OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Typika.....  (Read 441 times) Average Rating: 0
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« on: December 13, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »

Today, my wife and I read the Typika here at home for the first time. As some may know, we are just beginning the journey into Orthodoxy, and as yet haven't been able to get to an actual service at the parish we've chosen to attend. It's approximately 3 hours from our home, but we consider it a small price to pay to come into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Orthodox Church. As Peter said, "where would we go, You have the words of Eternal life?" It went fairly well, aside from our playful 3 year old not understanding the significance of the service. But he did repeat after us in several places and was sure it was a simple thing for his mother to hold him and do the sign of the cross. Lol.

After our first one, I have a question. Is there somewhere online that provides the musical accompaniment/antiphons in a downloadable or streaming fashion? We will likely be observing the Typika several times a month, especially with the winter coming faster and faster, and we would like to include more of Tradition into our service. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome. God bless you all.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

http://www.oca.org/MDmusic.asp?SID=13

This is not perfect, but it has some of the changeable music, and if you follow some of the links through, .mp3 examples are available. The specific music for the Typika is not available here.

A fully-noted musical binder for the Typika or DL is very thick, BTW.

As for advice: don't try too hard to get the music right. That will come with time and experience; just focus on letting the prayers of the Church transform you.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:32:57 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:37:55 AM »

This site is also helpful.

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/singing.htm

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »

Today, my wife and I read the Typika here at home for the first time. As some may know, we are just beginning the journey into Orthodoxy, and as yet haven't been able to get to an actual service at the parish we've chosen to attend. It's approximately 3 hours from our home, but we consider it a small price to pay to come into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Orthodox Church. As Peter said, "where would we go, You have the words of Eternal life?" It went fairly well, aside from our playful 3 year old not understanding the significance of the service. But he did repeat after us in several places and was sure it was a simple thing for his mother to hold him and do the sign of the cross. Lol.

After our first one, I have a question. Is there somewhere online that provides the musical accompaniment/antiphons in a downloadable or streaming fashion? We will likely be observing the Typika several times a month, especially with the winter coming faster and faster, and we would like to include more of Tradition into our service. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome. God bless you all.

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

That's great to hear! It's the services of the Church that will be your anchor. Smiley

For the tones, you will want this: http://www.atlantaorthodoxchurches.org/stjohn/sounds/Tones.html. Hope that helps!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
blessedbeggar
poor wretch

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »

Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions! We are sure that as time goes by we will add to the service as many traditions as needed. Baby steps are our goal!

In Christ,
Blessed Beggar

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: