OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who is your patron saint?  (Read 16363 times) Average Rating: 0
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »

My patron is Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, Apostle of Northumbria. One quiet night under the starry sky of the Scottish borders, I was out praying and his name came to me. I feel an affinity with him because through gentle means he converted my countrymen to Christ. As for the majority of my friends and family today, I'm the first orthodox christian they have ever known. I'm just a beginner, really, and need a good guide to keep me in the faith, and to share this with the world around me. With Aidan's help, I pray I can carry this responsibility with patience, love, faith and kindness.
wow, I was just wondering who Christianized Scotland.  there is a tradition in my parish of celebrating a Slava with the cultural patron saint of your family.  Serbs have St. Sava, Irish have St. Patrick.  my family is Scottish (among other things, Scottish surname) and we want the saint who made Scotland Orthodox. 

Trevor, the main apostle for Scotland is St. Columba of Iona. Aidan was sent from Iona to establish a Christian community in Northern England. His mission doesn't really cover Scotland, except perhaps the very southern border. Look to Iona Abbey.

You could choose one according to where in Scotland your ancestors hail from. If it’s the west coast or the islands then certainly St Columba or any of the monks of Iona. If Aberdeenshire then St Drostan. If Fife perhaps St Serf. If the south-west then St Ninian. If the Borders or any of that nebulous area between Berwick and Edinburgh (I love to annoy the locals by telling them we are part of the Kingdom of Northumbria) then St Cuthbert or St Dunstan. If Glasgow then St Kentigern. There women saints too - St Modwenna who founded nunneries on the great volcanic rocks that now support Edinburgh and Stirling castles. The Nine Daughters of St Donald. St Kentigerna (mother of St Finnan) associated with Loch Lomond. St Triduana or Tradwell whose holy well in Edinburgh was famous for healing the eyes (the remains of the shrine are still there). St Thenu, the mother of St Kentigern. Sts Fyndana and Fyndoca, Martyrs. Kinnera of Kirk-Kinner in Galloway. St Bey and St Maura, disciples of St Aidan, a solitary and an abbess. And St Kennotha of Kyle and St Kennocha of Fife.

Best wishes,
Sr Margaret
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »

/\  Nice idea, Sister Margaret.

Here is an index of places in the British Isles associated with different Saints

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-archive/message/2934
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

I'm looking for one!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »

I'm looking for one!

Pray.

There are a number of saints who are a "James" or "Jacob". You could also find commemorations on your birthday or anything else that may have significance for you. Ask God for guidance and seek the intercessions of different saints. It may take some time to hear the answer, but it will be there if you keep looking and listening.

That's what I did, and I thank God for what I was shown. I hope this helps you.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »

I just stick with my namesake, Saint Christopher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Christopher

My first real connection with a saint was Saint Seraphim, but when I learned of Christopher I really connected with him. My mother said she named me Christopher because she knew it means 'bearer of Christ' and that she wanted me to keep close to God my whole life. I connect with the story of Christopher feeling weighed down in the middle of the river but having to stick it out to find out he bore that suffering for Christ. Also before his martyrdom he was tempted by lusty women and I struggle with that sin in particular so I ask for his intercession on the subject quite often.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

Some of us have no choice in the matter.   laugh

Monks and nuns are given no choice and will hear their new name for the first time during the rite of tonsuring.  It is chosen by their spiritual father/mother or by the abbess or abbot and is not divulged before the ceremony.

As your brother monks and sister nuns come up and congratulate you after the service it is a little game to ask the new person his name.  Many times the poor monk or nun is quite unable to remember the new name.   Smiley

I also remember when I baptized the person who is Aidan Hart the iconographer.  His Greek godfather exercised his right to name him at Baptism and he conferred the name of Saint Athanasios on him.   It was only later when Athanasios became a monk that his name was changed again to Aidan.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »

My personal patron is St. Veniamin of Petrograd

I chose him due to my Russian heritage and the fact that Veniamin is simply the Russian form of my given name, Benjamin.

My professional patron, however, is St. Barbara the Great-Martyr, as she is the traditional protectress of artillerymen.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

St. John the Apostle:

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »

St. Nicholas of Japan.

http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?FSID=100419

I love Japan, Japanese culture, Japanese history, etc. (although I quite dislike Japanese comics and animation). I visited the country and fell in love, much as St. Nicholas did. I feel the draw between cultures quite strongly, as he did, so it felt like a natural choice.

Additionally, while researching saints to find a patron I could find only one who shared a name with me in the East (there are a few post-schism Catholic saints), and all that is known about him is his death in a saracean raid. I didn't feel I would be able to connect with his life, not knowing anything about it, so I looked further.
maryofegypt

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »

St. Mary of Egypt.  She has always been an encouragement to me in many ways, the most important being if she could become holy, ANYONE can become holy (considering her early life).  God can truly transform. 
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »

The Theotokos.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »

I'm looking for one!

Same here.  This process, along with selecting Icons to purchase, has cleared up any ambiguity about having neurotic tendencies.  Grin

I'm praying on it.  I've been recommended two different patrons, but I believe the latter was more of a default option, rather than one I have any noticeable connection with.  Hopefully my patron saint will reveal himself to me in the near future, and I can post again in this forum with a better response.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

Well since I am not orthodox yet, I will give you my country´s patron saint.
Our father among the saints, St Ansgar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Apostle of the North and enlightener of Denmark and Sweden.
You can read about him on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansgar

P.S. I am sorry but I could not figure out how to upload an image of him.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »

Tomorrow, April 8, is the commemoration of my Patron Saint: St. Gebre Menfes Kidus!

Here are some icons and little bit about his life (click on the pictures and you can read the captions below):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1456515775&aid=108984#!/

May his prayers be with us!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »

Our father among the saints, St Ansgar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Apostle of the North and enlightener of Denmark and Sweden.

Good enough?

To use the tags to embed an image:

Code:
[img]imgageURL[/img]

In this case:

Code:
[img]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7206/scsansgar.jpg[/img]

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 01:59:28 AM »

Trevor, the main apostle for Scotland is St. Columba of Iona. Aidan was sent from Iona to establish a Christian community in Northern England. His mission doesn't really cover Scotland, except perhaps the very southern border. Look to Iona Abbey.

Saint Ninian, however, was the first apostle to the Scots.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »

Thank you orthonorm Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 02:21:42 AM »

Thank you orthonorm Smiley

My Danish is bad, can only read it and understand it spoken after a while, if I listen hard.

In any case, det var så lidt.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »

When I was baptized into the Eastern Orthodox Church I took Saint Cyril of Alexandria as my patron Saint.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:13:21 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »

When I was baptized into the Eastern Orthodox Church I took Saint Cyril of Alexandria as my patron Saint.

Very appropriate! Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:55 AM »

Your danish is good Smiley
I know this is a litle out of topic but I am still new on this forum and there is one thing that I can´t seem to figure out.

My problem is that when I want to reply on a comment I cannot figure out how to place the comment in those boxes( sorry for the bad choice of words, my english is not too good ) Smiley

I am hoping that I could get some help Cheesy I am pretty lost.

-St Silouan the athonite
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »

I know this is a litle out of topic but I am still new on this forum and there is one thing that I can´t seem to figure out.

My problem is that when I want to reply on a comment I cannot figure out how to place the comment in those boxes( sorry for the bad choice of words, my english is not too good ) Smiley

When you are viewing a post, do you see the button in the top right corner which says "Quote"?

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2011, 04:12:40 AM »

Thank you  Smiley

Good enough?

To use the tags to embed an image:

Code:
[img]imgageURL[/img]

In this case:

Code:
[img]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7206/scsansgar.jpg[/img]

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:37 AM »

When you are viewing a post, do you see the button in the top right corner which says "Quote"?
[/qu

Thank you. I had not seen that Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »

I think I am doing something wrong. I keep writing iside them Huh

-St Silouan the athonite
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:52 AM »

Yeah. It would appear that you found the quote button because you got the boxes up. I looked at your post and noted that one of the quote tags got partially erased. When you quote a post and respond to it, you have to make sure that what you type comes completely before or completely after the quoted text.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »

Yeah. It would appear that you found the quote button because you got the boxes up. I looked at your post and noted that one of the quote tags got partially erased. When you quote a post and respond to it, you have to make sure that what you type comes completely before or completely after the quoted text.
Okay thank you. Now I might be able to get a little more involved in here Cheesy

-St Silouan the athonite
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 04:51:05 AM »

Okay thank you. Now I might be able to get a little more involved in here Cheesy

Awesome!  Wink

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

I chose the Old Testament prophet Zechariah son of Berechiah. My middle name is Zechariah.

Commemorated on February 8

The Prophet Zechariah (Zakhariah) the Sickle-Seer from amongst the 12 Minor Prophets was descended from the Levite tribe, called in the Book of Nehemiah-Ezra the chief priestly lineage. He was called to prophetic service at a young age and became, in the wondrous expression of churchly song, "a spectator of supra-worldly visions". In particular within the Book of the Prophet Zechariah there is contained inspired details about the coming of the Messiah (6: 12); about the last days of the earthly life of the Saviour, and about the Entry of the Lord into Jerusalem on a young donkey (9: 9); about the betrayal of the Lord for 30 pieces of silver and the purchase with them of the potter's field (11: 12-13); about the piercing of the side of the Saviour (12: 10); about the scattering of the apostles from the Garden of Gethsemane (13: 7); about the sun's eclipse at the time of the sufferings on the Cross of the Saviour (14: 6-7). "Enlightened by dawnings all above", the Prophet Zechariah "saw the future as the presently existing". According to tradition, this "most true God-proclaimer" lived to old age and was buried not far from Jerusalem, alongside his illustrious contemporary and companion the Prophet Haggai. The title "Sickle-Seer" given Zechariah is connected to one of the revelations to him, in which he saw a scroll flying in the air, curved to the likeness of a menacing sickle (5: 1-2).

© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Matthew 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:03:19 PM by zekarja » Logged

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2011, 03:49:17 AM »

St. John of the Ladder

By a flood of tears you made the desert fertile
And by your longing for God you brought forth fruits in abundance.
By the radiance of miracles you illuminated the whole universe.
O our holy Father John Climacus, pray to Christ our God to save our souls.

Information available about his life is limited, but here is the Orthodox Wiki article : http://orthodoxwiki.org/John_Climacus
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:52:56 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2011, 04:56:35 AM »

I don't know who my patron is because my parents chose "John" and they wouldn't know the Forerunner from the Theologian.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »

I was born on May 1, and Marie is a traditional name in my mother's family, so I was named Donna Marie, "Lady Mary."

When I was confirmed in the RCC, I picked St. Joan of Arc.

When I am able to complete my conversion to Orthodoxy, I suppose I will have to pick a different saint. I have been thinking about different ones. When the time is right, I hope it'll be made clear.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »

You could just go back to "Marie".

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »

Thank you, I may do that.  Smiley

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

He's not my patron saint but I recently read about Saint Mama's life in the Great Lives of the Saints (Chrysostom Press) and was very convicted. This young man's piety, strength, and love for God is inspiring and edifying. I suggest  to anyone who hasn't read his life to do so. I was in tears by the end of his account.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:45:54 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »

He's not my patron saint but I recently read about Saint Mama's life in the Great Lives of the Saints (Chrysostom Press) and was very convicted. This young man's piety, strength, and love for God is inspiring and edifying. I suggest  to anyone who hasn't read his life to do so. I was in tears by the end of his account.

I also love the life of Mamas. I was actually considering him as my patron saint (my birthday is his feast day) but I guess I thought the name would sound too silly  Wink

Some other favorite lives of mine, in that same volume of the Great Collection, are St. Eustathius and St. John of Novgorod.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »

Wow, riding a lion!  angel Grin

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »

I also love the life of Mamas. I was actually considering him as my patron saint (my birthday is his feast day) but I guess I thought the name would sound too silly  Wink

Some other favorite lives of mine, in that same volume of the Great Collection, are St. Eustathius and St. John of Novgorod.

I'd imagine considering not only its meaning to us but the original meaning, breast.  laugh
I've only been through the first four or five days (St. John of Novgorod, or maybe Moses, was who I finished last) and I can't believe the impact those few days have had already! Plus outside of edification some of them are just awesome stories too. St. Symeon the Stylite was another great one.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:13 AM »

Here is St. Aba Samuel, a great Saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. He rode a lion too!

Selam

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:19 AM »

saint matthias, coz i joined the orthodox church on his feast day.
i didn't know it at the time, i already had a connection with him and was using his picture to post on another forum,
then i realised here i had a special connection with his feast day.
i hope it's ok for a woman to have a male top saint!

for pic - see my avatar!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

My Patron Saint is St. Joseph since he is who I am named for (and also for my great-grandfather  Wink).  My birthday is also the birthday of the Theotokos, but since being named Mary would be inappropriate I guess St. Joseph is pretty appropriate as well!

Since I don't think one Patron Saint is enough, I have a few more.  St. John of Shanghai was the patron saint of my parent's house and I have kind of carried him with me as I have moved around.  I have also felt a particular closeness to St.s George and Nicholas, both of which are appropriate as well since I now go to St. Nicholas Church and the Church down in Kansas City that our Church ic close to is named St. George! 

My avatar is St. Olaf, King of Norway.  He is my friend's Patron Saint, but is another one I have liked for a while.  I have always like the Ikons of the Soldier Saints and this guy has an axe!  Traditionally it was an axe that killed St. Olaf at the Battle of Stiklestad.  He was one of the last Saints to be venerated by both the East and the West before the Schism.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »

*pokes the thread, then administers CPR*

St Brigid of Ireland and, secondarily, St Benedict of Nursia.

They both sort of adopted me when I moved to the UK from Greece and no longer had behind me the spiritual support network I was used to. St Brigid connected early, through my capacity as a writer, and St Benedict after certain reading and viewing on the retreats at Worth Abbey.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »

When I officially become an Orthodox Christian someday (sooner rather than later, hopefully!), I want St. Moses to be my Patron. I pray to him quite a lot. Like many mentioned in this thread, I believe he chose me.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:51:40 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

When I officially become an Orthodox Christian someday (sooner rather than later, hopefully!), I want St. Moses to be my Patron. I pray to him quite a lot. Like many mentioned in this thread, I believe he chose me.

Name brothers!

I have the icon you posted above, but I think I am going to eventually mount this one:

It illustrates exactly the kind of repentance/humility I hope to one day manifest and currently fail to approach every day.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

Name brothers!

I have the icon you posted above, but I think I am going to eventually mount this one:

It illustrates exactly the kind of repentance/humility I hope to one day manifest and currently fail to approach every day.

I like that one! Smiley

His story is so inspiring, and it reminds me not to fall into despair when I sin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:21:00 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Tags: saints 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: