Author Topic: Holy Resurrection in Clinton, MS  (Read 712 times)

Offline sainthieu

• Abstractor of the Quintessence
  • High Elder
Holy Resurrection in Clinton, MS
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Hey, folks!

Any feedback on their experience with this church? I've managed to interest my aunt and uncle in Orthodoxy and they live just down the road from it. As they come from a Baptist background, it's a little alien to them, and they're a shy about going in by themselves. They were both devout all their lives, but became disaffected by the lack of Christian love. I sent them the Orthodox Study Bible and it has made an impression. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
Re: Holy Resurrection in Clinton, MS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »
I visited Holy Resurrection about three weeks ago. It was my first time attending a DL and the people there are wonderful. It was a blessing to meet Fr. Paul and I had a lot of help from him and the parishioners in answering many of my questions. The entire service is in English by the way.
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
I have never been to Holy Resurrection itself, but Fr. Paul filled in for a while at the mission I was attending at the time. He is wonderful.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
Here is the blog for the assisting priest at Holy Resurrection. He was the first Orthodox priest to answer my emails and other inquiries, and was helpful in the brief time I knew him. He's married and has 5 children.

http://priestmatthewjackson.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:30:33 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
There's also a Greek church (Holy Trinity) in Jackson and an Antiochian parish (St. Peter) in Madison, both of which are only a short drive away. Vicksburg is a little further, but there's also an Antiochian parish (St. George) there. That area of Mississippi is unique for Orthodoxy in this part of the south -- you don't have that many options in the greater New Orleans area, even if you count the Copts down there.

If your aunt and uncle like taking long drives, there's a lovely OCA parish (Christ-the-Saviour) in McComb.