OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fasting before pre-sanctified liturgy  (Read 1681 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »

are we supposed to fast any differently when attending a pre-sanctified liturgy?  my priest says I can have a light breakfast and a light lunch if I have too, but not after noon (pre saanctified in lent is at 5:30 pm) 

the meals I am permitted to eat, must I abstain from meat, dairy, oil, etc? 

he told me not to take fasting (except before communion) not too seriously.  just to have moderate portions of food, and not be so concerned with the contents of my meals.  this is, until I cook for myself. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »

Pre-sanctified Liturgies occur only during Great Lent so one, if he is following the rules of abstinence, should abstain from meats and dairies.  And your priest is right, fasting was not instituted to really prove ourselves to God by possibly causing ourselves serious bodily harm.  Like any other discipline, it must be eased into.  And, for many, it is not easy.  I would heed your priest's advice and eat a light breakfast and a light lunch, making sure you get what you need and then fast until the Liturgy that night.  But, remember, if your fasting is unaccompanied by any prayer during the rest of the week, your fasting will avail you nothing.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »

Your priest is absolutely right about not being rigidly legalistic. On especially sacred occasions, though, many of us will be a little stricter in our fast, if we are able.

Just because.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »

Your priest's advice is sound. Especially, since you live at home with your mom, following the rules of abstinence (from meat, dairy, etc.) strictly may not be practical. But you can always reduce your portions (stop eating when you are still hungry). And the most important kind of fasting is always available to us:

Quote from: St. John Chrysostom on fasting
For the honor of fasting consists not in abstinence from food, but in withdrawing from sinful practices, since he who limits his fasting only to abstinence from meats is one who especially disparages fasting.
---
Do you fast? Give me proof of it by your works. If you see a poor man, take pity on him. If you see an enemy, be reconciled with him. If you see a friend gaining honor, do not be jealous of him. And let not only the mouth fast, but also the eye and the ear and the feet and the hands and all members of your bodies.
---
And so I desire to fix three precepts in your mind so that you may accomplish them during the fast: to speak ill of no one, to hold no one for an enemy, and to expel from your mouth altogether the evil habit of swearing.

And some more good patristic quotes:

Quote from: St. Seraphim of Sarov
"It is not suited to everyone to follow a severe rule of abstinence from everything, or to deprive himself of everything which can serve for the easing of weakness."
---
"One should make use of food daily to the extent that the body, fortified, may be the friend and assistant of the soul in the practice of virtue. Otherwise, the soul may weaken because it is exhausted."

Quote from: Desert Fathers
Once two brothers went to visit an old man. It was not the old man's habit, however, to eat every day. When he saw the brothers, he welcomed them with joy, and said: "Fasting has its own reward, but if you eat for the sake of love, you satisfy two commandments, for you give up your own will and also fulfill the commandment to refresh others."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:48:32 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:19:06 PM »

I agree with your priest's recommendations. He sounds like a good priest.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: