OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adelphopoiesis, The Orthodox Ritual Of Making People Brothers  (Read 3763 times) Average Rating: 0
lines

Faith: Christian

« on: December 16, 2010, 06:22:27 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelphopoiesis

Adelphopoiesis, or adelphopoiia from the Greek ἀδελφοποίησις, derived from ἀδελφός (adelphos) "brother" and ποιέω (poieō) "I make", literally "brother-making" is a ceremony practiced at one time by various Christian churches to unite together two people of the same sex (normally men).

Does anyone know if this ritual is still practiced by the orthodox church.

There are revisionist historians who claim that this ritual is a form of homosexual marriage however it is clear to me that this ritual is NOT a form of homosexual marriage.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

Adelphopoiesis, or adelphopoiia from the Greek ἀδελφοποίησις, derived from ἀδελφός (adelphos) "brother" and ποιέω (poieō) "I make", literally "brother-making" is a ceremony practiced at one time by various Christian churches to unite together two people of the same sex (normally men).

There are revisionist historians who claim that this ritual is a form of homosexual marriage however it is clear to me that this ritual is NOT a form of homosexual marriage.

Do brothers do such things?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »

I believe that the claim is Saint Sergius and Bacchus took part in a service such as this. I don't really understand how it can be seen as a homosexual rite. But on the other hand, when one's conscience is seared, it's easy to fall into delusion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »

This topic comes up from time to time. I've posted that Bosworth has had the rug pulled from under him, including by a woman who had the ceremony by a Syriac Orthodox cleric, where noone, including the three (the two women and the priest), thought of it as a gay marriage.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

The rite continues to exist in rural Albania, though no longer under the auspices of the Church. But since this was a secular rite that the Church adopted for a time, it's simply gone full-circle back to the people.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

The rite continues to exist in rural Albania, though no longer under the auspices of the Church. But since this was a secular rite that the Church adopted for a time, it's simply gone full-circle back to the people.
Somewhere our resident Baptist missionary to Albania mentioned something about that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »

What is the point of the ceremony anyway?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »

What is the point of the ceremony anyway?

I imagine it's kind of like being "blood brothers." It's going beyond mere friendship to a high standard of loyalty and fraternity.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »

Is it true that it also has to do with ending feuds?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »

In Albania it establishes the responsibility of one party to avenge the death of the other. The idea is that an enemy would be less likely to attack you if he knew that another man is going to kill him and his whole family for it.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »

In Albania it establishes the responsibility of one party to avenge the death of the other. The idea is that an enemy would be less likely to attack you if he knew that another man is going to kill him and his whole family for it.
Do the Scots-Irish of Appalachia have a similar ceremony?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

As a Scots-Irishman of Appalachia, I have to say...kinda. It's usually an informal thing, there's no ceremony. But certainly two men can come to care for each other in such a way they refer to each other as mutual brothers. Often, this would include common attendance at family events and other things. We like adopting people into our families!

As far as the rule of blood, it was an ancient Cherokee practice. If one person murders another, the offended clan is awarded the duty to kill the offender...or the offender's next-of-kin.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:13:10 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

As a Scots-Irishman of Appalachia, I have to say...kinda. It's usually an informal thing, there's no ceremony. But certainly two men can come to care for each other in such a way they refer to each other as mutual brothers. Often, this would include common attendance at family events and other things. We like adopting people into our families!
Like a gang?  Tongue

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

Like a gang?  Tongue

Unfortunately, that is probably more often true than we would usually like to admit.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Agabus
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

A friend shared this on Facebook today, which reminded me of this thread (and the upteen others like it I have encountered across the Orthowebs):

When a Medieval Knight Could Marry a Medieval Knight.

It discusses Ukrainian practice, which I assume falls under the purview of this thread.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:00:33 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Agabus
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »

Double post.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:01:31 AM by Agabus » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

A friend shared this on Facebook today, which reminded me of this thread (and the upteen others like it I have encountered across the Orthowebs):

When a Medieval Knight Could Marry a Medieval Knight.

It discusses Ukrainian practice, which I assume falls under the purview of this thread.

It seems to be talking about adelphopoiesis, even mentioning that it made them spiritual brothers.  Well, if so, why would you assume it permitted a sexual relationship?  I think the author is largely ignorant of traditional Christianity, in which you can't even - for instance - marry a godparent's child because you are spiritual siblings; so why on earth would it make sense that people were entering into spiritual brotherhoods in order to engage in sex?  The fact that the author admits many of these people were missionaries about to be sent to far-off places would also suggest that it was not a sexual thing, and in fact I would imagine missionaries were made brothers to KEEP THEM from having sex.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags: Adelphopoiesis brother-making adelphopoiia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: