OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 02:04:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of 2004 Armenian Easter  (Read 2123 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:34:12 PM »

http://www.armenianchurch.org/news/index3.php?newsid=383&selmonth=4&selyear=2004

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 05:11:53 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

I will say that compared with churches in Armenia and the Armenian ones in Georgia that I have seen, St. Vartan's struck me as pretty, um, *latinized* in the interior, while the exterior is of course rather faithful to the Armenian designs I have seen in the "old country".

Brendan

B
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:03:26 PM »

St. Vartan's struck me as pretty, um, *latinized* in the interior

I was going to mention this, well more like ask about this.

Why is the interior so latinized? What do most Armenian churches look like on the inside?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 07:34:59 PM »

Define "latinised" in this case.  I looked at the pictures last week and they didn't strike me that way.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 09:04:26 PM »

Hm....maybe its just me then....The altar seemed very latinized. Perhaps, this is Armenian tradition, but the ....oh I don't know what you call it...sorry I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to things like this, but not the altar itself, but the thing above and around the altar...lol...you know the 4 pillars...with the point roof....is very comon in Roman Catholic Cathedrals. I must have seen dozens of Cathedrals with an altar just like that when I visited Italy. Also the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC has a high altar like that (much larger though), as does Catholic Cathedral in St. Louis, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 09:07:41 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Surge
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 09:33:20 PM »

Its part of us all becoming one religion in God! A melting pot of religion. That all may be one!
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 10:18:57 PM »

A melting pot of religion
Lips Sealed

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 10:29:40 PM »

Thank you mods Smiley
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 12:42:35 AM »

Glory be to God the Scourge err I mean Surge is gone.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 09:55:24 AM »

If the Colorado cultists were as deliriously happy living only among their fellow true believers as they claim, they wouldn't be obsessing about and impersonating somebody outside their fold like me. The attention is really a back-handed compliment, especially considering I rarely post here anymore and don't post at all on their board.

Why is the interior so latinized? What do most Armenian churches look like on the inside?

Because 1) the Armenian Rite is different to the Byzantine, 2) the Armenian Rite hasn't got a tradition of iconography though they accept images, 3) contact with Roman Catholics in Jerusalem during the Crusades (the Armenian cathedral there was built as a Crusader church) and afterwards led to a lot of borrowing/crossover, such as Latin mitres for bishops.

Having a canopy/baldachino over the altar apparently is very old and is seen in more than one rite.

In my experience Armenian churches look much like traditional Roman Catholic ones only without statuary or an altar rail and with a curtain that closes around the altar. Basically it looks like an Eastern Orthodox service taking place in a Roman Catholic church.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 10:04:24 AM by Serge » Logged

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 10:29:47 AM »

"but the thing above and around the altar...lol...you know the 4 pillars...with the point roof...."

The Kiborion/Baldacchino is quite ancient and is common to Latin, Byzantine, and Armenian Churches.  It was in use in Byzantine Churches before the iconostasis became popular and many churches actually have both.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:47:12 AM »

The differences I have seen is that in the Armenian churches in Armenia and Georgia (1) there is always a substantial altar curtain and (2) the interior (pews, wall coverings, etc.) is pretty different, and (3) the use of candles and candle stations is very distinctive.  The mitres and garb and such are things that came in during the Crusades, but what I was comparing was what I have seen in Armenia, on the one hand, with what I have seen at St. Vartan's on the other, not the pictures here.

Brendan

B
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 08:13:12 PM »

I could be wrong, but I thought that the Armenian altar derived from the Syriac tradition.  It kinda looks like the altars I have seen in in Syriac and Indian Orthodox Churches.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 08:38:08 PM »

The only Armenian church that I've ever visited reminded me a lot of our Indian churches, Antonious.  And I guess that's why I was curious when some called it "latinised".  If the only reason for that was the presence of a canopy over the altar, that's not really the best reason.  Smiley

With regard to Brendan's points, I personally didn't think the pictures were adequate enough to see how the cathedral differed from other Armenian churches.  However, I recognise in his points things I've seen personally in the local Armenian parish.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: Armenian Church altar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: