OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meal Traditions for St John the Forerunner Feasts  (Read 1744 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 29, 2004, 04:11:44 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I have heard that diferent traditions hold varying meal traditions in assosciation with St John the Forerunner Feastdays.

I am aware that in the Middle East locusts cooked in butter or oil  and dishes with honey are served.  Do you know of any other traditions surround these meals, how they are served, and what they are eaten with?

Your brother in Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 04:23:40 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:34:04 PM »

Indeed, He is risen!

Nothing eaten from a plate/platter, nothing eaten in the shape of a head (apples, cabbage, etc), recently I also heard no cutting with a knife.

These are some customs kept by Carpatho-Russians on the feast of his beheading.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 05:31:44 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

On my birthday, August 29, it is a strict fast with no cooked food, no wine and no oil. Basically we eat fruit, salad and nuts. The Greek church takes my birthday very seriously Cheesy.

The Greek church also understands "+¦+¦-ü+»+¦+¦-é" to mean "young shoots". It also means "locusts" but we understang the Gospels to be using the former meaning and not the latter Smiley.

<edit> For those who don't understand, "+¦+¦-ü+»+¦+¦-é" are one of the foods eaten by John the Forerunner.

John.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 05:37:09 AM by prodromos » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 08:42:53 AM »

I wonder if cicadas would count as "locusts"?  We're supposed to have them up to the eyeballs within the next few weeks, so if they do, does anyone want me to freeze some and send them to you? <grin>  

The Post actually had an article about people looking forward to cooking and eating the 17-year cicadas recently.  One man froze in 1987 and had a few left... I wonder if insects get freezer-burn.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 08:48:55 AM »

The Greek church also understands "+¦+¦-ü+»+¦+¦-é" to mean "young shoots". It also means "locusts" but we understang the Gospels to be using the former meaning and not the latter .

That is a relief!!!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: