OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Transmission of viruses
viral contamination - 3 (30%)
method of communion - 7 (70%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common communion spoon/cup  (Read 7951 times) Average Rating: 0
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »

In regard the OP, you mention fibromyalgia. I do not believe this is a communicable condition. 

On another note, my experience with receiving communion in the Eastern Catholic Church is limited but for me it has always been dropped in my mouth, and the spoon has never touched my tongue or lips. As a matter of fact, instructions were to avoid placing your tongue or mouth to the spoon. From what some of the other posters have indicated it sounds like putting your mouth and tongue around the spoon is encouragedi n some churches. Is this correct?

Since you have indicated that you are Catholic, I assume  when you normally receive communion you either have the host placed on your tongue by the priest or given to you in your hand.  If your concern is germs, receiving by hand might actually be less sanitary. The priest basically touches everyones hands when he gives them the host. Hands are notorious for carrying germs.  However, as many others have already said, since what you are receiving is the body and blood of Christ, and if you believe it to be so, how could you possibly receive anything bad from it? I never worry about it when I receive communion.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »

A priest that I know has an anaphalaxic reaction to gluten, but yet he consumes the body of Christ every Sunday with no ill effects. Obviously this has to signify the presence of our Lord. If it were merely bread, would this priest not fall over and die immediately at the altar?

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »

A priest that I know has an anaphalaxic reaction to gluten, but yet he consumes the body of Christ every Sunday with no ill effects. Obviously this has to signify the presence of our Lord. If it were merely bread, would this priest not fall over and die immediately at the altar?

-Nick

Also, alcoholics don't appear to have trouble with relapsing after taking the communion wine/blood of Christ.

Not that the Russian Church has any alcoholics...but if we did   Grin

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »

Some articles that either report evidence directly (i.e. abstracts), or which have compiled references from elsewhere:

http://kotaraang.angelfire.com/Sharing.pdf
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+effects+of+receiving+Holy+Communion+on+health.-a019736122

And the aforementioned:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3284951

All these articles were easily found during a cursory search of the internet.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Will of God

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=communion+and+viruses&cp=19&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=communion+and+viruses&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=c341562a61b59af3
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »

These are not about Orthodox Churches.
Will of God

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »

As we enter the age of immune-deficiency diseases we need
to be aware that certain diseases may be transferred via lip
sputum, with far-reaching consequences to immunecompromised
patients such as those with diabetes, cancer
patients on chemotherapy, HIV patients or those who are ill
and debilitated. Transferable diseases include: (i) herpes
simplex (winter sore); (ii) herpes zoster (shingles); (iii)
diarrhoea (viral); (iv) cholera; (v) Salmonella (typhoid
diarrhoea); (vi) Shigella (dysentery); (vii) hepatitis A (infective
jaundice); (viii) flu and other respiratory (lung) viruses; (ix)
viral encephalitis; (x) bacterial meningitis; (xi) Streptococcus
group A (sore throat); (xii) Staphylococcus aureus (diarrhoea and
food poisoning); and (xiii) TB (sputum transfer – all organs
may be infected).
A sputum-contaminated chalice requires medical sterilisation
in an autoclave to eradicate the possibility of disease transfer.
If individuals feel strongly that they should use the common
chalice, they should be made aware of the above possibilities.
The church has a moral and ethical obligation to inform
participants of the potential risks involved in using the
communal chalice.
To be on the safe side, an individual challicle should be used
by each participant.
J B Janeke
G de Bruin
Mulbarton Clinic
Johannesburg
 You refused to provide a sourcelink of this plagiarised text and to describe a bare link posted here. Both things are required by the forum rules so I am putting you under post moderation until you meet my demand. All your posts will be rejected  until then - Michał Kalina.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

"Ye of little faith"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »

As I think I said earlier, it is a matter of faith vs. doubt. "With the fear of God, with faith and with love, draw near," the priest says before the communion of the faithful. In the mystery of Holy Communion, we have a physical manifestation of reliance on God that we carry to every other part of our lives. If you stay away from the chalice because you're afraid of getting sick, and you believe that in the chalice is the very body and blood of Christ, the healer and physician of souls and bodies, you have a very big problem, spiritually speaking. How will you ever trust God to take care of you in anything--and even to save your soul? If He can't give you His body and blood without letting harm come to you, then He can't really do anything for you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

As I think I said earlier, it is a matter of faith vs. doubt. "With the fear of God, with faith and with love, draw near," the priest says before the communion of the faithful. In the mystery of Holy Communion, we have a physical manifestation of reliance on God that we carry to every other part of our lives. If you stay away from the chalice because you're afraid of getting sick, and you believe that in the chalice is the very body and blood of Christ, the healer and physician of souls and bodies, you have a very big problem, spiritually speaking. How will you ever trust God to take care of you in anything--and even to save your soul? If He can't give you His body and blood without letting harm come to you, then He can't really do anything for you.

I've been taught that it doesn't matter if you doubt it or not, it's still the Body and Blood of Christ, you are still receiving God himself, and thus, even if you doubt, it's still his Body and Blood, and it cannot carry any virus or illness.

So I agree...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:51:17 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
lizzyd

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »

Shanghaiski - well said.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »

I've been taught that it doesn't matter if you doubt it or not, it's still the Body and Blood of Christ, you are still receiving God himself, and thus, even if you doubt, it's still his Body and Blood, and it cannot carry any virus or illness.

So I agree...

I would hope that this doesn't mean that people are encouraged to commune if they doubt that the Holy Gifts are the body and blood of Christ.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

So I agree...

I would hope that this doesn't mean that people are encouraged to commune if they doubt that the Holy Gifts are the body and blood of Christ.

Oh no, definitely not...
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-03/us/new.york.hepatitis.a_1_communion-offering-vaccines-hepatitis?_s=PM:US

Hepatitis A warning issued after Christmas communion on Long Island
Hundreds of people might have been exposed to hepatitis A while receiving communion on Christmas Day, Long Island officials said Monday.

The Nassau County Department of Health is offering vaccines to those who attended two services at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Massapequa Park in Long Island, New York, according to Nassau County Department of Health spokeswoman Mary Ellen Laurain.

Edited for the news posting policy - Michał Kalina
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:17:42 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-03/us/new.york.hepatitis.a_1_communion-offering-vaccines-hepatitis?_s=PM:US

Hepatitis A warning issued after Christmas communion on Long Island
Hundreds of people might have been exposed to hepatitis A while receiving communion on Christmas Day, Long Island officials said Monday.

The Nassau County Department of Health is offering vaccines to those who attended two services at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Massapequa Park in Long Island, New York, according to Nassau County Department of Health spokeswoman Mary Ellen Laurain.

Edited for the news posting policy - Michał Kalina
Your point being... Huh
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:18:09 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

Thank you everyone who took the time to explain the unbreakable goodness of Communion. However I will essentially as the original question from another perspective. If I feel myself coming down with a cold, let alone know that I have a full blown head cold, should I not avoid communal cups?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »

If I feel myself coming down with a cold, let alone know that I have a full blown head cold, should I not avoid communal cups?

I would probably only receive the Body and Blood if I was aware of how sick I was and not drink the communal cup of wine afterwards.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »

Thank you everyone who took the time to explain the unbreakable goodness of Communion. However I will essentially as the original question from another perspective. If I feel myself coming down with a cold, let alone know that I have a full blown head cold, should I not avoid communal cups?

Absolutely not! Of course you should commune. Christ is the Great Physician of our "souls and bodies." If you trust the Eucharist to save your soul, should you not trust it to heal your sniffles? This doesn't mean it will without question, but we have already stated that no harm can come from the Chalice and that we partake for our salvation. What reason is left not to commune?

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »

Maybe I was unclear with how my church serves the Body and Blood, which is via common spoon. How could I partake  without sharing germs? As for Ben's comment, I want to avoid making anyone else sick, not myself worse.

Are there any jurisdictions that serve the Body and Blood in separate cups like some Protestant churches do?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Maybe I was unclear with how my church serves the Body and Blood, which is via common spoon.

We know

How could I partake  without sharing germs?

As usual.

As for Ben's comment, I want to avoid making anyone else sick, not myself worse.

You can't.

Are there any jurisdictions that serve the Body and Blood in separate cups like some Protestant churches do?

Fortunately there are not any.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:14:03 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »

Curious...
Are there eastern Orthodox Churches that dip the Body in the Blood,and commune people that way.......
The liturgy of Saint James has both species separate ,when communing the faithful....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »

Sorry, I think I misread your question. I thought you were talking about the communal cup that some churches have where after receiving the Eucharist they wash it down with some extra wine set aside next to the blessed bread. I was saying maybe not to drink from that cup, as it is just regular wine and there might be come potential there for sharing germs, that I don't know.

If you are talking about whether or not to take the Eucharist served from the common cup, then the answer is that yes, you absolutely should take communion, especially if you are sick. You take Him in for the healing of soul and body. To refrain from communion because of "germs" completely betrays one of the core dogmas of Orthodoxy. You should always rush to the chalice for the living water; the fountain of immortality. That is unless, of course, you have not properly prepared yourself by participating in the weekly fasting requirements and the pre-communion fast from the midnight before, saying the pre-communnion prayers and services beforehand at home, and also having confessed any serious sins which have interrupted your peace with God. Of course if you are sick, then it can be acceptable to allow for some laxity in fasting so that your body does not become more sick and weak.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:24:16 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »

Maybe I was unclear with how my church serves the Body and Blood, which is via common spoon.

We know

How could I partake  without sharing germs?

As usual.

As for Ben's comment, I want to avoid making anyone else sick, not myself worse.

You can't.

Fortunately there are not any.

Michał, in short order, pretty much took my reponse. Tongue

My point was not only about receiving health through receiving the Eucharist, but that disease cannot be transmitted through the Eucharist. Do you honestly believe that Christ, who calls us to draw near to Him in love, would allow us to fall ill for following His commandment? That the Author of Life would impart disease?

Curious...
Are there eastern Orthodox Churches that dip the Body in the Blood,and commune people that way.......
The liturgy of Saint James has both species separate ,when communing the faithful....

No Eastern Orthodox Churches commune the elements separately, or by only "dipping." It is a very, very strong tradition that is universal in the Church. However, I would say that it is not a Tradition. The Eucharist was originally served separately, was most always served that way in the West (pre-schism) and is still served that way by some OO churches. This doesn't bother me, but as a proud Byzantine Rite Christian, I wouldn't easily release our tradition of mixing the elements.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »

Are we sure that he did not share via personal cups?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »

Can you rephrase your question? I don't understand it. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:43:19 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »

Can you rephrase your question? I don't understand it. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.

Don't feel bad, Michal. I am and can't understand it either.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »

Should we take care not to physically venerate icons if we are contagiously sick?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »

Should we take care not to physically venerate icons if we are contagiously sick?

I would.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »

If you're that contagiously sick, why not just stay home? You're more likely to spread your germs by coughing or having contact with a crowd than by kissing an icon.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »

Nearly our entire Parish go sick about three weeks ago.

I am not sure if this is any different then when an entire class of school kids get sick all at the same time. We are at close quarters in our Church.

There is no way to tell if it happens due to a common spoon, common wine cup after communion, kissing the Priests hand, or just being around each other....

I think it is not too weird to ask my Priest to use anti-bacterial cleanser on his hands if he is sick or not to get too close during confession or to ask our eight year old alter server  not to serve if we see he is dripping snot and coming down with something.

I was nasty sick and couldnt afford not to work. I have lost some patience about this sort of thing..... as you can see Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:47:12 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

If you're that contagiously sick, why not just stay home? You're more likely to spread your germs by coughing or having contact with a crowd than by kissing an icon.
I would recommend staying home or at least carrying hand sanitizer and warning your brethren when in their presence.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »

You know, since antiquity, it has been the responsibility of clergy (namely deacons) to carry the mysteries to the ill and commune them. It is sad that this does not seem to happen very often, at least here in the States.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »

You know, since antiquity, it has been the responsibility of clergy (namely deacons) to carry the mysteries to the ill and commune them. It is sad that this does not seem to happen very often, at least here in the States.

The Roman Catholics do it for my grandmother at her assisted living apartment if she has a bad Sunday and can't make it.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »

My priest routinely brings the mysteries to parishioners in hospitals and retirement homes.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »

good point...  Cheesy
Tags: communion illness 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: