OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:00:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Sergianism?  (Read 1321 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: December 03, 2002, 01:52:31 PM »

Please forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question.  What is Sergianism?  I have heard of this term before being thrown around and I am wondering what it is.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 02:24:39 PM »

Sergianism? Why, it's the faithful following of Catholics and Orthodox (mostly on the US East Coast for some reason) who read my site!  Grin

Seriously, it refers to the compromise literally beaten out of the head of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1927. Metropolitan Sergius (Stragorodsky), who became patriarch of Moscow shortly before he died in the 1940s, after spending time in prison, issued a declaration pledging Church support for the new Soviet government - this is our homeland so the joys and sorrows of the USSR are our joys and sorrows, etc. Also, he ordered Russian Orthodox clergy abroad to pledge not to criticize the Soviet government. He was a beaten, broken man trying to insure survival of the Church of Russia, in Russia, but of course many (most?) Russian Orthodox bishops abroad didn't go along with this outrageous order. This perpetuated a three-way split of Russian Orthodox worldwide that partly continues to this day.

1. The Russian metropolia in America didn't obey the order and so there was a schism from the mother Church until 1970, when the Russian Church proclaimed its American metropolia completely independent; the latter was renamed the Orthodox Church in America.

2. The Temporary Higher Admistration of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad had been formed by escaped Russian bishops in Yugoslavia in 1920 - after 1927 the Church of Russia declared them excommunicated (IIRC). This group is now based in New York and is better known as ROCOR - the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

3. In western Europe the Russian metropolitan in Paris, serving congregations of escaped/exiled Russians, eventually ended up under the patriarch of Constantinople and is under him today.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 02:29:54 PM by Serge » Logged

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 03:17:12 PM »

Thanks Serge, I did wonder about this 3rd group and how it came to be.
JoeS

3. In western Europe the Russian metropolitan in Paris, serving congregations of escaped/exiled Russians, eventually ended up under the patriarch of Constantinople and is under him today.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 04:37:09 PM »

Thanks Serge, I did wonder about this 3rd group and how it came to be.
JoeS

[quote/]

Now that the Soviet Union is no more, are there any talks (similar to that between the ROCOR and the MP) between the Paris jurisdiction of the Russians under the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Moscow Patriarchate to restore the same relationship they had prior to "Sergianism"?

Hypo-Ortho

« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 04:51:37 PM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
NDHoosier

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

Exiled from God's Country (North Dakota)

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 05:23:32 PM »

Sergianism? Why, it's the faithful following of Catholics and Orthodox (mostly on the US East Coast for some reason) who read my site!

Oh, then Sergianism IS a heresy!

Tongue heh Grin heh  Cool

There ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a rider that can't be throwed.
Tags: Agent Drozdov 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: