OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should I live the rest of my life as a solitary in silence, stillness and prayer?
Advice on being a hermit - 0 (0%)
Living life of silence, stillness - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox churches in NJ  (Read 604 times) Average Rating: 0
Will of God

Faith: Catholic

« on: December 07, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »

Greetings in Christ,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I am in spiritual quandary. Presently I am Roman Catholic. However, I have stopped attending Mass as I no longer find the fullness of truth in RCC. For several decades I have been drawn to Orthodoxy.  My soul resonates with the ascetical and mystical theology of Orthodox spirituality.
 I have attended three liturgies at a Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Howell, NJ. The liturgy, for the most part, is in Russian. This past Sunday the entre homily was in Russian!
In addition, this church is some distance from my home. I am 66 years old. Driving the distance to this church presents a problem.
My Catholic parish is less than a mile from my home!
I have been considering, therefore, living an eremitic life, totally divorced from the world and devoted to prayer,penance, spiritual reading. Leaving my hermitage only for necessry errands.
Does anyone know of an Orthodox church in my area (Manalapan, NJ) that has
English liturgies? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

English llit
I
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Try contacting them or them.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »

To clarify Michał Kalina's post: the two parishes he links to are listed as within 10 miles of the 07726 zip code.  They are the closest two parishes to your city, and there is a high probability (note: I've never been to either parish, so this isn't 100% certain) that either/both offer services predominantly in English.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:27:27 AM »

Are you looking specifically for Eastern Orthodox.  I am Oriental Orthodox, and I can direct you to some churches in the area as well.  In fact, I don't live far from where you live.

With regards to EO, I also know about a Greek Orthodox Church in Holmdel, NJ, probably a 20 minute ride from Manalapan.

God bless.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:28:45 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »

Will,

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest that you consult the directory at Orthodoxy in America, although the two parishes linked above are indeed the closest to you.

St Paul the Apostle Carpatho-Ruysn Orthodox in Freehold is only about 5 miles from Manalapan. Contact the pastor, Father Robert Lucas at stpafnj@gmail.com . From its website, St Paul's appears to be a vibrant and welcoming parish.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:29:21 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »

Will,

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest that you consult the directory at Orthodoxy in America, although the two parishes linked above are indeed the closest to you.

St Paul the Apostle Carpatho-Ruysn Orthodox in Freehold is only about 5 miles from Manalapan. Contact the pastor, Father Robert Lucas at stpafnj@gmail.com . From its website, St Paul's appears to be a vibrant and welcoming parish.

Many years,

Neil

Did not know there was one in Freehold.  That is much closer indeed.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Will of God

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Try contacting them or them.
Thank you.
Will of God

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

To clarify Michał Kalina's post: the two parishes he links to are listed as within 10 miles of the 07726 zip code.  They are the closest two parishes to your city, and there is a high probability (note: I've never been to either parish, so this isn't 100% certain) that either/both offer services predominantly in English.
Thank you.
Will of God

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »

Are you looking specifically for Eastern Orthodox.  I am Oriental Orthodox, and I can direct you to some churches in the area as well.  In fact, I don't live far from where you live.

With regards to EO, I also know about a Greek Orthodox Church in Holmdel, NJ, probably a 20 minute ride from Manalapan.

God bless.
I would like to explore Oriental Orthodox churches in my area. I have never been to a Coptic liturgy. I will do an internet search. However, perhaps, you have locations that I might not discover. My zip code is 07726.

Thank you.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »

God bless.
I would like to explore Oriental Orthodox churches in my area. I have never been to a Coptic liturgy. I will do an internet search. However, perhaps, you have locations that I might not discover. My zip code is 07726.

Thank you.

Yes, the two closest Coptic churches are in Holmdel and Howell.  I personally pray at Holmdel, St. Mina's Church:
http://saintmina-holmdel.org/new/
Archangel Michael in Howell:
http://www.archangelmichaelchurch.net/
St. Mary's in East Brunswick is also another one:
http://www.saint-mary.net/

We try to do things mixed, Arabic and English (along with liturgical Coptic) at St. Mina's.  After the gospel, the priests will say most of the sermon in English.  After the Eucharist, there's also another sermon done around the same time as when the kids go to Sunday School (so it's a much longer one).  Every week, the priests alternate, and the younger priest's first language is English, so he's more comfortable doing the sermon in English (so alternating Arabic/English post-liturgical sermons every week).

I think the closest Armenian Church is in Elberon, NJ.  However, I'm not sure if you'll benefit spiritually from it.  I recently talked with an Armenian from the Armenian cathedral in NY, who explained to me the importance of keeping the ancient Armenian language in the liturgical services, not even the modern Armenian language, and certainly no English.  So, I don't know, but you can always contact them:
http://www.ststepanos.org/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:23:59 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: