OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: leaving Evangelical church, need advice  (Read 1695 times) Average Rating: 0
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« on: December 09, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

I’m not sure what I should do-here a little background.
Let me start in the beginning-I was born and raised in Ukraine and while my family wasn’t religious, I always had reference for God and his worship. When I came to US some years ago, I kind of wanted to attend church but my ex-husband wasn’t religious and I felt strange going by myself. Fast forward to present day-I remarried someone who is Christian and regular church attender. I thought this would be the change I was looking for and when he asked me to go to his church, I went.  I’m calling it Evangelical  with Charismatic overtones, because I’m just not sure what to call it. Over the last 3 years of attending the said church I became completely dissatisfied with pretty much everything there and that lead me to OC. I’ve been attending for only few months but I feel like this is where I belong. I finally am able to worship God the way He should be and that feels wonderful. What is not wonderful is my situation with my husband. When I first told him about me wanting to try OC,  we had a terrible argument where he accused me of wanting to be “Catholic” and following superstitions and rituals. When I tried to explain to him about what OC is, he seemingly came down-as long as its not “Catholic” he was ok with me going sometime. However, the way I feel now, I don’t really want to go to my old church but I have been alternating it with OC for my husband’s sake.
Now, he has never been inside OC before so I’m sure if he saw the liturgy he would just have a heart attack so I never never invited him to go. Should I just do what I have been doing so far(going to my old church couple of times a month)? Because I have tried to talk to my husband but he is in “don’t ask, don’t tell” mode.
I’m just really unhappy about all I have to witness in my old church-the place looks like someone’s conference room, there is same old tired sermon, only rock music is sung there, no praying, and what bothers me the most, no reverence of any kind. Last communion they had(its about once a month), they just passed around grape juice and wafers and I saw lot of people discarding it, without even drinking it. I feel like most people there(I know most of them well, it’s a small church) claim Christianity as their religion but don’t even follow it, and majority only come for socializing. Its always been very casual about pretty much everything but I feel like they have taken it to whole new level. One of the ladies there is my close friend and she knows how I feel but even with her, she admits that the church has problems but “how can we abandon it”. Oh, and my mother in law is devoted charismatic who attends same church, and can’t finish one sentence without mentioning “how she was lead by Jesus” to do something. She doesn’t know anything about OC, other than I’ve gone there and thinks its just another Protestant church.  Don’t get me wrong-she is good woman and I love her dearly but if I “officially” leave, I’m not sure what’s going to happen with my family.

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »

My heart truly breaks for the situation you find yourself in. I know the people at that Protestant church you speak of. I used to be one of them. I thank God that, when I did leave Protestantism, I did it on my own, without a girlfriend or wife, and even coming from an irreligious family background (save one uncle, who is a Protestant minister. He takes issues with Orthodoxy, but finds it interesting as well). You will be in my prayers.

As for what to do in your present situation, I hesitate to offer advice. I know what I would try to do, but, that may not be what you should do. It might not even be what I should do, only what I would desire if I were in your position. So, I must ask how your relationship is with the priest at the parish you have been attending? If you have been going for a few months, surely you've developed some kind of relationship with him? I would simply advise you to approach him one-on-one and tell all of this to him, asking for his advice. He may tell you that the marriage is more important, and not to risk destroying it. He may encourage you to discover the root of our husband's aversion to anything "Catholic." He may be willing to meet with your husband to discuss things. He may keep correspondence with you and labor to give you detailed advice for speaking to your husband. He may do some combination of these things...or none of them. I don't know. Regardless, this is a pastoral concern, and so I have to simply refer you to the priest. May God grant him, and yourself, strength and wisdom in this very delicate situation.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »

Tell them Ukrainians are Orthodox. That should settle the argument.
Victoria

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »

Thanks, Red:) I really do like the priest at my church and was planning on speaking with him regarding that. There is actually a woman there who is in the simular situation except her fiance is not as hostile as my husband and actually attended Liturgy few times before deciding it was not for him. In her case, they have lot of theological debates but apparently with not much hostility. I have found that my husband have literally been brainwashed by his mother who is rapid anti-Catholic. I have tried to get through to him to no avail. I don't think he would be open to speaking to my priest. But i will wait until i talk to him to figure that out. I've been praying for my husband every day and hope that God willing, he will see the wisdom of OC. Thank you for your prayers

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »

Since that church have sent “missions” to Ukraine to “save” people there, I don’t think it will do any good.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »

Lol. *like*

Thanks, Red:) I really do like the priest at my church and was planning on speaking with him regarding that. There is actually a woman there who is in the simular situation except her fiance is not as hostile as my husband and actually attended Liturgy few times before deciding it was not for him. In her case, they have lot of theological debates but apparently with not much hostility. I have found that my husband have literally been brainwashed by his mother who is rapid anti-Catholic. I have tried to get through to him to no avail. I don't think he would be open to speaking to my priest. But i will wait until i talk to him to figure that out. I've been praying for my husband every day and hope that God willing, he will see the wisdom of OC. Thank you for your prayers

Many Protestants, especially when you go down as low on the historical totem pole as the group you seem to be talking about, simply have this fear of Rome (Romaphobia, if you will). They see it is as some devil that has introduced pagan ritual, idolatry and all manner of horrid things in some grotesque amalgam of a "church" that cannot possibly be Christian in any way. They then lump all liturgical churches into that perspective, which would include the Orthodox Church, if they ever knew what it was. They are probably very weary of the Anglican Church and confused by other higher-church Protestants (traditional Methodists and Lutherans...even Presbyterians). They simply have no point of historical reference concerning their faith. I would hate to have to go back and speak to some of the pastors I used to familiarize with concerning Orthodoxy. It would be a disaster.

I highly doubt he would be open to it as well, and if you are to attempt to convert him, expect a very rough road ahead. I would try to get at what he finds so objectionable about the Roman Catholicism (he probably does not have a good idea why, and if he does it is probably not founded upon anything close to the truth) and explain to him where he is wrong, and if he is ever right about anything that the Latins teach and the Orthodox do not, tell him so. If he does happen to have legitimate issues, attempt to explain it. For now, that is something I would definitely not suggest you do, for a variety of reasons, but those issues will have to be addressed in some way at some time, if he is to convert to Orthodoxy.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »

Since that church have sent “missions” to Ukraine to “save” people there, I don’t think it will do any good.

This helps me in my point, as sad as it is. The Protestants you're dealing with do not consider Romans (nor anything that might look like them) to be Christians. Lord, have mercy!

Victoria

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »

Red: During our conversation previously, i asked my husband what is up with this "Catholic" hate-his answer was that they were barely Christians because they "worshiped" statues. As you may have guessed, most of the people i know, including him, don't have a clue about history of the church(RC or OC or even Reformation for that matter), ergo the idiotic statements. I don't know if he would ever convert because he attended this church all his life so i intend to tread carefully on the subject because he is not reasobale about it

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »

Red: During our conversation previously, i asked my husband what is up with this "Catholic" hate-his answer was that they were barely Christians because they "worshiped" statues. As you may have guessed, most of the people i know, including him, don't have a clue about history of the church(RC or OC or even Reformation for that matter), ergo the idiotic statements. I don't know if he would ever convert because he attended this church all his life so i intend to tread carefully on the subject because he is not reasobale about it

Yep. They claim that Roman Catholics are idol worshipers. Not surprised. If he actually said they are "barely Christian," I am a little surprised...usually such people consider them non-Christians.

I do doubt he will convert. The key will be getting him to think logically and historically. Even then, it will be a huge battle. Again, my prayers are with you. I hope you and your priest are able to discover a good approach to this monumental task.

Victoria

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »

thank you Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »

*facepalm*

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »

This is just my poor advice and I really think you should talk to the Orthodox priest but here goes.

If I were you (and I was in a very similar situation myself once) I'd gradually and gracefully remove myself from the evangelical fellowship.  And then I would set about being the absolutely best wife I knew how to be.  And of course,  pray!  Ask St. Varus to pray for your husband, who is a good one to ask for help when praying for non-Orthodox.  I think what might happen (as it happened in my case) that something will happen to cause your husband to become dissatisfied with his fellowship.

Just my opinions,  you should do what you think is best in your situation.
Victoria

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »

Thank you, Xenia. I already left Sunday school teaching there and also, various small groups that i was involved in, so your advice confirmed that i was going down the right path. You said, you were in a simular situation yourself-if i may ask, how did you handle it?

Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »

Victoria,  I think from the description you've given we must have attended the same fellowship, they sound so similar,  right down to the missions trips to Ukraine.

In my case,  I was growing disillusioned with evangelicalism, for probably the same reasons as you.  One morning,  on a lark,  I decided to visited the Russian Church here in town and I was there just a few minutes when I knew I had to join the Orthodox Church.  It was an instant conversion of the heart.  I walked in a Protestant and walked out Orthodox in my heart.

I had a lot of jobs at the old fellowship and over the next month I disentangled myself from them all, freeing me to finally attend the Orthodox Church every Sunday.  I sort of slipped away.  Once at a dinner party at our house where all the pastors were in attendance I sort of floated the "What do you all think about Orthodoxy?" balloon and the results were so negative ("Those poor people are just trying to work their way to heaven," "Catholicism warmed over," etc) that I realized there was no point in talking with them.  So I slipped away and it wasn't discovered that I had left for quite some time!

As to my husband,  he stayed with the evangelicals for another year or so.  He was fine with my decision because he was raised Roman Catholic.  During those years his fellowship had one mini-scandal after the other and finally something happened that was the final straw and he joined me at the Orthodox Church and was chrismated a few years later.

So the whole thing was a process and all I can recommend is patience to wait and see what the Lord will do. 
Victoria

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

Thank you for your advice, Xenia, God Bless:)

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »

The off-topic tête-à-tête between a couple of our posters has been moved to Eastern/Oriental Orthodox Private Discussions.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=31953.0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:15:19 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »

Hi Victoria and welcome to the forum.

I'm come from a similar background and still have many friends who are in those types of churches.  Just as you have experienced with your mother-in-law, I have found it harder and harder to talk with them because of that "the Lord led me..." attitude.

My husband isn't Orthodox - but he's left the Charismatic type churches and attends a Lutheran church.  And while he isn't nearly so against "anything Catholic" as your husband seems to be, there can be friction.  I would also recommend prayer...lots of prayer for this situation and for your husband.   I think it is very good that your husband is in "don't ask, don't tell" mode  Grin  It's best not to engage in arguments with one's spouse and it sounds like at this point any discussion would lead to that.  Let your faith shine from you...pray for your husband and pray that you can accept God's timing and will in this situation. 
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »

Yep. They claim that Roman Catholics are idol worshipers. Not surprised. If he actually said they are "barely Christian," I am a little surprised...usually such people consider them non-Christians.

I do doubt he will convert. The key will be getting him to think logically and historically. Even then, it will be a huge battle. Again, my prayers are with you. I hope you and your priest are able to discover a good approach to this monumental task.

The type of evangelicals who do not regard Roman Catholics as Christian (and there are far more of them out there than one would think) hold Orthodoxy in the same, or even greater disdain.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »

The type of evangelicals who do not regard Roman Catholics as Christian (and there are far more of them out there than one would think) hold Orthodoxy in the same, or even greater disdain.

Oh, definitely...if they know what Orthodoxy is. Most who hold to such views are not so educated in church history and dogma, and so usually they've never heard of us.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »

My experience is they regard Orthodoxy as misguided but a little better than Catholicism, if they are aware of Orthodoxy at all. I suspect they might be more hostile if they ever saw a Divine Liturgy with all of its references to the Theotokos and icon veneration, but half of the time I get blank stares when I talk about Greek or Russian Orthodoxy (much moreso when I used the more nebulous label of "Eastern Orthodoxy"), and the other half of the time the response I get is, "I think I have heard of that. Wasn't there some movie once?..."

But that is here in the Gulf South in the United States, where Orthodoxy has a very small presence. Perhaps it is different where you find yourself.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »

What's funny is I grew up in an evangelical church and while I was growing up I always looked down on the Catholics and assumed they weren't Christian (hence why they are called Catholic) because my parents had the same ideals.

How very much wrong they are. You think that is quite the consensus for those that are born outside of the Catholic Church?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

How very much wrong they are.

Well, actually neither the Romanists nor they are Christians in the same sense as the Orthodox.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Victoria

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »

How very much wrong they are.

Well, actually neither the Romanists nor they are Christians in the same sense as the Orthodox.
I think that’s rather harsh-they are still Christians and RC is actually the closest to OC in terms of theology and doctrinal teachings. Yes, there are differences but when you compare the difference between Evangelical churches and RC, its like night and day.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »

I think that’s rather harsh-they are still Christians

If the Orthodox are the Body of Christ and the others are not part of His Body then how can they be Christians in the same sense?

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »

I will pray for you and your situation. I am not really qualified to offer advice but I feel like the advice you've already gotten - be the best wife and the best Christian you can be, and pray fervently for your husband - is solid. Let your light shine. Through the grace of God, your husband may come around. Nothing is impossible with God. Our God is a God Who works wonders!

Also, it sounds like you have a good priest who can help. Thanks be to God!

If your husband ever does come to Divine Liturgy, this sort if book could be helpful to him as a Protestant, because it shows how Scriptural our worship is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937032700/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1292023216&sr=8-3
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:22:10 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Victoria

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »

I think that’s rather harsh-they are still Christians

If the Orthodox are the Body of Christ and the others are not part of His Body then how can they be Christians in the same sense?
They believe in Trinity and Sacraments which is more than I can say for some other denominations, and while they are NOT part of OC, they would be still considered Christians by Orthodox Church since the split of 1054(I asked this before from my priest and he gave similar answer).  I know what you are saying by “Christians in the same sense” but that’s the best explanation I can give.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »

They believe in Trinity

Not even that is true in an absolute sense. The West has corrupted the doctrine of the Trinity.

they would be still considered Christians by Orthodox Church since the split of 1054

Not really. The Orthodox are the Christian community established by Christ. In so far as what Christian meant within the early Church, no one but the Orthodox now are Christians in the full sense.

Victoria

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »

They believe in Trinity

Not even that is true in an absolute sense. The West has corrupted the doctrine of the Trinity.

they would be still considered Christians by Orthodox Church since the split of 1054

Not really. The Orthodox are the Christian community established by Christ. In so far as what Christian meant within the early Church, no one but the Orthodox now are Christians in the full sense.

I’d like to repost this question in different forum and see what everyone thinks

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »

Here is a canon to St. Varus (mentioned by Xenia above):

http://www.stvladimiraami.org/sheetmusic/canonstvarus.pdf
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:26:27 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Victoria

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »

Here is a canon to St. Varus (mentioned by Xenia above):

http://www.stvladimiraami.org/sheetmusic/canonstvarus.pdf
Thank you, Latimer Smiley

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »

They believe in Trinity

deusveritasest, you're being a pain in the butt, and you need to back off. Victoria came here seeking advice on how to relate to the Evangelicals in her life. She didn't come here to hear you go on and on yet again about how only the Orthodox can be considered Christian, a topic that really bears little relevance to this thread or to the Convert Issues board in general. If you have any questions, please send them to me in a PM.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:54:15 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: