OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 09:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who is your patron saint?  (Read 15922 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: December 12, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »

I thought this would be interesting.  please post a picture and a link to a life story of your patron saint, and (if applicable) why you picked him/her.  I'll start...

http://english.ruvr.ru/radio_broadcast/2249099/26195226/

I chose St. Tikhon as my patron saint because his story stands out to me more than any other.  he is a role model for me, and I feel lucky for him to be praying for me.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:51:15 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

St. Andrew the Apostle

His life:
http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=103450

He was who my parents gave me!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:54:56 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »

СВЕТИ АЛЕКЗАНДАР НЕВСКИ......My Patron Saint [КРСНА СЛАВА]
                                       left to My Brother and i After our Fathers Death....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:11:10 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

My patron saint is St. Xenia of St. Petersburg.
My husband's is St. Romanus the Melodist.
My eldest daughter's is St Paraskeve.
My second eldest daughter's is St. Anna.
My son's is St. Seraphim of Sarov.
Our youngest daughter's is St. Kassiane.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

I didn't get one. My name is Steve, so I had spoken to the priest about taking the first martyr Stephen as my patron saint. On the morning of my Baptism, my godfather and priest informed me that I would be named Stavros instead, which is The Cross in Greek and a more natural Hellenization of Steve. So I said sure! Ironically, although I'm not Greek, my friends from home had all been calling me Stavros for years (kind of a nickname).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:15:10 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

St. John, the Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist!

Have had a love for him since I was a little child.  :-)

Here is a little bit about him: http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsLife.asp?FSID=100109

[Don't know how to post a picture.]

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »

St John the Wonderworker of Shanghai and St Francisco.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »

St. John, the Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist!

Have had a love for him since I was a little child.  :-)

Here is a little bit about him: http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsLife.asp?FSID=100109

[Don't know how to post a picture.]

Here's one for you...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:28:10 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

^^ Thank you, Stashko!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »

St. John the Damascene

About him: http://orthodoxwiki.org/John_of_Damascus

Why did I choose him?  Like with Christ, I don't think I chose him; he chose me.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »

Saint David, King of Israel

What Orthodoxwiki has to say about him
http://orthodoxwiki.org/David

I chose St. David for two reasons; 1) out of simplicity since my first name is David, and 2) I want it to be said of me that I am also a man after God's own heart.

I believe that I share some of his attributes, such as writing poetry (though none as can compare to the Psalms) and being a soldier. Of course there are those certain attributes of his that I do not wish...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »

Saint Kevin of Glendalough, Wonder-worker of Ireland.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_of_Glendalough     http://orthodoxwiki.org/Kevin_of_Glendalough

My name is Keith and our priest would often mistakenly (at least I think it was mistakenly) call me Kevin, so I naturally started there.  Upon investigating the name Kevin I found that there are a number of similarities (I use that word loosely) between my life and the life of St. Kevin.  When he was a young child he had a bad temper.  So did I.  Horrible temper in fact.  After St. Kevin was sent to the monastery he spent all of lent tending to blackbirds that build a nest in his hands.  I had a pet crow.  One of his miracles occurred while he was cooking.  I use to be chef.  Another of his miracles involved him commanding willow trees to produce apples.  My father is an apple grower and I grew up in an orchard.  After sharing this with my priest he said, "It sounds to me like you might understand each other."  I think it would have been insulting NOT to take him as my patron.

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »

This is icon I use of my patron saint, the Apostle James, Brother of our Lord. My wife is not Orthodox, and while not against simple imagery, does oppose veneration of icons and of "dead people". However, given the general theme of this one, I can get away with this icon especially at this time of year!

When I learned that my name would continue to be James in the Church, my priest told me that the usual patron saint for those named James is the Brother of our Lord. However, I don't like to do things just by default  Smiley. I researched several saints, but none seemed quite right. So I finally decided to pray about it. (Strange how that lesson seems so hard to learn, right?) In giving me the name James, my priest told me that it was to continue my family connections. What better connection with our Lord than with a member of His family. The "family theme" was quite right.
Margaret S.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »

My patron saint was chosen by the priest who received me.

St Margaret Zakachurina, Russian Orthodox Nun and Martyr in a concentration camp, 1937. Next year I hope to have enough money to commission an icon of her.

regards
Margaret
in Edinburgh
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »

I've actually got two, since I had the honour to be baptized with two names. You can see them at my avatar. Smiley
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »

St Margaret Zakachurina, Russian Orthodox Nun and Martyr in a concentration camp, 1937. Next year I hope to have enough money to commission an icon of her.

regards
Margaret
in Edinburgh
how much is it to commission an icon?  although I love the print from skete.com my godfather gave me, I'd like to get a hand-painted icon of my patron saint someday.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »

St. Michael the Archangel

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Archangel_Michael

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »

That is my brother's Saint, also... he probably wont post on this thread as he seems to favor the more theological threads to anything else.  Roll Eyes ... Love ya, bro!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »

That is my brother's Saint, also... he probably wont post on this thread as he seems to favor the more theological threads to anything else.  Roll Eyes ... Love ya, bro!
I'm curious:who's bro?

To answer the OP:St. John of Damscus, of course. I like the theological threads too. And I converted stuying while studying Islam at college (no relation), of which St. John is the Father, having been there at the formative period of Islam.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:18:56 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Margaret S.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »

regards
Margaret
in Edinburgh
how much is it to commission an icon?  although I love the print from skete.com my godfather gave me, I'd like to get a hand-painted icon of my patron saint someday.

This is the icon I asked Matthew Garrett to paint for me earlier this year. It's of St Luke of Simferopol, to whom I have a great devotion as I believe he got me through cancer (well, he got me the best surgeon in the unit - medical referrals obviously work from heaven!) and it's 6.5 x 8.5" and cost $250. I am very happy with it.

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »

I think I might go with St. Lazarus. Being that he was the first among the resurrected (at least I think this is the case?), and was also a close friend of Jesus. Plus, I like the name, very unique.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:38:27 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ebenezer

Faith: Potential Convert
Jurisdiction: ROC

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »

St. Brendan of Clonfert, patron saint of sailors and divers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan

"We all make choices. But in the end, our choices make us."-Andrew Ryan.

"Shot? Or killed?"-Rooster Cogburn.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »

St Patrick

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Theodosius

Faith: Greek Orthodox Church

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »

My  patron saint is Saint Constantine the Great and I will adopt him as my patron Saint as soon as I join the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church  My reasons are simple as I was scanning through Constantine's personal history I came across the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church and because of my search through the annals of history  I feel one step closer from leaving my schismatic religion and entering into Christ's Holy Church.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »

Here's mine:

Though I did not choose him but he was just given to me probably based on that it sounds similar to my civilian name. My civilian name is probably Western in origin and might be derived from St. John the Baptist but Finnish church seems to have a custom to pick patrons not based on etymology but by how they sound. Anyway, I'm rather fond of St. Januarius. There's a short life of his in OCA's webpage. His feast is on 21st of April.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:16:03 AM by Alpo » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »

My patron saints:

St. Bede the Venerable, Confessor and Doctor of the Holy Catholic Church

A great historian, he naturally appealed to me. His expression of both a great intellect as well as a strong English Benedictine spirituality were also major factors.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=574

St. Benedict of Nursia

the Father of Europe.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=26
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 02:52:39 AM »

Venerable Matthew, Clairvoyant of the Kiev Caves
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 03:42:37 AM »

Long ago I chose St. Gabriel the Archangel.  I've always loved the Annunciation story in the Gospels and so I chose him (or did he choose me?).  And though this had nothing to do with my decision, I like the different ways his name is pronounced (Gabirel, Gavril, Jibra'il...)  I do confess though that I sometimes wish I'd chosen a human saint as they've actually gone through the trials and tribulations that we humans go through.  Though I will always ask St. Gabriel the Archangel to intercede on my behalf, I can now also say that I've grown rather fond of St. Gabriel of Georgia.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:24 AM »

My patron Saint is St. Gebre Menfes Qidus. I was not asked to pick a patron Saint, nor was I told who my patron Saint was. But since I was given the baptismal name "Gebre Menfes Kidus," I have always known him to be the patron Saint of our family. I pray to him every day, and I feel his intercession and protection.

You can read his life here, beginning at about the fourth paragraph down:
http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/Synaxarium/Megabit_30.htm
Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 02:03:23 AM »

St. Moses Murin/the Black/the Ethiopian is my chosen patron.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Thomist

Jurisdiction: Latin Rite: Archdiocese of Baltimore

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 01:15:30 AM »

If I had to pick a single one, Saint Thomas Aquinas. But I tend to think of Aquinas, Saint John the Evangelist, and Our Lady as my three patron saints.

Our Lady because she is the mother of all the Church.

Saint John the Evangelist because the Gospel of Saint John is the most philosophical, and I am a philosophy student. Also my school is named after him.

Saint Thomas Aquinas because Thomism is my philosophy of choice, and because I feel I was delivered from the errors of Kantianism through his intercession.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:19:08 AM by Thomist » Logged

"Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?" - Saint Cyprian of Carthage
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »

So RCC doesn't have any problem with picking Mother of God as Patron? Interesting. In Finnish EO church that is considered as inapproprioate. Same goes for MP whereas Greeks doesn't have any problem with it.

Quote from: Lubeltri
St. Benedict of Nursia

the Father of Europe.

Why do you consider him as the Father of Europe?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »

St. Joseph the Hymnographer. When I was looking for a patron saint, I wanted some kind of poet-saint. I found out about St. Joseph for the first time on his feast day, and it wasn't because I looked up the saints for the day- I just happened to come across a reference to him somewhere. It seemed providential that I learned about him this way, so I chose him. He's the author of many important Church hymns which are scattered all over our service books, including the canon to the Akathist hymn and many other canons. He's also the first to refer to the Theotokos as "life-giving spring" which introduced an important iconographic motif. He was also a defender of the icons who suffered imprisonment for it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Thomist

Jurisdiction: Latin Rite: Archdiocese of Baltimore

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 12:18:06 AM »

So RCC doesn't have any problem with picking Mother of God as Patron? Interesting. In Finnish EO church that is considered as inapproprioate. Same goes for MP whereas Greeks doesn't have any problem with it.

Quote from: Lubeltri
St. Benedict of Nursia

the Father of Europe.

Why do you consider him as the Father of Europe?

I'm not sure whether the RCC has a problem with that or not. Thomas Aquinas is my 'official' patron saint. Those are just the three I feel I have a special relationship with.

Benedict is considered the father of Europe because it was the Benedictine Monks who preserved learning in western Europe during the Dark Ages.

"Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?" - Saint Cyprian of Carthage
Trevorthodox

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »

My patron is Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, Apostle of Northumbria. One quiet night under the starry sky of the Scottish borders, I was out praying and his name came to me. I feel an affinity with him because through gentle means he converted my countrymen to Christ. As for the majority of my friends and family today, I'm the first orthodox christian they have ever known. I'm just a beginner, really, and need a good guide to keep me in the faith, and to share this with the world around me. With Aidan's help, I pray I can carry this responsibility with patience, love, faith and kindness.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »

My patron is Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, Apostle of Northumbria. One quiet night under the starry sky of the Scottish borders, I was out praying and his name came to me. I feel an affinity with him because through gentle means he converted my countrymen to Christ. As for the majority of my friends and family today, I'm the first orthodox christian they have ever known. I'm just a beginner, really, and need a good guide to keep me in the faith, and to share this with the world around me. With Aidan's help, I pray I can carry this responsibility with patience, love, faith and kindness.
wow, I was just wondering who Christianized Scotland.  there is a tradition in my parish of celebrating a Slava with the cultural patron saint of your family.  Serbs have St. Sava, Irish have St. Patrick.  my family is Scottish (among other things, Scottish surname) and we want the saint who made Scotland Orthodox. 

Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »

He is my patron also.  It was an interesting story of how that happened with me:  I had just gotten a thick packet of divorce papers and felt a strong anxiety come over me to the absolute size of it.  Then for no real reason at all, like right out of nowhere, the Archangel Michael came to mind and about 15 minutes later, I was much calmer.  After that, he was showing up in both direct and indirect ways (his miracle of the averted river forgot where was not far off).  My now-sponsor gave me an icon of him (which was my 1st) and said to have Father bless it (which he did).  When I started my catechumenate Nov. '09,  Father said I needed to choose a patron.  So, I decided to pray on it for a couple of nights, and the eventual sense (a strong one) I got was 'You better not as much as THINK about choosing anyone else!'  I was like 'whoa okay--who am I to argue with the Commander of God's infinite Army!?'  The rest is history!

-----

But I,too, feel that I have a 2nd patron saint, an earthly, human one who popped into my life not long after.

The New Confessor St. John (Ivan) the Russian

I can't even -begin- to tell this story (well b/c it's long for one thing, the other is that he has had such a beautiful and powerful effect on my life, and the love I feel for him as a result just defies description.  His life story is amazing, and there are many stories (and even a book written by the priest of the church where his relics are kept) of many miracles attributed to him and his intercession.  When I first told my priest about this, it started off as a question if Michael would have had a problem with me becoming close to St. John (because I was feeling a bit bad about it), and he grinned and said 'Angels don't get jealous'.  He went on to say that perhaps it was Michael giving me a message of needing a saint with earthly experience, and apparently he was it.  Sometimes I shake thinking of how much I love him (as well as Michael).  It is truly amazing and beautiful how Christ works through His saints!

This icon of him is my most favorite, but I have another I'd like to post (it's large!).  I -believe- it is one that is in his church of his relics in Euboea, Greece.

And his life:

http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/Josef2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_Russian

( P.S. -- I apologize for the long post! )

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

St. Justin Popovich (d. 1979)

Life Of Our Father Justin Archimandrite of Chelije

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »

St. Seraphim of Sarov

The first Orthodox Saint I encountered on my journey to the Church.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

It was going to be Martin of Tours.

On the Life of Saint Martin

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

That is my brother's Saint, also... he probably wont post on this thread as he seems to favor the more theological threads to anything else.  Roll Eyes ... Love ya, bro!
I'm curious:who's bro?

To answer the OP:St. John of Damscus, of course. I like the theological threads too. And I converted stuying while studying Islam at college (no relation), of which St. John is the Father, having been there at the formative period of Islam.

Wow, this thread has been dead for a while.

"Bro" would be me, Isa, and of course the Archangel Michael would be my patron saint.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

Saint Nektarios and more recently Saint Fanourios.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »

Saint Basil, "Archbishop of Caesaria at Cappadocia, and Great Hierarch"

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:16 AM »

God willing,

If I am received into the Church. It's my name. My mother gave it to me out of very convoluted reasons and for even more convoluted reasons, I ain't giving up the name my mother gave me, especially since I am named after an Apostle after all.

As far as similarities, well maybe:

His [Jason's] house is used as a refuge by Paul, Silas, and Timothy in Thessalonica. Jason was arrested when the authorities could locate neither Paul nor Silas, and was made to post bail. He was not reimbursed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_of_Tarsus

I've been stiffed by some young upstarts fleeing from the law in my time as well.

There are appear to two divergent traditions how St. Jason met his demise. The Orthodox tradition, I hope is something closer to how I check out.

The downshot is that good old St. Jason usually has to share his time in the limelight with another:

St. Sosipater, indeed.

But in all seriousness, since I've always held friendship as a rather high virtue no matter the circumstances in my life, often for convoluted reasons above family and the like, it's nice to see St. Jason have company and know that at least in the Orthodox tradition he lived to old age with that life long friend in service to the Lord.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:18:46 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Trevorthodox

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »

wow, I was just wondering who Christianized Scotland.  there is a tradition in my parish of celebrating a Slava with the cultural patron saint of your family.  Serbs have St. Sava, Irish have St. Patrick.  my family is Scottish (among other things, Scottish surname) and we want the saint who made Scotland Orthodox. 

Trevor, the main apostle for Scotland is St. Columba of Iona. Aidan was sent from Iona to establish a Christian community in Northern England. His mission doesn't really cover Scotland, except perhaps the very southern border. Look to Iona Abbey.
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: