OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:26:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book recommendations of Pre-WWI Romania  (Read 410 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: December 15, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »

I have been reading a "feel good" book called "A secret gift" by Ted Gup. It chronicles an anonymous gift of money his grandfather gave to 150 people in 1933. As I am reading the book he talks about how his grandfather was a Jewish refuge from Romania.  I was unaware of the pre-WWI law enacted to keep Jews from many vocations, secondary schools and universities. I have been reading a little about WWI era issues. I know that WWI was much farther reaching than we Americans typically realize it is. I will be teaching WWI in about 2 years to my eldest child, so I want to study the surrounding era more throughly before I take on the subject.

Does anyone have any book suggestions? Any books about WWI as a whole would be nice. I have a few I can borrow from my brother (a big WWI fan) and I own "A World Undone."

("fan" isn't a good term, I guess you could say the he inhales any information on WWI aviation in particular. He is a fan of the pilots and such)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:58:57 PM by Quinault » Logged
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »

I have been watching the DVD series "Fall of the Eagles" which is about all the events leading up to World War One in Germany, Austria, Russia, and England.  It is in a set of 4 disks.  I borrowed it from the library.  It is historically accurate and very informative.
Book One of the Balkan Trilogy by Olivia Manning is supposed to be fiction but in reality is about her life in Romania before WW2 breaks out and ends with the war starting.  It has a lot of background about Jews in Romania and the history and culture.  One of the key figures is Jewish.
It was also made into a BBC series too.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: