OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: photos of holy people  (Read 1864 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: April 15, 2004, 04:41:33 AM »

Could it be permissible to use photos of saints as ikons?

NULL
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 08:47:10 AM »

It would be inconsistent with Tradition and with the theology that guides the writing and veneration of icons.  Icons are written according to strict norms that guarantee they do not merely represent earthly qualities, +á la Renaissance Western art, but convey those realities divinized.  That is why they are spoken of as "windows into heaven."  Photos, obviously, cannot do that.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 11:00:39 AM »

Even the most liberal of Orthodox groups would scoff at using a photo for an Icon. An Icon is a window into the soul and there are those who won't let their picture be taken because it just captures their physical self and ignores the soul.

Joseph
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:07:56 AM »

Even the most liberal of Orthodox groups would scoff at using a photo for an Icon. An Icon is a window into the soul and there are those who won't let their picture be taken because it just captures their physical self and ignores the soul.

Is this to say that an icon does "capture the soul"? How does the iconographer know or "see" the soul of a saint? (No cynicism, genuinely curious)

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 05:57:11 PM »

The icon of St. Tikhon painted on the wall to the right of the altar area of St. Nicholas Cathedral (OCA) in Washington, D.C.  looks like a photo was used as a reference. Just an observation.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 06:52:27 AM »

My feeling is that it's probably OK to use the photo if the halo already appears in it.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 07:32:33 AM »

My feeling is that it's probably OK to use the photo if the halo already appears in it.

Grin Grin Grin
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

Could it be permissible to use photos of saints as ikons?

Personally, I think that until such time as icons are available of the particular saints you wish to venerate, photos would be fine. We have photos of Elder Porphyrios (page fell out of a not too well bound book on the elder) and Elder Paisios amongst our icons, and I'm sure a couple of people on the forum have photos of Elder Joseph the Hesychast on their icon walls. It is only recently that icons of Saint Silouan have been painted, and Orthodox have been venerating him for quite some time.

John.
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »

While a photo is not an "Icon", I don't see a problem with having a photo of a holy person, particularly if icons are not readily available (ex. the person has not been canonized by any local Church.)  I know a lot of people keep photos of the blessed heiromonks Seraphim (Rose) and Justin (of Serbia) in lieu of Icons of them.

Seraphim

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 10:04:35 AM »

My grandfather, who was an iconographer. used photos when available (usually of new martyrs) to paint icons that were ordered (he didn't copy the photo I mean, but used photos to make the saints look like themselves, unlike a lot of icons these days of modern saints that look almost nothing like what they actually looked like in their life time).  Also now a portrait he did of St. John of Shanghi still during the saint's life is being used as an icon, with a halo added.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 10:26:43 AM »

I have a photo of Hieromonk Seraphim in my Icon corner.  The priest I spoke to about it said its ok as long as an Icon cannot easily be obtained.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 10:50:25 AM »

uh oh... one word: Photoshop  Grin

RD&H

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 12:04:23 PM »

Icons are windows into heaven, photos are captured images of time and space in this world.

Icons are not artwork but created through prayer and fasting, it is sad but there are many "iconographers" who no longer keep this practice but mearly create art.

Joseph
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 12:19:52 PM »

hmm interesting.  I was told that photos rather than Icons should be used for private veneration leading up to Glorification--as it is inapropriate to write an Icon of a non-saint.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: