Author Topic: Catholic-Islam Alliance  (Read 11303 times)

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
Re: Catholic-Islam Alliance
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »
To what end do we work with Moslems fight secularism? To make ourselves feel better about the world? It's humanism.

Maybe I'm a pragmatist, but I don't think Christ calls us simply spread our good morals; he calls us to baptize. In my view, our concern should be making people Christians, not making the world seem more Christian by any means necessary. We should be setting ourselves apart from and above false religions, not standing beside them like we're all the same. (We know we're not all the same, but how would an uninformed atheist know that when we're all standing there together, acting like we all have the same interests?)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
To what end do we work with Moslems fight secularism? To make ourselves feel better about the world? It's humanism.

Maybe I'm a pragmatist, but I don't think Christ calls us simply spread our good morals; he calls us to baptize. In my view, our concern should be making people Christians, not making the world seem more Christian by any means necessary. We should be setting ourselves apart from and above false religions, not standing beside them like we're all the same. (We know we're not all the same, but how would an uninformed atheist know that when we're all standing there together, acting like we all have the same interests?)
So if muslims show up at a pro-life rally, you wanna have them removed?
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
The end times are near my brothers and sisters. The Anti-Christ and the False Prophet are openly disclosing their hellish pact.

-/+ Rapture 4/23/13

Not on St. George's day!!!!! :(
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 12:37:16 AM »
I cannot help but wonder if seeking an alliance with Islam is like seeking an alliance with  http://www.fabbricantidiuniversi.it/starwars/immagini/palpatine1.JPG
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:43:57 AM by Gamliel »

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »

So if muslims show up at a pro-life rally, you wanna have them removed?

No, I don't think so. If individuals want to do that of their own volition, that's their choice.

My issue lies with official representatives of the religion doing things together, with the partnership being a primary or secondary point of the exercise. I would have a problem with an Imam and a Bishop (be he Orthodox or Catholic) organizing a joint pro-life rally.

This is not because I think the Christians will catch Moslem cooties, or that they'll spontaneously behead all the Christians, but because it creates a confusion and obscures our message to the rest of the world, particularly those who already see no difference between all religions. Our primary duty is to baptize people and make them saints, not to join with others to promote morals for their own sake and the scraps of saintliness their religions contain. That will make them think we approve of their beliefs, or view them as somehow equal, when we do not.

I just don't believe it does the Faith any service to have more images like these out there:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:49:42 AM by bogdan »