OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incense Allergies  (Read 3950 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: December 15, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »

Moderators if you need to move this, please feel free - I'm not quite sure if this is posted here correctly.

I finally pegged down the fierce sinus pressure headaches I've had to the incense burned during Liturgy, Matins and Vespers and at my prayer corner - does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?  I am on a constant antihistamine - the only one I can take due to high blood pressure -and it doesn't seem to touch the allergic swelling of my sinus cavities. 

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »

Moderators if you need to move this, please feel free - I'm not quite sure if this is posted here correctly.

I finally pegged down the fierce sinus pressure headaches I've had to the incense burned during Liturgy, Matins and Vespers and at my prayer corner - does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?  I am on a constant antihistamine - the only one I can take due to high blood pressure -and it doesn't seem to touch the allergic swelling of my sinus cavities. 

I just mentioned in another thread I have this trouble as well. I have a comorbid heart condition that can be affected by anti-histamines or a triggered asthma attack.

First minimizing your exposure is the obvious first line of attack. So maybe you can do without the incense at home.

I've discussed this with the priest of the parish I attend. When we sat down the first couple of times to talk, the most embarrassing thing to me I had to bring up was my reaction to the incense.

He said they use different incenses at various times and to let him know if I find myself less bothered on a regular basis and that they would be mindful of the use of that particular incense. Frankly, I very embarrassed at this suggestion, since I am at best an inquirer and the Church is covered in the blood of Martyrs. But the priest just laughed a little and said if someone has a peanut allergy, they make sure to let them know which foods after the Divine Liturgy have nuts in them. He also added I am not the only who seems to have the problem and others might and not be willing to mention it, so he was glad I brought it up and he would look into more "hypoallergenic" options.

What you can do without any problems: saline washing. This is can be done with a neti pot or nasal spray pre and post exposure and everyday. It works well for nearly everyone who does it. My allergist insists on compliance with this practice.

Diet. I think this can be very helpful, although more subtle and is controversial. One has to accept the inflammation hypothesis, which I think is easy enough to do. You sinus trouble is due to acute, local inflammation. Any chronic inflammation local or otherwise certainly is not going to help. So it is probably best to eat a diet which is healthful and less likely to increase inflammation.

The good news, the diet can easily be Lenten and eating in a healthy Lenten manner could be helpful. (As I have mentioned elsewhere, eating Lenten in wealthy Western countries can be easily done and also in a unhealthy manner.)

What are the hallmarks of a less inflammatory diet?

Higher amounts of omega three fatty acids within the diet: cold, deep water fish, grass fed beef, pork, chicken, not grain lot.
Low amounts of nearly all poly-unsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) from vegetable oils.
High amounts of a variety of vegetables.
Low amounts of simple carbohydrates: sugar, potatoes, most grains eaten in Western countries, etc.
Plenty of sleep.
Lower levels of stress.
Moderate but not intense exercise.
Regular fasting (in the sense of abstaining from all food for regular periods). This could mean not eating until after 3 pm as was suggested in another thread here about keeping fasts. Eating just one meal a couple times a week. Abstaining totally a day a week.
Reduction in caloric intake in general if you are overweight.

All of the above to the degree you can.

I would also consult with my doc about using anti-histamines which are delivered locally and not as long acting as the medicine you are currently taking. Nasal spray, inhaler, etc. Explain to your doc you what symptoms you are experiencing and that you will not reduce your risk by avoidance. Medicine is about harm reduction. Balancing your chronic sinusitis against a slight elevation in BP is not a zero-sum game.

In short, in order of importance IME and others I have known with environmental allergies:

Doc consult about more localize anti-histamines.
Nasal saline irrigation.
Avoiding all PUFAs from vegetable (seed and nut oils). Olive oil is primarily a mono-unsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) and is pretty neutral to your health. It is not the health wonder that the popular health that popular media would have you believe.
Getting enough sleep.
Reduce the stress in your life.
Cut the junk carbs in your diet.
Increase your consumption of cold deep water fish or grass fed meats.
Plenty and variety of veggies (not fruit).
Moderate exercise.
Weight loss, if needed.
Regular fasting.

Best of luck. During a particularly long Liturgy I when I first visit an Orthodox Church, I had an allergic asthma attack which trigger a bout of angina.

You have my sympathies.

Best of luck and if you are suspicious of any of the above and write it off, please at least try the nasal saline irrigation.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:31:27 PM »

My eyes are very sensitive post several surgeries to allergens and there is one type of incense that will really get me going (the one of course that the pastor really really likes....). I had to stop singing the  responses to the Panachida at the funeral homes because of the close proximity to a lot of incense and the heat from the crowded room. Since I sing in the choir, it is not a problem most Sundays etc...because the loft is about two stories above the nave in our Church. However, that is more often than not, the exception to the rule. Good luck and stay in the back.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »

There are hypo-allergenic incenses, and one can tell the difference.  I have allergies as well, and there are some that don't bother me at all.   Not all incenses are created equal, and some are downright assaultive, while others are very mild.  ALSO, and this is very important, is that if the parish is heavy in the use of paraffin wax candles as opposed to beeswax or other wax, your allergies will still be agitated even once hypo-allergenic incenses are regularly used.  Paraffin is cheap and beeswax is expensive, so it is quite common in churches which have a lot of lamps hanging before icons to use paraffin, even if they are using beeswax in the boxes or stands.    A Church with good air circulation also makes a huge difference.   

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

almost all allergies are provoked by diet, so I would honestly seek dietary changes to find relief, because if you are allergic to incense I would imagine you also have strong sensitivities to smog, pollen, dander, pollution, smoke etc etc and might have more than just allergies to Church?

Many people turn to drugs, but the problem is not what are you not putting in your body (ie, drugs) but what is that you are already putting into your body (ie, foods)?

Further, turn to prayer, and see what consolation of meaning or intention God has in all of this, I am sure it has some significance.  In the spirit of humility, I might suggest you bear your cross and cope, allowing God to alter and transform you in His Grace, after all, its like the Apostle said, I will boast in my infirmities, when I am weak then I am strong..

Allergies suck, that is for sure, but how we deal with them can cause just as many problems.  I say investigate your diet, are you eating enough fruits and whole, fresh foods like vegetables and breads and grains?  Increase your real food intake, you just might see a decline in symptoms, eating better, real, whole foods over the years as slowly readjusted my body away from quite a few ailments and inconveniences, but it is a continual process, which requires patience and perseverance which is why I suggested prayer as your most potent prescription, as God alone can grant us such things in His Mercy.

Above all else, consult your Spiritual Father about this matter and see what he says or suggests?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:14:53 PM »

Marigold tea relieves inflammation. You can get culinary marigold flowers online. The Georgians grind them up and use them to flavor their delicious cuisine.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »

Marigold tea relieves inflammation. You can get culinary marigold flowers online. The Georgians grind them up and use them to flavor their delicious cuisine.

You are probably referring to calendula. Marigold gets thrown around to name a variety of genus of flowers.

And I would wary depending on your allergy of ingesting much of anything of floral origin.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »

You are probably referring to calendula. Marigold gets thrown around to name a variety of genus of flowers.

And I would wary depending on your allergy of ingesting much of anything of floral origin.

I wanted to clarify that I am not saying it is improper to refer to calendula as a marigold but rather that marigold is term which is used to name many other flowers than those in the genus of calendula.

But I could be wrong. I hate botany.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »

I also have this problem.  as an altar server, I prepare the incense.  I get very nautious when holding the censor...the incense alwayse manages to blow into my face.  I try to remember to take an over the counter allergy pill before Church. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:16 PM »

I have the same problem.  I take OTC Zyrtec.  Now I don't have any problem, even when I serve in the altar.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »

Try Nasonex. I always thought that nose sprays were used to relieve the symptoms. This one actually works to prevent allergy attacks.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

Ah!  I knew I could count on y'all!!  Great!! I have a good two days of heavy work from my employment to do, but I'll be back Saturday morning to take notes and go shopping. . .relief is on the way. . .yay. (!!)
Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: