Author Topic: Cradles, unite!  (Read 1019 times)

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
Cradles, unite!
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:22:39 AM »
I would like to know how many cradle Orthodox (those baptised and chrismated in the infancy and brought up in more-less religious families) are here.

Me goes first.

Please, no serious discussions here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:23:23 AM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Cradles, unite!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
Maybe a poll would help you more.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »

I am one.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
Maybe a poll would help you more.

I don't think he's looking for a count of "cradle vs convert" necessarily; just wants to hear from those who have been Orthodox since infancy.  The poll would necessarily create the dichotomy he didn't ask for.

(Btw: I, too, have been Orthodox since infancy.)
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
I'm cradle, too. I still remember when I was baptised, chrismated and given Communion then. I was 5 years old.

As for my family, none of them (except my late paternal grandmother maybe) is/was religious, they identify as Orthodox, but they know almost nothing about Orthodoxy, Christ, etc. My grandmother also didn't know much about Orthodoxy, but she used to go to church regularly, she was trying to keep the fasts and from time to time communed. When I was a child, she took me occasionally with her to the church on Great Friday and Pascha. I was 17-18 years old when actually discovered Orthodoxy and Christianity as a whole.

Sadly, being Orthodox here (Balkans, Eastern Europe) is more an ethno-cultural thing, maybe like Roman Catholicism and Protestantism in Western Europe.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I was Born and Baptized in Germany ,Including Brother and Sisters...
Mother From Bosnija Bosanski Brod ,Father Rashka Serbija...cradle all the way...
A story dad told us...
Dad When he was Younger in Rashka Serbija he told us,the serbian Muslims  had a Mosque [Jammija ] close by
when the Muezzin started calling the faithful to prayer , Dad would thow stones at him..The stones would land next to him ,
The Muezzin would pick up the stones ,run around the minaret trying to pay dad back with the stones, by thowing them back at him ...... ;D

Mom was very Religious ,Dad Only when he got Older and the Grave Got closer.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:52:05 PM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
I am also one.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
I would like to know how many cradle Orthodox (those baptised and chrismated in the infancy and brought up in more-less religious families) are here.

Me goes first.

Please, no serious discussions here.
We have serious discussions here? Where have I been? :P
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
I had a cradle when I was a youngun.  :P
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:22 PM »
Dad When he was Younger in Rashka Serbija he told us,the serbian Muslims  had a Mosque [Jammija ] close by
when the Muezzin started calling the faithful to prayer , Dad would thow stones at him..The stones would land next to him ,
The Muezzin would pick up the stones ,run around the minaret trying to pay dad back with the stones, by thowing them back at him ...... ;D

It's nice to see ecumenism in action at the local level  ;)

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
I'm a cradle, although my home was half Protestant and half sorta-nominal Orthodox. Like, we went to church, and that was the only contact I ever had with the Faith growing up. So I'd say I'm about 2/3's cradle.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
bump
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject