OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:48:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noah's Ark, worst myth in history?  (Read 1088 times) Average Rating: 0
TryingtoConvert
Elder

Faith: Disbelief in your belief
Jurisdiction: All in your mind

« on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:13 AM »

Saw this the other day: http://arkencounter.com/

First one they're building, I wonder if they'll try to place two of every animal in it... and not clean it out for seven months, just give it that authenticity.

Also The Ark is a common 'feasibility' test that many 2nd year Naval Architects and Marine Engineers are given as an assignment. What the bible describes is a wooden vessel of at least 450 feet on length; it would leak as quickly as the proverbial sieve, capsize and sink even if it was placed on a dead calm sea/lake. Even if it did stay intact long enough to float, the slightest swell would break the thing into planks within minutes as the hog and sag stresses would splinter the longitudinal structural members from stem to stern. It couldn't stay afloat even empty. Laden with animals and foodstores, it wouldn't be able to ride out a clear day of sailing, much less forty days of the worst storm in history. It would break keel and fall apart.

How does this myth still hold any ground today?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:20:09 AM by TryingtoConvert » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:52 AM »

Because God is not limited by the laws of nature.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:17:33 AM »

Ah been spending time at the happyatheistforum, I see. Are you Atrax Robustus, by chance?

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6318&start=15
Τιμόθεος

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »

I was taught in Catholic school that the Ark story, as well as most of the OT, was a series of stories made up to unite the people. LOL.

Also, there is no such thing as a "happy" Atheist. Only one that is temporarily caught up in an emotional high.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:11 AM »

That's because happiness is just a lie that those stupid religious people make atheists believe in so that the atheists think they're missing something...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »

First one they're building, I wonder if they'll try to place two of every animal in it... and not clean it out for seven months, just give it that authenticity.

Also The Ark is a common 'feasibility' test that many 2nd year Naval Architects and Marine Engineers are given as an assignment. What the bible describes is a wooden vessel of at least 450 feet on length; it would leak as quickly as the proverbial sieve, capsize and sink even if it was placed on a dead calm sea/lake. Even if it did stay intact long enough to float, the slightest swell would break the thing into planks within minutes as the hog and sag stresses would splinter the longitudinal structural members from stem to stern. It couldn't stay afloat even empty. Laden with animals and foodstores, it wouldn't be able to ride out a clear day of sailing, much less forty days of the worst storm in history. It would break keel and fall apart.

Are you sure what you've read is all there is to know about the Ark?

Another question: Are you sure we believe that a literal interpretation of the earliest Genesis narratives is foundational to our Orthodox Christian faith?
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

Do you know what "myth" means outside its watered down pedestrian sense?

If you do, please explain how a myth can worse or better than another.

And: The use of the superlative shows the greatest deficit of imagination.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:28:48 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »

I'd be interested to see a constructed replica based on the actual dimensions specified in the Genesis account, as this has yet to be done. Of course I wouldn't really want to go in person, but to see a video or something of it would be cool. Going to look at it would seem like engaging in some kind of an Evangelical Protestant pilgrimage, which I'm sure the canons forbid on penalty of death.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »

This thread should be entitled, "TryingToConvert, worst atheist (plagiarist masquerading as an) apologist in history?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:08:27 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

^ I like it.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »

me too!!
Τιμόθεος

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

I apologize for my comment a few posts up. I have been a little overwhelmed and last night I fell and took to a bottle. Pray for me!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »

But really, what does the story mean? I love the story honestly. Do I take it literally? It depends. I have mixed feelings about it. If its for me to understand then God has willed it. Its also God's will if I don't. I think it is more important to see the message and symbols within the story of Noah's Ark. I believe it is entirely possible that the Israelites picked the story up in Babylon during their exile after hearing of the flood story from the Epic of Gilgamesh and then made it their own to convey some meaning in showing the works and power of God, as well as His compassion. To be honest, whether or not the event actually happened doesn't really concern me that much since I can see the beauty and meaning behind the stories. When looking at the story in the context of the Church, it makes even more sense.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »

You need to learn more about Near-Eastern literary genres and motifs, my friend.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »

If you do, please explain how a myth can worse or better than another.
And this is my question, as well.  By what criterion are you measuring better and worse?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: