OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On becoming a Christian Monk  (Read 3424 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 10, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »

What is the exact process one must go through in order to serve at a monastery?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »

Speaking as a monk, I can say that there is no exact process.  Monks and nuns come to the monastic life through an amazing variety of ways.

Firstly, since we live in an information age, start reading up on the monastic life, both theoretically and in the lives of monks and nuns.

Secondly, spend time at an monastery.  The process and the possible vocation will unfold and start to clarify with such a visit/s.

In my day and age we were always recommended to read Ignaty Brianchaninov's "The Arena."   It is good both for an enquirer, to get a grasp of monastic principles, and it remains a very good book to consult after you have become a monk.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:51:04 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:07:37 AM »

Speaking as a monk, I can say that there is no exact process.  Monks and nuns come to the monastic life through an amazing variety of ways.

Firstly, since we live in an information age, start reading up on the monastic life, both theoretically and in the lives of monks and nuns.

Secondly, spend time at an monastery.  The process and the possible vocation will unfold and start to clarify with such a visit/s.

In my day and age we were always recommended to read Ignaty Brianchaninov's "The Arena."   It is good both for an enquirer, to get a grasp of monastic principles, and it remains a very good book to consult after you have become a monk.

Should almost be required reading for any Christian.  "The Arena" is one of my favorite books.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 01:22:44 AM »

Each journey is unique; however, I've seen lots of advice suggesting that one be a member of the Orthodox church for at least 3 years before pursuing ministries that require greater spiritual rigor.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »

A friend of mine who converted a day before me is now at a monastery in West Virginia.
http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/ (Hermitage of the Holy Cross monastery (ROCOR))

Our parish helped him, but I remember that one of the things the monastery wanted was for him to pay off his debts first.

I know a number of Nuns, but I never asked them how they became one. However, I did ask a monk how he became one as well as the process of being one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHkQbC2hl5s (Some thoughts by Fr. Monk Cosmas Shartz)

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:43:04 AM »

A friend of mine who converted a day before me is now at a monastery in West Virginia.
http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/ (Hermitage of the Holy Cross monastery (ROCOR))

Our parish helped him, but I remember that one of the things the monastery wanted was for him to pay off his debts first.

I know a number of Nuns, but I never asked them how they became one. However, I did ask a monk how he became one as well as the process of being one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHkQbC2hl5s (Some thoughts by Fr. Monk Cosmas Shartz)

Wow, really? I go there a lot (I'll be going again next week). Wonderful monks! Do you suppose you could tell me who it is? Every time I go there I think I have their names remembered, but it turns out there are more monks or novices. Smiley A great problem to have!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
authio
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »

It's so different for each person.  I have two friends who are pursuing monasticism, on very different paths.  One is already at a monastery, the other still in the world. 

Listen to IH, he knows what he's talking about.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:47 AM »

Wow, really? I go there a lot (I'll be going again next week). Wonderful monks! Do you suppose you could tell me who it is? Every time I go there I think I have their names remembered, but it turns out there are more monks or novices. Smiley A great problem to have!

In Christ,
Andrew

I always called him Troy(his government name), I forgot who his Patron Saint was.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:14 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I always called him Troy(his government name), I forgot who his Patron Saint was.

I just spent last weekend at Holy Cross! Looks like we just missed each other, Shlomlokh!

I would love to know who your friend is that is staying there...they have so many novices, and more than want to come! It's such a beautiful and spiritually vibrant monastery!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I just spent last weekend at Holy Cross! Looks like we just missed each other, Shlomlokh!

I would love to know who your friend is that is staying there...they have so many novices, and more than want to come! It's such a beautiful and spiritually vibrant monastery!

He's been there since January of last year. I was suppose to visit him on the 14th or 15h back in November but missed the trip. It's about a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I'll ask Father what his Patron Saint name is on Wednesday. Lord Willing! He use to be on myspace and facebook, but I think he canceled his membership a while back. We both became Orthodox in April of 2007. He beat me to it by some hours! His was on Friday night (an all nighter), mine was that Saturday morning. We both were Episcopalians before we became Orthodox.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:06:00 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

jnorm do you live in the Pittsburgh area?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »

jnorm do you live in the Pittsburgh area?

Yup! When I tried to become Orthodox back in 1997/1998 I looked in the phone book and called a local parish, but I never got a response. The last time I counted, there were about 140 parishes in the Pittsburgh and greater Pittsburgh region. In 2006 I found an Orthodox Priest online and he directed me on who to contact in Pittsburgh.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »

There is quite a huge Orthodox presence in Pittsburgh is there not? I'm dying to move back personally, it's my favorite city.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

Hey guys! Those of you that have been to the hermitage in Wayne WV, any of you live nearby?
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »

There is quite a huge Orthodox presence in Pittsburgh is there not? I'm dying to move back personally, it's my favorite city.

Yes, there are alot here but you would never know it for they never let anyone know of their presence (well wait, it's different now, they are doing things to let the community know that they exist, but growing up I never ran into one or if I did they never told me). I was born and raised in the region and I never had an Orthodox Christian come to me to let me know that they were Orthodox. Most of them pretty much kept it to themselves. But that's how it is for alot of folk in the rust belt. Religion is pretty much private. I never met anyone in grade school, middle school or high school that told me they were Orthodox. I knew about Roman Catholics.....they are everywhere in Pittsburgh, but they are also more open in letting people know that they exist! I ran into alot of different protestant groups, muslims, hindu's Mormons, JW's and Jews, but I never had an Orthodox Christian tell me that they were Orthodox. I knew about their Church buildings, but I never ran into one, and if I did they never told me that they were Orthodox.

Until recently I've been trying to move out! I prefer the south-east.....I miss Alabama and Georgia. What is keeping me here are the goals and dreams of another friend. A sub-deacon who just came back from Allentown. He wants me to help with the Focus ministry that they are trying to do in Pittsburgh and he wants to start a Pittsburgh chapter of the brotherhood as well. I told him that I would have to look for a better job if I was gonna stay. Because I was on my way out!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:40:07 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

Hey guys! Those of you that have been to the hermitage in Wayne WV, any of you live nearby?
Yep. I'm in southwest VA. I'll be going back there next week. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »

I live in Central Kentucky, about 2 1/2 hours from Holy Cross. Many in our parish go regularly, some (including our parish priest) have their confessors there. One guy in our parish used to work there, as driver for Vladyka George! I think it's safe to say that we, as a parish, have a very healthy and active relationship with the monastery.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »

I thought the video that Holy Cross Hermitage released, "From the Little Mountain," was very enlightening. My dad, who is not Orthodox, also enjoyed it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »

It cool to know some of you live close to me. I live about 50 minutes from Wayne. Any of you live that close to the Hermitage. And by the way, to answer the OP's question, I spent some time at the Hermitage of the Holy Cross to see if I wanted to be a monastic. So for those that want to know what it's like, spend time at the monastery and FULLY participate in the liturgical cycle. Even if you don't become a monk, it's a wonderful   
Blessing.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

He's been there since January of last year. I was suppose to visit him on the 14th or 15h back in November but missed the trip. It's about a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I'll ask Father what his Patron Saint name is on Wednesday. Lord Willing! He use to be on myspace and facebook, but I think he canceled his membership a while back. We both became Orthodox in April of 2007. He beat me to it by some hours! His was on Friday night (an all nighter), mine was that Saturday morning. We both were Episcopalians before we became Orthodox.

I think I know who it is! Is it Br. Anthony? I worked with him making incense yesterday with Fr. Nectarius and some other visitors. Br. Anthony told me that there is currently at least 12 more men that are able to come live at hermitage and become monastics (and Abbot Seraphim wants them to come), but they don't have any room. Let's pray that they'll be able to grow their brotherhood!

In Christ,
Andrew

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I think I know who it is! Is it Br. Anthony? I worked with him making incense yesterday with Fr. Nectarius and some other visitors. Br. Anthony told me that there is currently at least 12 more men that are able to come live at hermitage and become monastics (and Abbot Seraphim wants them to come), but they don't have any room. Let's pray that they'll be able to grow their brotherhood!

In Christ,
Andrew

Anthony Troy? Troy Anthony?....hmm, Yes, I believe that's him! He gave me most of his books back when he was in the St. Stephens House of studies program.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:51:27 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Raca

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

The paths to monasticism are very different, but I think that in every case you gotta be determined and have a mind thats truly ready to leave this world. I thought about it, but I find that there's always something (not temptation) that is always calling me to stay, even as bad and disgusting as the world is.
authio
Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »

I also want to recommend "From the Little Mountain!"  It's a great film if you're not able to get away to a monastery very soon.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »

Anthony Troy? Troy Anthony?....hmm, Yes, I believe that's him! He gave me most of his books back when he was in the St. Stephens House of studies program.

Br. Anthony took a hike with myself and a friend on our last visit. He told us about some of his time as an Episcopalian! He is a smart man, and seems to have a great heart as well! I hope I will get to spend more time getting to know him in my future trips to the monastery.

I also want to recommend "From the Little Mountain!"  It's a great film if you're not able to get away to a monastery very soon.

It's a wonderful video that is truly enlightening concerning the monastic way of life. I encourage every Orthodox Christian to see it, and to want to show it to everyone else!

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

Br. Anthony took a hike with myself and a friend on our last visit. He told us about some of his time as an Episcopalian! He is a smart man, and seems to have a great heart as well! I hope I will get to spend more time getting to know him in my future trips to the monastery.

It's a wonderful video that is truly enlightening concerning the monastic way of life. I encourage every Orthodox Christian to see it, and to want to show it to everyone else!

Next time you are there, give my greetings to Fr. Seraphim.  He is my Godfather.  Also, when I showed my Priest "From the Little Mountain", he was so impressed that he showed it during adult instruction as a view of Monasticism.  He said after the showing that there was really little else that needed said.

Stefan - Omaha

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: