OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 01:59:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern and Western Catholic Roll Call  (Read 2152 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: December 09, 2010, 04:51:58 AM »

Hello, I was trying to figure out how many Catholic users (both Eastern and Western, in communion with Rome) we have frequenting these forums on a semi-regular basis. Also, I was hoping that you could indicate whether you are Eastern or Western Rite for future reference. Thanks!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

cmon guys, don't be shy!
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »

Roman Catholic, reporting for duty!
(Although it doesn't really make a difference, Eastern or Western Catholic, since I can receive communion in any of their churches)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »

Roman Catholic, though I try to make it to our local Ruthenian Catholic parish at least once a month for either Byzantine or Maronite Liturgy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

I am a Roman Catholic.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

I, too, am a Roman Catholic. I've wanted to attend an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy for quite some time though.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »

Roman Catholic, reporting for duty!
(Although it doesn't really make a difference, Eastern or Western Catholic, since I can receive communion in any of their churches)

Yes, of course, I just want to get a feel for the balance between those who primarily practice eastern vs. western rite here.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:35:27 AM »

As my profile indicates, I'm a Melkite Greek-Catholic, under the canonical jurisdiction of the Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »

Another Vaticanist here:  Western by birth, Eastern by marriage. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 12:30:40 AM »

Another Vaticanist here
I didn't know you that you live in Vatican City. Cool.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

Latin Catholic here.

Not an ultramontanist!
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »

I'm Eastern Catholic.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

I'm Eastern Catholic.
I was hoping that you would come and be counted.
Blessed Nativity!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »

Roman Catholic. I attend a Ruthenian parish infrequently.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »

I'm Eastern Catholic.
Sorta.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »

I don't wanna derail the informal roll call, but I have some questions regarding all these different groupings. 

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

If answering these questions will derail the topic OR cause considerable mental anguish, please point me to the answer... preferably a website.  Thanks!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »

I don't wanna derail the informal roll call, but I have some questions regarding all these different groupings. 

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

If answering these questions will derail the topic OR cause considerable mental anguish, please point me to the answer... preferably a website.  Thanks!  Smiley

Generally (now days) ultramontanist would be some one who has an exaggerated view of the Papacy.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

Generally (now days) ultramontanist would be some one who has an exaggerated view of the Papacy.

In a negative or positive way? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

In a negative or positive way? 
In a negative way.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

If answering these questions will derail the topic OR cause considerable mental anguish, please point me to the answer... preferably a website.  Thanks!  Smiley

Gabriel,

A Latin or Western Catholic (pretty much synonymous terms) is one who belongs to what most people perceive as 'the Catholic Church' or 'Roman Catholic'. They are Catholics who worship according to the Latin Rite (or one of its few variants). Prior to VII, they would have worshipped at Mass in Latin; subsequent to VII, most would have attended Mass served in the vernacular of their country; more recently, they might do either -depending on their locale and the availability of Mass served in Latin.

Montanist is a term not properly used in this context, at least historically. It is, I suppose, intended to define one as being supportive of the prerogatives of the papacy, but not carried to what some would consider extreme (yet would be viewed by others - Ultramontanists - as its proper and fullest expression). (The term, in its original usage, referred to the Montanist heresy, which was not about papal prerogatives.) Those who use it as I described above would be doing so to distinguish themselves from Ultramontanists - but to understand what it meant to any who so called himself, you'd have to inquire further, as it hasn't got as defined an understanding as Ultramontanist does.

Ultramontanists are generally thought of as those Catholics who zealously support, defend, and promote papal authority and supremacy over conciliarism.  (One could be an Eastern or Oriental Catholic - discussed below - and be an Ultramontanist, but they are more generally found among Latin Catholics.) I would agree with Papist that an Ultramontanist view of the papacy is a negative one, but I admit to being surprised that he perceives it as such - that would definitely be the Orthodox viewpoint and one found among at least some Eastern and Oriental Catholics (I'd say most, but I have no idea how one would quantify that, so I'll refrain from doing so).

Eastern Catholics is the collective term for those Catholics, in communion with Rome, who worship according to the Byzantine or Constantinoplian Rite. They belong - in all but one instance - to Churches sui iuris (of their own law) to which there is an Eastern Orthodox counterpart, as they entered communion with Rome from Eastern Orthodoxy at some point subsequent to the events of 1054 and thereafter.  There is a stickied thread here which delineates the 14 Eastern Catholic Churches (although it may be out-of-date on a few points, since I wrote it about 3 years back).

Not referenced above are Oriental Catholics. That is a collective term for those who belong to the any of the 8 Catholic Churches which have counterparts among the Oriental Orthodox Churches. They are also listed in that same sticky.

There are also 2 other non-Latin type Catholics - Maronite and Chaldean - which fit into neither the Eastern nor Oriental classification - the Maronites because there is no counterpart Church in Orthodoxy and the Chaldeans because they represent those who entered comunion with Rome from the Assyrian Church, which belongs to neither of the Orthodox Communions.

Melkite Greek-Catholics are members of the Church which was formed after splitting from the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch (whose faithful were then known as Melkite Orthodox and are now known as Antiochian Orthodox) back in 1724-25. They are one of the 14 Churches collectively termed as Eastern Catholic.

Help?

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:19:22 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »

What is a:

Latin Catholic?
 Western Catholic?
 Eastern Catholic?
 Melkite Greek Catholic?
 Montanist?
 Ultramontanist?

If answering these questions will derail the topic OR cause considerable mental anguish, please point me to the answer... preferably a website.  Thanks!  Smiley

Gabriel,

A Latin or Western Catholic (pretty much synonymous terms) is one who belongs to what most people perceive as 'the Catholic Church' or 'Roman Catholic'. They are Catholics who worship according to the Latin Rite (or one of its few variants). Prior to VII, they would have worshipped at Mass in Latin; subsequent to VII, most would have attended Mass served in the vernacular of their country; more recently, they might do either -depending on their locale and the availability of Mass served in Latin.

Montanist is a term not properly used in this context, at least historically. It is, I suppose, intended to define one as being supportive of the prerogatives of the papacy, but not carried to what some would consider extreme (yet would be viewed by others - Ultramontanists - as its proper and fullest expression). (The term, in its original usage, referred to the Montanist heresy, which was not about papal prerogatives.) Those who use it as I described above would be doing so to distinguish themselves from Ultramontanists - but to understand what it meant to any who so called himself, you'd have to inquire further, as it hasn't got as defined an understanding as Ultramontanist does.

Ultramontanists are generally thought of as those Catholics who zealously support, defend, and promote papal authority and supremacy over conciliarism.  (One could be an Eastern or Oriental Catholic - discussed below - and be an Ultramontanist, but they are more generally found among Latin Catholics.) I would agree with Papist that an Ultramontanist view of the papacy is a negative one, but I admit to being surprised that he perceives it as such - that would definitely be the Orthodox viewpoint and one found among at least some Eastern and Oriental Catholics (I'd say most, but I have no idea how one would quantify that, so I'll refrain from doing so).

Eastern Catholics is the collective term for those Catholics, in communion with Rome, who worship according to the Byzantine or Constantinoplian Rite. They belong - in all but one instance - to Churches sui iuris (of their own law) to which there is an Eastern Orthodox counterpart, as they entered communion with Rome from Eastern Orthodoxy at some point subsequent to the events of 1054 and thereafter.  There is a stickied thread here which delineates the 14 Eastern Catholic Churches (although it may be out-of-date on a few points, since I wrote it about 3 years back).

Not referenced above are Oriental Catholics. That is a collective term for those who belong to the any of the 8 Catholic Churches which have counterparts among the Oriental Orthodox Churches. They are also listed in that same sticky.

There are also 2 other non-Latin type Catholics - Maronite and Chaldean - which fit into neither the Eastern nor Oriental classification - the Maronites because there is no counterpart Church in Orthodoxy and the Chaldeans because they represent those who entered comunion with Rome from the Assyrian Church, which belongs to neither of the Orthodox Communions.

Melkite Greek-Catholics are members of the Church which was formed after splitting from the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch (whose faithful were then known as Melkite Orthodox and are now known as Antiochian Orthodox) back in 1724-25. They are one of the 14 Churches collectively termed as Eastern Catholic.

Help?

It sure did!  Thanks, friend.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »

I would agree with Papist that an Ultramontanist view of the papacy is a negative one, but I admit to being surprised that he perceives it as such
Surprise Surprise.

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »

Roman Catholic, though I try to make it to our local Ruthenian Catholic parish at least once a month for either Byzantine or Maronite Liturgy.
I am in the same boat with Papist.

We both go to the same Roman Parish and the same Ruthenian Parish. I serve in the Maronite Rite (we have a priest who visits monthly to offer Qurbana for the Maronite faithful here). The last time I went to DL at the Ruthenian Parish I served as well.

I don't serve at my home parish, the Roman one. I am a Roman Catholic (although I was chrismated by a Melkite Priest - he has bi-ritual faculties. He had to choose to be Melkite or Roman when he was going to enter seminary - he chose Roman)

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Thomist

Jurisdiction: Latin Rite: Archdiocese of Baltimore

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »

I am a Roman Catholic of the western rite. I wish it was still the latin rite. Thankfully, however, there is a Church about a half hour drive from me that offers the latin mass each sunday, and the High Solemn Mass on the first and third sundays of the month, except during the summer.

I enjoy speaking to the Orthodox because of the enormous aesthetic appeal of their liturgy and art, because of my personal interest in the history of the Byzantine Empire, and because I am disputatious by nature and so are they!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:55:12 AM by Thomist » Logged

"Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?" - Saint Cyprian of Carthage
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 05:54:42 AM »

I am a Latin Rite Roman Catholic. I attend the Latin Mass since my parish offers it twice a week. I love the solemnity of it all. I also like the eastern liturgies as well e.g. Byzantine, Maronite. I once attended a Syriac Rite Catholic Mass and was very much impressed by the beauty.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:06:42 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Ignatius II

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »

Roman Catholic, although sometimes attend Ruthenian parishes.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

Grace and Peace to all,

Still Roman Catholic and still attending Vespers on Wednesdays and Saturdays at a local Orthodox Parish from time to time.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: