OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in Baraka (film)  (Read 809 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:55 AM »

Not sure this is the right subforum, but one of my favorite films shows a piece of Eastern Orthodoxy, it starts at 8:53:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrJxMMn-rw

Any idea where that last bit is? I know that Stone of the Anointing is in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, but can't pinpoint where the last one is. It's not in the same church is it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:55:47 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »

Not sure this is the right subforum, but one of my favorite films shows a piece of Eastern Orthodoxy, it starts at 8:53:

Any idea where that last bit is? I know that Stone of the Anointing is in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, but can't pinpoint where the last one is. It's not in the same church is it?
Right after the Anointing Stone, I think it is the Latins going into the Edicule (the chapel containing the Life Giing Tomb). Then there is a Copt going down into the Chapel of the Invention (Discovery) of the Cross and then a Greek going up to the altar built over the site of Golgotha.. Yes, they are all in the Church of the Resurrect.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:20:58 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »

It looks like its in the church of the Resurrection jesusalem ,Catholics have there own church next door with a door that leads into the [Holy Sepulcher] ....The Oriental Orthodox and the Greeks Orthodox have there own places of worship or Altars in the Resurrection Church or as the west calls it Church of the Holy Sepulcher....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:25 AM »

I would love to visit that Church on Holay Saturday to take witness to the Holy Fire. Appreicate the responses.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:52:31 AM »

I don't know how you can consider Baraka your favourite film, when its only message is that all religions across the world are equal and equally deep. Orthodoxy is presented side by side with New Guineans dancing around idols and Muslims at prayer, as if our religion is just one option among many.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:12:59 AM »

I don't know how you can consider Baraka your favourite film, when its only message is that all religions across the world are equal and equally deep. Orthodoxy is presented side by side with New Guineans dancing around idols and Muslims at prayer, as if our religion is just one option among many.

Baraka, the word, means "the essence of life". Baraka places humans in the context of wondrous creation showing the beauty, majesty and mystery of nature juxtaposed against its wild and destructive power. That's what I got from the film, I never viewed it as a message, or it's only message, was one where all religions were equal and as such equally deep.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »

Baraka, the word, means "the essence of life". Baraka places humans in the context of wondrous creation showing the beauty, majesty and mystery of nature juxtaposed against its wild and destructive power. That's what I got from the film, I never viewed it as a message, or it's only message, was one where all religions were equal and as such equally deep.
Baraka is Arabic for "blessing," though it can degenerate to almost animism, people touching holy persons, relics, shrines etc. for "baraka." If done in Faith, that is one thing. Done like magic, it's another: Muslims will try to get qurban/antidoron, for instance, for its baraka, having no knowledge or belief in its connection to the Eucharist and Our Lord.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »

Baraka, the word, means "the essence of life". Baraka places humans in the context of wondrous creation showing the beauty, majesty and mystery of nature juxtaposed against its wild and destructive power.

The coverage of religion in the film does not involve nature, except when heathens are worshipping it. The juxtaposition of all those different rituals in the film state pretty unequivocally IMHO that the diversity of human spirituality is a good thing and we're supposed to respect them all. I cannot accept that relativism. The cinematography in the film is fine, but its message is deeply troubling.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »

Baraka, the word, means "the essence of life". Baraka places humans in the context of wondrous creation showing the beauty, majesty and mystery of nature juxtaposed against its wild and destructive power.

The coverage of religion in the film does not involve nature, except when heathens are worshipping it. The juxtaposition of all those different rituals in the film state pretty unequivocally IMHO that the diversity of human spirituality is a good thing and we're supposed to respect them all. I cannot accept that relativism. The cinematography in the film is fine, but its message is deeply troubling.

I haven't seen the whole thing, but what I have seen would seem to fit inside this characterization. Perhaps fine for those who are not going to fall for this message, but dangerous for those who are unsuspecting.

TryingtoConvert
Elder

Faith: Disbelief in your belief
Jurisdiction: All in your mind

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

What no protestants?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:48:46 PM by TryingtoConvert » Logged
kazakage
Nasrani

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:32 AM »

Baraka is Arabic for "blessing," though it can degenerate to almost animism, people touching holy persons, relics, shrines etc. for "baraka." If done in Faith, that is one thing. Done like magic, it's another: Muslims will try to get qurban/antidoron, for instance, for its baraka, having no knowledge or belief in its connection to the Eucharist and Our Lord.

In the Syriac Orthodox liturgy, the priest blesses the bread and wine by saying "BAREK ++ VU KADES"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: