OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic-Islam Alliance  (Read 2240 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 08, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »

Would Orthodoxy be open to an "alliance" with Islam, in the way proposed by BXVI?

From the pen of John Allen:

At the core of Benedict's vision is what he described during a May 2009 journey to Jordan as an "Alliance of Civilizations" – a phrase obviously crafted as an alternative to the "Clash of Civilizations." The idea is that Christians and Muslims should stand shoulder-to-shoulder in defense of shared values such as the right to life, care of the poor, opposition to war and corruption, and a robust role for religion in public life. (The pope calls that "inter-cultural," as opposed to "inter-religious," dialogue.)

In Light of the World, Benedict is asked if he has abandoned the medieval notion that popes are supposed to save the West from Islamization.

"Today we are living in a completely different world, in which the battle lines are drawn differently," Benedict says. "In this world, radical secularism stands on one side, and the question of God, in its various forms, stands on the other."

In that struggle, Benedict sees Christians and Muslims as natural allies.

Bottom line: The only crusade Benedict is interested in leading is against a "dictatorship of relativism," not against Islam. If only Nixon could go to China, maybe only Benedict XVI can go to Mecca.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:31:16 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:33 AM »

Huh

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

Would Orthodoxy be open to an "alliance" with Islam, in the way proposed by BXVI?

From the pen of John Allen:

At the core of Benedict's vision is what he described during a May 2009 journey to Jordan as an "Alliance of Civilizations" – a phrase obviously crafted as an alternative to the "Clash of Civilizations." The idea is that Christians and Muslims should stand shoulder-to-shoulder in defense of shared values such as the right to life, care of the poor, opposition to war and corruption, and a robust role for religion in public life. (The pope calls that "inter-cultural," as opposed to "inter-religious," dialogue.)

In Light of the World, Benedict is asked if he has abandoned the medieval notion that popes are supposed to save the West from Islamization.

"Today we are living in a completely different world, in which the battle lines are drawn differently," Benedict says. "In this world, radical secularism stands on one side, and the question of God, in its various forms, stands on the other."

In that struggle, Benedict sees Christians and Muslims as natural allies.

Bottom line: The only crusade Benedict is interested in leading is against a "dictatorship of relativism," not against Islam. If only Nixon could go to China, maybe only Benedict XVI can go to Mecca.
and be killed.

Opposition to war in the "religion of Peace?"

He started so promising.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »

If they accepted baptism.  Wink Oh come on, you knew it was coming.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »

Notre Dame is in on the act:

NEW YORK -- The University of Notre Dame has launched a major new initiative called “Contending Modernities: Catholic, Muslim and Secular,” described as a scholarly effort to bring the best minds in both traditions to bear on the collision between faith and reason in the contemporary world.

The initiative offers yet another confirmation that outreach to Islam has become the top interfaith priority of the Catholic church, both in its official structures and at the grass roots.

In the recent book Light of the World: The Pope, the Church, and the Signs of the Times, released a few days after the Notre Dame initiative was unveiled (see Page 18), Pope Benedict XVI argues that Christian-Muslim relations in the early 21st century should pivot on the common challenge of situating themselves vis-à-vis secular modernity.
Ingrid Mattson, a scholar at Hartford Seminary in Connecticut and the first female president of the Islamic Society of North America, warned that the common threat posed by secularism may cause important differences between Catholics and Muslims to be glossed over.

For example, Mattson cited a U.N. conference on family planning in Cairo in the mid-1990s, when the Vatican and some Islamic states joined forces to oppose liberal policies on “reproductive rights.”
In fact, Mattson said, “birth control was permitted in medieval Islam, and still is,” yet Muslim spokespersons tended to defer to the Vatican even on contraception out of alarm over “the modern assault on religion generally.”
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:57:03 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! (kidding... Undecided )
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:59 AM »

This is madness. Insanity. Imagine how weak Christianity must look to Moslems. Imagine how this looks to Copts who face death every day at the hands of their Moslem oppressors.

You don't join hands with evil because it has a facade of goodness around it. But I suppose Mr Allen would call me an extremist for saying that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:30:35 AM by bogdan » Logged
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »

Benedict says. "In this world, radical secularism stands on one side, and the question of God Islamic jihad, in its various forms, stands on the other."

FTFtP (Fixed that for the Pope)

And I'll just leave this here:

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »

That picture never gets any easier to look at...much like this one:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:43:47 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »

That picture never gets any easier to look at...much like this one:

Nor does this:

(Confessor and Priest-martyr Fr. Daniil Sysoyev †2009)

Or this, this, or this.

(Warning: Graphic images)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:05:30 PM by bogdan » Logged
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »

I see your B.O. and raise you a G.W.

Where is the divided highway, Ialmisry? Is that for a nonMuslim section of town called Jeddah in an extremist country?

The biggest obstacle to unity with R.C. is that they have the Pope being everyone's supreme ruler or something, while a Patriarch would be like his subject. So any disagreement on doctrine would subject our position to the RC one. It is a practical concern that goes above anything. You can't agree to disagree with the Papa.

Regarding Islam, it also seems to be a practical concern that would be the biggest to an alliance. It seems like their customs discriminate against people born to Muslim families who became Christian. I think it's the biggest obstacle. Jordan and yes even Iran guarantee a Christian place in parliament and have protective laws allowing Christians to worship. I'm sure such protections and laws could be better and enforced better. Plus, Christians have survived for centuries under Islamic rule in many places. I know that the Copts have got it pretty bad, but improvements could be made in principle. My point is just that in some ways an alliance would be possible. Even our church leaders in the 15th century said that they would prefer a Muslim turban to an RC bishops' hat, when confronted with the Crusades.

But such a possibility of an alliance is greatly diminished, and possibly mainly diminished, by the custom attacking people who grow up in Muslim families and want to become Christian. I'm sure there are many other obstacles to an alliance. But it seems like this simple obstacle, just like the idea of RC papal supremacy, seems to be a huge one. To give an extreme example, how could you marry someone if your stepkids would get whooped if they tried to live with you?

It seems that if they would have open discussion about religion and allow simple people to choose what they come to believe is the truth, then it would go a long way to friendship with Islam. Otherwise, if there is no free discussion, questioning, and allowing for exchange, then it is very hard, perhaps harder than doctrine.

Perhaps such an obstacle can be overcome. In the 11th century, Egyptian rulers destroyed many churches and made a rule forcibly converting Christians to Islam, but then changed their mind, allowed the Christians to return to Christianity, and rebuilt the churches. So perhaps some Islamic countries could have a free exchange of ideas, questioning, and allowing people to come to the Truth.

But attacking Christian converts seems like a huge obstacle like Papal Supremacy is.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »

Vechnaya Pamyat'.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »

Where is the divided highway, Ialmisry? Is that for a nonMuslim section of town called Jeddah in an extremist country?

It is the highway in Saudi Arabia. Jeddah is the coastal town near Mecca (Jiddah means "Grandmother" and on the edge of town is a heap that is claimed as the tomb of Eve), and the major port on the Red Sea.  It used to be that embassies to SA were based in Jiddah, the most pleasant place in the whole of the Kingdom, until the government  forced them to move to Riyadh.  Non-Muslims are forbidden, on penalty of death, of getting near Mecca.  Odd since Muslim tradition affirms that an Ethiopian Orthodox stone mason rebuild the Ka'bah for the Quraysh in the days of Muhammad.  Muhammad last words, however, are supposed to have told the Muslims to not allow two religions in Arabia.  The Christian community of Najran was expelled to Mesopotamia.

Regarding Islam, it also seems to be a practical concern that would be the biggest to an alliance. It seems like their customs discriminate against people born to Muslim families who became Christian. I think it's the biggest obstacle. Jordan and yes even Iran guarantee a Christian place in parliament and have protective laws allowing Christians to worship. I'm sure such protections and laws could be better and enforced better. Plus, Christians have survived for centuries under Islamic rule in many places. I know that the Copts have got it pretty bad, but improvements could be made in principle. My point is just that in some ways an alliance would be possible. Even our church leaders in the 15th century said that they would prefer a Muslim turban to an RC bishops' hat, when confronted with the Crusades.
What would they say about a "RC bishop" in a Muslim turban?

Another problem is that the vast majority of Muslims are not Islamists, but they defer to the Islaimists to define Islam.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:26:24 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 12:45:56 PM »

Odd since Muslim tradition affirms that an Ethiopian Orthodox stone mason rebuild the Ka'bah for the Quraysh in the days of Muhammad.  Muhammad last words, however, are supposed to have told the Muslims to not allow two religions in Arabia.  The Christian community of Najran was expelled to Mesopotamia.

Yes, good point about the stone mason. When you say "two religions", do we have it strongly from tradition that one of them was Christianity.

Even our church leaders in the 15th century said that they would prefer a Muslim turban to an RC bishops' hat, when confronted with the Crusades.
What would they say about a "RC bishop" in a Muslim turban?

Would they call them Melkites or Melkite converts to Islam?

Another problem is that the vast majority of Muslims are not Islamists, but they defer to the Islaimists to define Islam.

What do you mean?

It's nice to read a reply that doesn't say that I am a "collaborator" when I say something partly positive about Muslims for once. ha ha.

Happy Advent
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:47:23 PM by rakovsky » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »

Odd since Muslim tradition affirms that an Ethiopian Orthodox stone mason rebuild the Ka'bah for the Quraysh in the days of Muhammad.  Muhammad last words, however, are supposed to have told the Muslims to not allow two religions in Arabia.  The Christian community of Najran was expelled to Mesopotamia.

Yes, good point about the stone mason. When you say "two religions", do we have it strongly from tradition that one of them was Christianity.

More than that: there are archaelogical remains of Churches (though the Saudi government has demolished many).

What do you mean?

Very few Muslims will contradict what the Islamicists say Islam is. For instance, very few Muslims denounced the death fatwa against Salman Rushdie, and few disagree with the law that apostates from Islam must be killed. The reason why the descendants of Jinnah, the Father of Pakistan, cannot visit Pakistan-they are all baptized.

It's nice to read a reply that doesn't say that I am a "collaborator" when I say something partly positive about Muslims for once. ha ha.

Have I?

Happy Advent
Blessed Fast and Feast of the Nativity.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »

Vechnaya Pamyat'.

"We magnify thee, O Holy Hieromartyr Father Daniel, and we honor thy holy sufferings, which thou didst endure for the sake of Christ our God!"

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »

More than that: there are archaelogical remains of Churches
Awesome. Maybe one day they will be rebuilt.

What do you mean?

I am somewhat confused about the difference between Islamist and Muslim, since I thought that "Muslim" wasn't an ethnicity, but a religious aspect.

The reason why the descendants of Jinnah, the Father of Pakistan, cannot visit Pakistan-they are all baptized.
Interesting.

Have I?

No. I was referring to the politics section expressing sympathy for Christians and/or normal sympathetic Muslims (whatever portion they are) in the Holy Land, which it's true most posters did too anyway.

Blessed Fast and Feast of the Nativity.

You too, brother!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:30:32 PM by rakovsky » Logged
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »

So is sharia a viable form of morality in the eyes of Rome?

Antiochian OC N.A.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »

No.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »

The end times are near my brothers and sisters. The Anti-Christ and the False Prophet are openly disclosing their hellish pact.

-/+ Rapture 4/23/13

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

No.
Well I am glad you & probably most Catholics agree. I also do not mean to take a shot against the Catholic Church which I have generally have much admiration for. Nonetheless, this must be distressing & confusing to many Christians: Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant. We must be vigilant and discerning of this since it is bewildering.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »

No.
One could say the thing about Orthodox Jewish law, but still, there would be areas in which Catholics and Orthodox Jews could work together.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »

No.
One could say the thing about Orthodox Jewish law, but still, there would be areas in which Catholics and Orthodox Jews could work together.
Agreed. I think that moderate Muslims can fruitfully work with Catholics against secularism.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »

No.
Agreed. I think that moderate Muslims can fruitfully work with Catholics against secularism.

Seems to me secularism is a consequence of the evolution of Catholicism. Where else did it spring up? How else can you account for the movement from a thoroughly Catholic area of the world being torn asunder quickly into Protestantism, Secularism, Marxism, etc?

I know this is probably too complex a question for a board and perhaps a loaded one, but anyhow, there it is.

To make this concrete, I've know many "lapsed" RC women. They have some of the most charitable and giving people I have ever met. They occupy the helping professions and give more of their time and money to charities than most other folks I know.

When I asked them why they stopped "being Catholic", to the one, the response:

It's all just about being a good person. The golden rule. Everything else is just a bunch of rituals. Jesus showed you should be loving and giving.

And they act more "Christianly" than most at least based on their demeanor and behavior, just some vague notion of a God and no connection to a church except the occasion Mass with family or visit to their friends' Megachurch.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »

Marixism thrived in EO countries.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »

Like Cuba, Italy, Spain and various countries in Latin America.

in fact, IIRC, Spain and Chile were the only countries where communism came to power totally by a free vote.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:12:56 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »

Oh please, you know that it was MUCH stronger in the Eastern block, such as in a Russia, with it's "Third Rome".  Cheesy

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »

Oh please, you know that it was MUCH stronger in the Eastern block, such as in a Russia, with it's "Third Rome".  Cheesy
Germany was the stronghold of communism before the Bolshiviks imposed communism.  It was imposed in Cuba as well, but freely chosen in Spain, Italy etc.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »

Germany was the stronghold of communism before the Bolshiviks imposed communism.  It was imposed in Cuba as well, but freely chosen in Spain, Italy etc.
Nowhere has communism thrived like it did in the Soviet Empire.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »

Not a response. It was born in Catholic territory. Western Europe did tend to come to dominate pretty much the entire world. My point is that it was in Western Europe and thus through Catholicism and its development that these "secular" phenomena come to be. I don't think this is purely accidental.

That these post-Catholic or hyper-Catholic threads spread throughout the world is a fact. The power of these hyper-Catholicisms is truly interesting for they might have spread via the might and power of the West, but they stayed and took root pretty much everywhere they went.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »

Not a response. It was born in Catholic territory. Western Europe did tend to come to dominate pretty much the entire world. My point is that it was in Western Europe and thus through Catholicism and its development that these "secular" phenomena come to be. I don't think this is purely accidental.

That these post-Catholic or hyper-Catholic threads spread throughout the world is a fact. The power of these hyper-Catholicisms is truly interesting for they might have spread via the might and power of the West, but they stayed and took root pretty much everywhere they went.
Hmm. silly response. Especially when it communism thrived in the largest Eastern Orthodox Countries in the world.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

Ain't nothing wrong with a little secularism to get the grey matter hoppin' about Smiley

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »

I am not here to blame any Chrisitan group for what political systems emerged in what nations they were dominant. I just think entering into any alliance with any Islamic group is unwise & should be avoided as should any invective in determining to do so.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:30:33 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

Hmm. silly response. Especially when it communism thrived in the largest Eastern Orthodox Countries in the world.

You still are missing the point. I am not saying it is not powerful. It certainly is and that is another question and fascinating one as I have already written.

All secular forms were birthed through Catholicism and perhaps are more essentially what Catholicism is, hence my labeling them hyper-Catholicism.

The attractive nature of these hyper-Catholicisms is again fascinating, but not what I am asking about nor suggesting.

Again probably not the place to discuss this, especially if it is going to be limited to ignoring my point and naming places where hypo-Catholicism  Wink did not flourish or even exist and where its more mature and essentials forms now do.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »

You still are missing the point. I am not saying it is not powerful. It certainly is and that is another question and fascinating one as I have already written.

All secular forms were birthed through Catholicism and perhaps are more essentially what Catholicism is, hence my labeling them hyper-Catholicism.

The attractive nature of these hyper-Catholicisms is again fascinating, but not what I am asking about nor suggesting.

Again probably not the place to discuss this, especially if it is going to be limited to ignoring my point and naming places where hypo-Catholicism  Wink did not flourish or even exist and where its more mature and essentials forms now do.
If you wanna follow this stupid line of thought, let's do it and apply it to the EO Church. Since you believe the the EO Church birthed the Catholic Church, and Catholicism is really secularism, then the EO Church is the source of secularism.
Fun game huh.
Or, evil communist dicatators were baptized orthodox, so the Eastern Orthodox Church is the sources of evil dictatorship.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:33:02 PM by Papist » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »

I am not here to blame any Chrisitan group for what political systems emerged in what nations they were dominant. I just think entering into any alliance with any Islamic group is unwise & should be avoided as should any invective in determining to do so.

Since when on the internet did the topic of a thread have to have anything to do with what the thread ends up being about?

Muslims really aren't that scary by the way. I eat with an Islamic group frequently. A couple a great guys I work with. Here is the smiley to drive home the point that was said in jest  Wink.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

If you wanna follow this stupid line of thought, let's do it and apply it to the EO Church. Since you believe the the EO Church birthed the Catholic Church, and Catholicism is really secularism, then the EO Church is the source of secularism.
Fun game huh.
Or, evil communist dicatators were baptized orthodox, so the Eastern Orthodox Church is the sources of evil dictatorship.

I don't necessarily believe what you said I did. Don't assume. And it is not a stupid line of thought.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »

Fun game huh.

I don't necessarily believe what you said I did. Don't assume. And it is not a stupid line of thought.
It's an extremely stupid line of thought.

rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »

No.

I can think of some countries in the Middle East that could use some more secularism.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »

Fun game huh.

Children, could you please let the adults discuss things? Thank you. Wink

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »

Fun game huh.

Children, could you please let the adults discuss things? Thank you. Wink

Well we all can agree that our God can beat up their God, right?

OK, that is the last remark made out of mere irony, attempt at humor, or what might be taken for sarcasm. Please let me know if I post otherwise.

Mea culpa. And thank you.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »

We don't need to forge alliances with the hybrid pagan-heretic religion of Islam. It will only be to our detriment in the end. Our goal is to make every human on earth a Saint. Islam's goal is to institute Sharia law (the manifestation of Islamic belief in everyday life) worldwide. We have nothing in common with them, except for the most surface and inconsequential moral ideals.

There are too many do-gooders and useful idiots in the west who are willingly being deceived by Islam. Deception is one of their most useful tools, and they use it in cases just like these. Methinks Pope Benedict needs to actually read the Koran and learn about things like abrogation and taqiyya. Here's a brief primer.

Any partnership we forge with Islam will bite us in the end. It's not worth it. Christianity is the truth and we should be converting people to Christianity, not just whatever garden variety theism suits someone's fancy.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:18:35 PM by bogdan » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »

We don't need to forge alliances with the hybrid pagan-heretic religion of Islam. It will only be to our detriment in the end. Our goal is to make every human on earth a Saint. Islam's goal is to institute Sharia law (the manifestation of Islamic belief in everyday life) worldwide. We have nothing in common with them, except for the most surface and inconsequential moral ideals.

There are too many do-gooders and useful idiots in the west who are willingly being deceived by Islam. Deception is one of their most useful tools, and they use it in cases just like these. Methinks Pope Benedict needs to actually read the Koran and learn about things like abrogation and taqiyya. Here's a brief primer.

Any partnership we forge with Islam will bite us in the end. It's not worth it. Christianity is the truth and we should be converting people to Christianity, not just whatever garden variety theism suits someone's fancy.
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that we convert people to Islam.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »

I don't see why some people seem to be so concerned with the idea of an alliance between Christians and Muslims on certain things.  I would, in fact, like to see more inter-religious co-operation on things like opposition to abortion and gay marriage between Muslims, Catholics, Orthodox, the various forms of Protestants, and Jews.  That is not to suggest that you have to say "Orthodoxy and Islam are practically one in the same, we agree on everything, and all the Muslims will go to heaven."  Most people who would promote an inter-religious alliance combating things like secularism would NOT also suggest that there should be no attempt at conversion of the Muslims or the Jews or the Protestants.  I mean, it is like how libertarians will often work with liberals on many social issues, and with conservatives on many economic ones.  This does not mean that libertarians do not want to convince liberals or conservatives of libertarianism, but merely that instead of fighting them even when both groups agree, it is better to work with them when they agree.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »

I don't see why some people seem to be so concerned with the idea of an alliance between Christians and Muslims on certain things.  I would, in fact, like to see more inter-religious co-operation on things like opposition to abortion and gay marriage between Muslims, Catholics, Orthodox, the various forms of Protestants, and Jews.  That is not to suggest that you have to say "Orthodoxy and Islam are practically one in the same, we agree on everything, and all the Muslims will go to heaven."  Most people who would promote an inter-religious alliance combating things like secularism would NOT also suggest that there should be no attempt at conversion of the Muslims or the Jews or the Protestants.  I mean, it is like how libertarians will often work with liberals on many social issues, and with conservatives on many economic ones.  This does not mean that libertarians do not want to convince liberals or conservatives of libertarianism, but merely that instead of fighting them even when both groups agree, it is better to work with them when they agree.
Exactly.

Tags: Islam 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: