OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rosary and The Orthodox  (Read 1810 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebenezer

Faith: Potential Convert
Jurisdiction: ROC

« on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »

I have read conflicting thing about the rosary and it's use within Christian Orthodoxy. Do you use it? What is it's origin? What is it's purpose? How and when is it used and why? The only religious use of prayer beads I have seen have been Roman Catholics and Muslims with their zikhr beads.

"We all make choices. But in the end, our choices make us."-Andrew Ryan.

"Shot? Or killed?"-Rooster Cogburn.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »

The Orthodox do not pray the rosary.

We have our own "beads" in the form of a prayer rope/chotki. 

The prayer used with the prayer rope is the Jesus Prayer - "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner."

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »

I have heard of some Orthodox who do use rosaries (I used one when I was in Iraq to say the Jesus Prayer before missions, but I was not Orthodox then). We Orthodox do use prayer ropes that are similar to rosaries in that they have knots to pray on and ends at a cross (usually with tassels), I use one during my daily prayers. I still have the rosary I used in Iraq hanging around my rear-view mirror in my car for sentimental reasons.

As for religious use, I think some of the Asian religions might use prayer beads... and the Muslims probably took the use of prayer beads from the Orthodox, but that is just conjecture on my part.

I should add that we do not pray the rosary, as in the prayers that Catholics pray on the rosary. The only use I believe is the Jesus Prayer (or other prayers that may be repeated a number of times, like when you have to say 100 Lord Have Mercy's... it helps keep count)

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »

I do not see anything wrong in Orthodox praying the Rosary.. It's the Our Father, Rejoice o Virgin and Glory be ....
The rosary prayer in of itself is pan-Christian. True, it is the sublime summit of mediaeval Western piety but that does not make it forbidden for Eastern Christians.
Ebenezer

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »

The prayer used with the prayer rope is the Jesus Prayer - "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner."

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between the chotki and the rosary? Both physically speaking and in terms of theological practice? Also, can one find a book with these prayers and other Orthodox Christian prayers in them? Sort of like a siddur?

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between the chotki and the rosary? Both physically speaking and in terms of theological practice? Also, can one find a book with these prayers and other Orthodox Christian prayers in them? Sort of like a siddur?

As I stated earlier they are pretty similar. Usually though, a prayer rope (or chotki) is worn around the wrist (there might be some larger one that could fit around the neck and be worn like a rosary but idk) and a pray rope is made from, well, rope (the knots are of rope, the rope is of rope, the cross is of rope, but some do have beads placed through out - I think to be used as markers for x amount of prayers/knots).

They are plenty of Orthodox Prayer Books. The Antiochian Little red Prayer Book can be found online (text format) http://www.antiochian.org/orthodox-prayers and information on other prayer books can be found at this website http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/PrayerBooks.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:31:06 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

I do not see anything wrong in Orthodox praying the Rosary.. It's the Our Father, Rejoice o Virgin and Glory be ....
The rosary prayer in of itself is pan-Christian. True, it is the sublime summit of mediaeval Western piety but that does not make it forbidden for Eastern Christians.
But then you're Roman Catholic. Of course you wouldn't have a problem with Orthodox praying the Rosary.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »

I have read conflicting thing about the rosary and it's use within Christian Orthodoxy. Do you use it? What is it's origin? What is it's purpose? How and when is it used and why? The only religious use of prayer beads I have seen have been Roman Catholics and Muslims with their zikhr beads.
I've added a tag to this thread so you can follow some of the other threads where we've discussed Orthodox use of the Rosary.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »

Well I have been stuck in traffic  hearing unpleasant external sounds from other vehicles at times & hearing the Rosary prayed on the radio can be consoling.

Antiochian OC N.A.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »

But then you're Roman Catholic. Of course you wouldn't have a problem with Orthodox praying the Rosary.
Do you have a problem with Roman Catholics singing the Akathist to the Theotokos or St.Nicholas? Or practising Hesychasism while being Roman Catholic, without thinking about becoming a Pravoslav Christian.
It does occur I must tell you.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »

As has been pointed out in the other threads, the Ave Maria is a thoroughly Orthodox (and Scriptural) prayer. The Eastern Orthodox version is usually something like this:

Theotokos Virgin, rejoice, (or: Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos) Mary full of grace, The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour of our souls.

A variant used by the Old Ritualists is

Theotokos Virgin, rejoice, (or: Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos) Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne Christ the Saviour, the Deliverer of our souls.

There is also warrant for its use in a rosary-like setting. The Prayer Rule of the Mother of God of St. Seraphim of Sarov is essentially an Orthodox Rosary. The main point of contention seems to be the RC use of imaginative meditations during the prayer.

Most Orthodox sources, from what I can tell, discourage the use of the imagination during prayer, following the Holy Fathers:

Quote from: St. Gregory the Sinaite
[Prayer] must be completely imageless and we must on no account give freedom to the imagination or allow the fancy to form an image of any saint or light; because usually delusions, especially at the beginning deceive the minds of the inexperienced with false fantasies.

Otherwise,  I cannot see what would be the problem with the Rosary.

As for the beads themselves, (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but) I don't see why you couldn't use them. They are just the Western version of a prayer rope. The word 'bead' comes from the Old English (pre-Schism) word for 'prayer'. ISTM, that with a blessing from the priest one should be able to use Western prayer beads as one would use a prayer rope.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:53:11 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Ebenezer

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »

As I stated earlier they are pretty similar. Usually though, a prayer rope (or chotki) is worn around the wrist (there might be some larger one that could fit around the neck and be worn like a rosary but idk) and a pray rope is made from, well, rope (the knots are of rope, the rope is of rope, the cross is of rope, but some do have beads placed through out - I think to be used as markers for x amount of prayers/knots).

They are plenty of Orthodox Prayer Books. The Antiochian Little red Prayer Book can be found online (text format) http://www.antiochian.org/orthodox-prayers and information on other prayer books can be found at this website http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/PrayerBooks.html

Many thanks for the info and links mate, much appreciated.

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »

Many thanks for the info and links mate, much appreciated.

Not a problem, glad to help  Wink

Check out my blog...
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:08:25 AM »

Do you have a problem with Roman Catholics singing the Akathist to the Theotokos or St.Nicholas? Or practising Hesychasism while being Roman Catholic, without thinking about becoming a Pravoslav Christian.
It does occur I must tell you.
I fail to see how I should be concerned about Catholics wanting to pray Orthodox prayers. I fail to see how that's even relevant to this thread. What we're discussing here on Faith Issues is an Orthodox perspective on a Roman Catholic prayer. How is it appropriate for you, a known Roman Catholic, to come to the Faith board and tell us that you, representing your RC point of view, see no problem with us praying the prayers of your church? Why should we care? The only thing that matters on this Faith Issues thread is what we Orthodox think about your prayers. You have the Orthodox-Catholic Discussion board where you can express your point of view.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:18:59 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

There are several Orthodox sources I've seen recording praying the Angelic Salutation many times, sometimes in addition to or instead of the Jesus Prayer. What is less common is praying the "Rosary" in the same way as Roman Catholics. Whether Byantine or Western Rite (there's a lot of variety here, ISTM), the methods differ from Roman Catholic practice. Orthodox objections to the Rosary (Roman Catholic style) that I have read center around the dangers of imagination. However, it does not seem to me that meditations on the various mysteries commemorated in the Roman Catholic Rosary are indispensable.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: rosary 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: