual flavor palate to it which he does not appreciate.  He prefers the watered down taste of the megabreweries.

I can appreciate that.  At least he's not drinking Zima or Four Loko...

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags: Alfreds back... What? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz beer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: