Author Topic: Nativity Royal Hours and Matins of the Feast  (Read 1439 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Nativity Royal Hours and Matins of the Feast
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
I forgot to ask about this on Sunday after Liturgy and the Priest of the parish I attend is currently on pilgrimage, so we won't be having a Vespers till Saturday night.

I received this in my email for the schedule of worship over the Nativity season:

Friday, December 24:  Royal Hours at 9:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and Noon.

Should I prepare myself for 4 hours of standing?

Anyone care to offer a link or basic description of the Matins of the Feast?

Thank you.

If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
Re: Nativity Royal Hours and Matins of the Feast
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
The Royal Hours are like the monastic daily hours except with some differences in the psalter readings, there is a Gospel reading and the nature of the hymns.

The hours do not really last long, about 20-25 minutes each.  So, stand for what you can and when you can't sit.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
The Royal Hours are like the monastic daily hours except with some differences in the psalter readings, there is a Gospel reading and the nature of the hymns.

The hours do not really last long, about 20-25 minutes each.  So, stand for what you can and when you can't sit.

The standing part was not meant entirely in earnest. I can stand for more than eight hours, I am a relatively healthy adult after all.

More of my concern is that I have to prep myself for longer exposure to the incense. I have a at times severe allergic reaction to it.

Thank you for the info.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
I'm a tonsured cantor; I've been through Royal Hours several times, and here is my take:

Royal Hours are part of a paramoni.  There are three of these in the liturgical year:  for Christmas, for Epiphany, and for Pascha (the Paramoni of Pascha takes place in the context of the Paschal Triduum, and is not named as a Paramoni).

A paramoni is never celebrated on a weekend; therefore, if Christmas or Epiphany falls on Sunday or Monday, the Paramoni, and hence, the Royal Hours, is celebrated on the preceeding Friday; otherwise, it is celebrated on the Eve of the Feast.

Royal Hours (so named because they were a special service composed for the Byzantine Imperial Chapel) differ from ordinary Hours only in having a more set structure of fixed psalms, Gospel readings, and a special idiomelon sung at the Ninth Hour with prostrations.  In parochial use, Royal Hours shouldn't take up more than two hours.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:59:59 PM by Cymbyz »
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen