OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first Orthodox Christmas  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
clarinet3685

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 14, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »

This will be the first Christmas we celebrate on our journey to Orthodoxy.  I have a few questions...
On past Christmases, we would sometimes go to Mass on Christmas Eve, followed by a big get-together for the whole extended family at someone's house (not only is it Christmas Eve, but my grandmother's birthday!), and then Christmas morning was for presents and relaxing, and getting ready for dinner.  Do Orthodox go to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Or both?  We will be spending Christmas with my parents (12 hours away), and I already know that it will be a battle to go to church at all, let alone Christmas morning.  If you do the Santa thing, do you go to church first, and then open presents?  How do you get your children to walk by all the presents w/o opening them?  Our son is 3 1/2, so I would like to start a tradition now, when he is young.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
This will be the first Christmas we celebrate on our journey to Orthodoxy.  I have a few questions...
On past Christmases, we would sometimes go to Mass on Christmas Eve, followed by a big get-together for the whole extended family at someone's house (not only is it Christmas Eve, but my grandmother's birthday!), and then Christmas morning was for presents and relaxing, and getting ready for dinner.  Do Orthodox go to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Or both?  We will be spending Christmas with my parents (12 hours away), and I already know that it will be a battle to go to church at all, let alone Christmas morning.  If you do the Santa thing, do you go to church first, and then open presents?  How do you get your children to walk by all the presents w/o opening them?  Our son is 3 1/2, so I would like to start a tradition now, when he is young.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Congratulations!

You should ask your priest and folks at your parish what their traditions are, each locality tends to celebrate a bit individualistically.  The Midnight Christmas Eve Liturgy service tends to be fairly universal, but how it plays it is whats different.  In our Parish we have Liturgy from 5pm-1am, then choir and sermons until around 3-4am, then we have a huge festival breakfast of meat and tasty dishes in the spirit of joy and fellowship.  Folks tend to get home around dawn or later, and so we here skip the Christmas Morning service, though many many parishes I understand have a Liturgy on Christmas morning as well.  The Santa thing, the presents, those are really a family matter, I do not know if these are done in a public kind of way, I believe it is for the home.

Further, Orthodox Christmas is on January 7, so I would assume it would be safe that you would not have a conflict over family versus Liturgy, I would imagine you will get two Christmas celebrations this year.  In my family who are Baptists, we do the American Christmas thing on December 24/25, and then I have the Orthodox celebrations appropriately on January 6/7. I would advice you to highly prioritize attending a Liturgy service on Orthodox Christmas, it should be a life changing experience, and you should aim in the Grace of God to put nothing before it.  This is Orthodox, to participate in the Liturgy is central and above any and everything else.  This is entirely where the American tradition of only attending services on Easter and Christmas evolved, from the absolute importance of these Liturgy services on the calendar.

My advice, ask around, after all its the Christmas spirit, people will be joyous to share it with you Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:17:21 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »

This will be the first Christmas we celebrate on our journey to Orthodoxy.  I have a few questions...
On past Christmases, we would sometimes go to Mass on Christmas Eve, followed by a big get-together for the whole extended family at someone's house (not only is it Christmas Eve, but my grandmother's birthday!), and then Christmas morning was for presents and relaxing, and getting ready for dinner.  Do Orthodox go to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Or both?  We will be spending Christmas with my parents (12 hours away), and I already know that it will be a battle to go to church at all, let alone Christmas morning.  If you do the Santa thing, do you go to church first, and then open presents?  How do you get your children to walk by all the presents w/o opening them?  Our son is 3 1/2, so I would like to start a tradition now, when he is young.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

It depends on the parish. Many parishes, at least in my experience, do Great Compline with Matins and First Hour on Christmas Eve, then 3rd and 6th Hours and the Divine Liturgy, Christmas morning. But some do a Pascha-type all night vigil with Great Compline, Matins, Hours, and Liturgy, all Christmas Eve.

I'd say talk to your priest about Santa and presents. My instinct would be to say wait till after Divine Liturgy to do it, if that's workable.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:21:41 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

May I add a question to this?  I purchased a beautiful nativity the year my husband and I got married (pre-orthodox) - is it still permissible to display it?  This will be my first Orthodox Christmas as well. Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »

Further, Orthodox Christmas is on January 7, so I would assume it would be safe that you would not have a conflict over family versus Liturgy, I would imagine you will get two Christmas celebrations this year.  In my family who are Baptists, we do the American Christmas thing on December 24/25, and then I have the Orthodox celebrations appropriately on January 6/7. I would advice you to highly prioritize attending a Liturgy service on Orthodox Christmas, it should be a life changing experience, and you should aim in the Grace of God to put nothing before it.  This is Orthodox, to participate in the Liturgy is central and above any and everything else.  This is entirely where the American tradition of only attending services on Easter and Christmas evolved, from the absolute importance of these Liturgy services on the calendar.

The OP may attend a parish on the Revised Julian Calendar, celebrating the Nativity of Our Lord on the same day as the Gregorian calendar.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »

May I add a question to this?  I purchased a beautiful nativity the year my husband and I got married (pre-orthodox) - is it still permissible to display it?  This will be my first Orthodox Christmas as well. Smiley

Of course! I know a family that has a nice tradition of setting it up, all except the Wise Men when Advent begins. (Maybe without Baby Jesus, too.) And, on the first day of Advent, they hide the Wise Men at the other end of the house, and each day they get a little closer, until they finally arrive on Christmas Day. The children have fun looking for them on their way.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »

I, for one, don't see why displaying a Nativity set would be bad.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »

The schedule for Christmas services depends on the local parish. For example, at our parish, the services will begin around 9 pm, followed by a festive meal (meat! cheese! eggnog! oh, did I mention meat?  Wink). We serve a Christmas meal to the homeless on Christmas Day, so we don't have services on Christmas Day.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags: Christmas nativity Santa Presents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: