OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 11:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Jurisdictional Heresies  (Read 834 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: December 13, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »

I am aware of some of the so called heresies within the MP, such as sophianism, and the Name Worshippers on Mt. Athos. What are some other modern heresies from other jurisdictions? Please include any others from Russia as well if you would like.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:30:26 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »

I am aware of some of the so called heresies within the MP, such as sophianism, and the Name Worshippers on Mt. Athos. What are some other modern heresies from other jurisdictions? Please include any others from Russia as well if you would like.

Don't know what you are talking about.  Sophianism was condemned by both the MP and the ROCOR, so how can it be a heresy "within" the ROC.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:09 PM »

You misunderstand what I am asking. I am not saying that something  condemned by the MP is not heresy to those of Antioch. I am simply asking about the various modern heresies that have started in different jurisdictions of the One Orthodox Church. Sophianism started mostly, from what I have read, in Russia.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

Phyletism. The Greek Church (Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch (then), Jerusalem, Cyprus) or the Church of Bulgaria, depending on your POV.

The Patriarchate of Moscow has had many, for the simple reason of the great numbers, the expanses where dissidents could hide in remote areas. In the other Churches, the flock is more managable size, and hence can be brought back into line more easily.  The hiearchy has done its job trying to deal with correcting them. Enforcement was only the problem, particularly during Communism.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »

You bring up some good points Isa. I was wondering why Russian seemed to have more heresies than the other jurisdictions. Any others?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »

Apostolos Makrakis and that one weird lady whose name and heresy I cannot remember in Greece.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

Sophianism was promoted in Russia by the writings of the Roman Catholic Vladimir Soloviev.

In Paris it was promoted by two or three intellectual Russian ex-pats after the Revolution, who were members of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

I very much doubt if the Ecumenical Patriarchate took any notice of what they wrote in Russian and that is why it fell to both the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Abroad to condemn it.

But we should be clear that we are not really speaking about a heresy among the faithful of the Russian Church  but of no more than a handful of Russian intellectuals, in Paris under the EP.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »

You bring up some good points Isa. I was wondering why Russian seemed to have more heresies than the other jurisdictions. Any others?

I believe that some claim that tollerism as taught by hieromonk Seraphim Rose is a heresy.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

I am not completely sure whether it is approppriate to call it heresy, but I have heard from my friends in Ukraine (including UOC-MP priests) that one horrible plague that is extremely predominant in the MP right now is the so-called "mladostarchestvo," i.e. the trend for young, sometimes very young (20 years old or so) monks in MP monasteries to declare themselves especially spiritually enlightened and to gather crowds of people whom they brainwash into considering themselves spiritual guides. This is particularly apparent in the Pochayiv (Rus. "Pochaev") Lavra in Ukraine. Every single day, busloads of pilgrims arrive to Pochayiv to meet with these "mladostartsy" nutballs. They teach the pilgrims various things, like one ought not to have an ID number, or a taxpayer's ID, because it means "joining the electronic jail of Satan," or that it is Satanic to pray in the modern vernacular Ukrainian, etc. Very sad example of savagery masquerading in Orthodox robes...

Love never fails.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:30 AM »

I am not completely sure whether it is approppriate to call it heresy, but I have heard from my friends in Ukraine (including UOC-MP priests) that one horrible plague that is extremely predominant in the MP right now is the so-called "mladostarchestvo," i.e. the trend for young, sometimes very young (20 years old or so) monks in MP monasteries to declare themselves especially spiritually enlightened and to gather crowds of people whom they brainwash into considering themselves spiritual guides. This is particularly apparent in the Pochayiv (Rus. "Pochaev") Lavra in Ukraine. Every single day, busloads of pilgrims arrive to Pochayiv to meet with these "mladostartsy" nutballs. They teach the pilgrims various things, like one ought not to have an ID number, or a taxpayer's ID, because it means "joining the electronic jail of Satan," or that it is Satanic to pray in the modern vernacular Ukrainian, etc. Very sad example of savagery masquerading in Orthodox robes...

That is sad.  Pochaev is somewhat close to me, and the cross over my IKons was given to me by a monk from that Lavra.  I am sad that things have gone this way.  May St. Job intercede for them.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »

What's being done about this? Anything? I know when the name Worshippers were on Athos they sent the Russian Navy? Should we expect a reunion sometime soon?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »

What's being done about this? Anything? I know when the name Worshippers were on Athos they sent the Russian Navy? Should we expect a reunion sometime soon?

Last year the bishops of the Russian Church at their Synodal meeting condemned this phenomenon of "young eldership."   I cannot remember though where you could find that document.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »

Apostolos Makrakis and that one weird lady whose name and heresy I cannot remember in Greece.

Anyone know more about this one?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »

This is a problem globally, I think, as well. I have seen it in America. Fr. John Krestiankin of blessed memory wrote vigorously against this as spiritual charlatanism and very dangerous for souls.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: