OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 01:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox  (Read 824 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:10 AM »

Any thoughts on this book? (search function isn't working at the moment I apologize)
http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Scripture-Readings-Commentary-Christians/dp/B000P8JCHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292475100&sr=1-1

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:26:44 AM »

I like it. It's a huge book though. But sometimes the patristic commentary isn't related at all, and the editor also has some notes from Scofield, who teaches a lot of dispensational heterodoxy. Mixed bag, but overall it's worth it, and it's so thick that it doubles as a weapon.

The whole book is available for free preview on Google Books:

Click here
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:29:39 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:46 AM »

Thanks for your comment Alveus, when you speak of dispensational heterodoxy (I apologize I am not familar with the phrase) what exactly should I be looking out for when I am reading this book?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

Thanks for your comment Alveus, when you speak of dispensational heterodoxy (I apologize I am not familar with the phrase) what exactly should I be looking out for when I am reading this book?

Basically, dispensationalism is tied in with "Rapture" theology, and God's covenant with the Jews still being valid as a different dispensation. All you need to do is ignore the Scofield quotes. I still don't understand why they are in there, especially considering that some of his teaching is heterodox. It's really odd.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: