OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different Types of Evangelization  (Read 772 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »

Orthodoxhistory had an interesting comment:
I have uploaded a copy of a very short article on Christmas in New York in 1874.  What I wish to do, however, is not simply provide you with a little factoid, but to use this piece as a window into what “evangelism” meant for Orthodoxy on the ground in NY in the 1870s.  At the time, the diocese of the Russian Mission did not formally extend into New York, but this chapel existed as a show-chapel of sorts, in part to promote good relations with the Protestant Episcopalians.  Bjerring had a soft approach to evangelism.  He did not engage in direct proselytism and even discouraged people from attending and converting, though he also said he would not shut the door in inquirer’s faces.  He wished to make Orthodoxy known, but in the context of a possible future reunion of Christians, especially the Anglican Communion and the Orthodox Church.  Although one might consider that this approach would work against converting people....

....So, early on, the Russian Orthodox Church had a chapel that sought to entice people through a soft sell of providing information and services in English.  This might not be the kind of evangelism many of us would want today, but it’s worth noting that this softer sell has a history in America.  Of course, it might be easier to have a softer sell in a context in which religious concerns regularly made the papers.  In many places in the country today, it takes a scandal to make the paper.  Perhaps, though, the real lesson to be learned is twofold: a soft sell has a place at times but in the current situation, where real reunion between Orthodoxy and other Christian bodies seems highly unlikely, a more overt proselytism has a role to play.  That is, somehow, what we may need is a marriage of the two.  In January, I will continue with this theme of evangelism in America.  Looking at our Orthodox heritage of missions and evangelism is vital.
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2010/12/soft-evangelism-in-19th-c-ny/

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »

That is, somehow, what we may need is a marriage of the two.

That seems right.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »

I find it interesting that prayers were offered for the Emperor of Russia, and the King of Greece, and the President of the United States.

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »

I find it interesting that prayers were offered for the Emperor of Russia, and the King of Greece, and the President of the United States.
Actually it was common. Often the Serbian King was also prayed for.

Btw, the prayers for the Czar were dropped about 1904, by the ukaze of the Russian Holy Governing Synod:some Americans expressed concerns about dual loyalty.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »

At least they prayed for the President at all. We don't anymore in ROCOR, but I personally think it's the right thing to do. It just seems to me things back then were kinda mixed up, as is to be expected given the unique situation of immigration, etc., but mixed up in a nice way, a way you could imagine would eventually be superseded by normalcy. Now it seems like it's just a big mess in America.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: